[comp.sys.mac] Upgrade Policies

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (08/25/89)

In article <3986@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Robert J. Hammen) writes:
>In article <11238@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>>
>>I recently bought S.U.M. 1.1 from Symantec.
>>

>Or get the SUM II upgrade (hopefully for free, in your case). BTW, there is a
>new version of DiskExpress coming out, DiskExpress II (geez, where are all of
>these Roman numerals coming from?). The way their ads describe it, it sounds
>like an INIT ("always optimizing your drive when your Mac is inactive" or
>somesuch. I called Alsoft today: the upgrade is $28, the list is $89.95, but if
>you buy it now for $69.95 list (MacConnection is cheaper), you'll get the
>upgrade for free...

Aside:  Yes, David, getting the SUM II update will cure most of your
gripes.

Bob's comment on the SUM and DiskExpress updates, reminds me of a
constant thorn in my side - Software Update policies.  There are
several items that really bug me.  Yeah, I guess this is whining;
companies are in the business to make money, unfortunately, at ALL
costs, but I'd still be curious to see other people's opinions.

1.  If I have MacProgram v1.0 which I bought 3 years ago, and somone
gets version 1.0 from MacConnection two days before some update is
released, I pay and he doesn't.  As nice as it is when you are on the
receiving end, it is really stupid.  Either the update is worth paying
for, or it isn't.  He is getting exactly what I am, but is paying less
for it.  I can understand that if I have 1.0 and he has 1.12, then I
might have to pay more for an update to version 2.0 (because I am
probably going to get not only the update, but any fixes/added
features he already received in 1.12).  That's fair.  I understand the
psychological motivations behind the "bought-withing-last-X-days =
free-update" concept, but it still seems kinda dumb.

2.  At the MacWorld Expo, at the System 7.0 panel discussion,
discussion was raised to the effect that probably many programs' print
routines will bomb when Apple releases the new Print Manager.  Guy
Kawasaki commented that companies will undoubtably release
compatibility updates for "under $20".  BullSh*t!!  Those puppies
should be free, or, at most $5 to pay for shipping and the cost of the
disk. Companies should not charge for bug fixes or system
compatibility updates.

However, then you get the easy way out: when a bug fix is due,
companies will delay shipment until they can throw in a few new
features.  This allows them to charge $50 for the update, rather than
having to foot the bill for the big fix alone.

How about some responsibility and loyalty to the customer base, for
cryin' out loud.  Updates, in general, are too expensive for what we
get.

I can illustrate my points in what I consider to be the sh*ttiest
update announcement ever in Mac history:  Excel 2.2

Get this.  The biggy is that Excel 2.2 cracks the 1 Mb barrier.
Ooooh! Pinch me!  Can it really be true?  As an aside they throw in
~65 new functions (pretty minor ones, from what I've been told - 99%
of users probably won't even use them), the ability to use multiple
fonts and colors in rows and columns and variable row height (plus a
few other weird things) and to boot, it runs about 20% SLOWER on a
Plus or SE than 1.5 did.  All this can be yours for $100!!!!!!!!!
This is ludicrous.  Basically, they release an update that allows the
program to run the way it should have at release date (except the
colors - they weren't really around then) and they want an extra $100
for it.  As an added slap in the face, the retail price remains at
$395.  Which means that those you who bought Excel from the beginning,
and religiously upgraded get screwed for an extra $100 while the
people who go out and buy it today get it all for the same price you
originally paid.  Talk about crapping on the customer base - what
about the people who bought the thing early and helped make Excel what
it is today?

As for me, I think I'm going to ditch the Excel update and find
another spreadsheet.  It's a great spreadsheet, but this really gets
my cookies in an uproar.

Best update policy I've dealt with:  Williams & Macias

I had myDiskLabeller without color.  When Systme 5.0 came out,and I
got an ImageWriter II, I found a bug that prevented me from printing
in color from my Plus.  I called them an the next day, I had the
newest version of the program, not only with the bug fixed, but with a
couple of new features. All for shipping of $2.98.  Small companies
still respect the customer base.

Oh well, enough whining.  Please don't attempt to change my mind - you
can't.  However, I'm curious to hear other people's upgrading
woes/kudos.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414

mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Annechiarico) (08/26/89)

In article <925@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:

>Bob's comment on the SUM and DiskExpress updates, reminds me of a
>constant thorn in my side - Software Update policies.  There are
>several items that really bug me.  Yeah, I guess this is whining;
>companies are in the business to make money, unfortunately, at ALL
>costs, but I'd still be curious to see other people's opinions.

.
.
.
>As for me, I think I'm going to ditch the Excel update and find
>another spreadsheet.  It's a great spreadsheet, but this really gets
>my cookies in an uproar.
>
>Best update policy I've dealt with:  Williams & Macias

Opinion time?  Ok.  I'd like a better upgrade policy everywhere, but I
don't expect it.  It's nice to have any at all; when was the last time
you received an upgrade offer on a textbook?  (I've got two editions of
Samuelson's Economics, and they're both out of date.  I have no idea what
number it's up to by now).

I think you've found the best approach: what's the competition for Excel,
and what is THEIR upgrade policy?  (I know - Wingz, and they don't *have*
a policy, yet.  Hmmm.)

Thanks for the information on Williams & Macias.  I'll look at their
products.

Eric Carleen
University of Rochester Medical Center
(716)-275-5391
Bitnet: heartedc@uorhbv
Internet: mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away". - Tom Waits

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/29/89)

	In <925@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328)
rants (perhaps with some justification) about software upgrade policies.
Here's something that's been bugging me for a while.  We've used IDD's
MacDraft for a long time and like it.  It has a few quirks, and some
serious drawbacks, but for the money it was a pretty reasonable program
when it came out.  The only serious feature it was lacking was the ability
to do rotated text (other than N*90 degress), which we use a lot around
here.  When we got a big-screen mac, we discovered it had some bugs which
made it crash on a big screen, but IDD sent us a bugfix upgrade for some
reasonable amount of money ($25, or something like that).

	Then, Dreams came out and IDD wanted something like $200 for it if
you were a registered MacDraft owner.  Note that they didn't call it an
upgrade, but rather the $200 deal was a discount on the new program.
Granted, it is changed a lot, but it's not really a new program.  The file
structure is changed (I suspect a lot of the limitations of MacDraft were
due to poorly designed file structure) and there are a bunch of new
features (many of them quite nice), and some bug fixes, but it sure feels
more like MacDraft-II than a new program, complete with a new (higher)
pricetag.  I think list is something like $400 and you can get it for about
$260 from software discounters.  Anyway, we bought the program, if only to
get the rotated text feature, but it still gnaws at me that we got ripped
off.

	Now, before anybody flames me, let me point out that I have said
many times in the past that if you know what the program does, and you know
how much it cost, and you agree to pay that price for it, and it does whey
they advertize it to do, you havn't really gotten ripped off.  You could
have decided it wasn't worth what they were asking for it and declined to
buy it.  But it *still* bothers me. :-)
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

bj@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Brion Johnson) (08/29/89)

Updates are a hassel and cost alot in time as well as money.  If I am
a typical user, then the average mac user has around 7 major applications,
(those applications that get used *a lot* - several times a week) 20
minor applications (once a month or so), and a smattering of other things
such as DA's, INIT's etc.  Keeping up current with all of these programs
involves dealing with as many different companies - say 35 to 40 of them,
each with a different policy, method, etc.

Having the update in hand is only part of the struggle.  The update must
then be installed, the old version archived and eventually removed, and
the manuals updated.  Then the new version must be learned (which sometimes
is a major task - I still haven't finished getting thru More II for example)
and carefully checked for compatibility with inits, the system, printers,
etc.  And then, on occasion, the old data files don't recognise the new
version and launch it (MacWrite II for example - shame, Claris!) so I
have to go launch it manually and look for the data file for it once I
get in it. And, every once in a while the new version will mangle data
created with a prior version or will totally blow up when launched.

Finally, I get to the registration cards.  Most companies put cards with
their updates, which I dutifully (eventually) fill out and send in.  A few
companies recognise the fact that I had to prove to them that I owned the
original, and so they don't bother me with registering again.  And some
companies send a followup questionaire to me after a week or two, long
enough that I have usually forgotten the update session by the time that
the questionaire arrives (send it WITH the update, please, if you must).

To sum up, it is a hassel to keep up with all the diverse updates from
a bunch of companies that each think I have their product as my only
application. I appreciate most those companies that make it easy on me.

This tome was NOT a flame, just a primordial scream of frustration...

Brion

jaynes@sequent.UUCP (Steve Jaynes) (08/30/89)

Every possible combination of upgrade policy has prevaded computer-user
land since Babage needed new gears for his calculating machine.  However I
had the unsupressable urge to comment:

Books are a faily poor comparison, in that very few book owners have to
exchange data with fellow book owners, and expect their computations or
activities to continue to function correctly.  Business and professional
computer users do.  I might add, and do they must, irrespective of the make
or size of the computer.

I would like all the publishers out there to listen up, for us professionals
who are now totally addicted to these keystoke mongers, to provide reliable
update subscription services for products which are dynamic.  If
significant enhancements are planned, then market the product that way, and
charge what the service is worth, and then deliver the value which has been
promised.  Example MS WORD Ver X.?.  If the product is static, then say so,
and offer the same deal.  Example: Reflex Plus.

Value is determined by Functionality, manual changes, etc.

Additionally, as expensive as major programs are, (over $150.00 to $750.00
for one user) a year of free updates in not an unreasonable thing to expect.
Just send in your trusty software registration card and Voir la!

Presently off of soapbox and returning to serious Mac'ing.

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (08/30/89)

In article <925@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:

>Bob's comment on the SUM and DiskExpress updates, reminds me of a
>constant thorn in my side - Software Update policies.  There are
>several items that really bug me.  Yeah, I guess this is whining;
>companies are in the business to make money, unfortunately, at ALL
>costs, but I'd still be curious to see other people's opinions.

One recent example of a good upgrade policy is with Acius and their
4th Dimension software.  Acius just sent out notices to ALL of their
4D registered owners, offering them two choices for upgrading to
version 2.0.  They can either get a FREE upgrade of the software, with
an upgrade manual that describes the new features and changes, OR they
can pay $80 for a completely new set of manuals along with the software.

That means that people who want to take their chances get a free
upgrade, including the bug fixes, changes, and all the new features,
but people who want a set of the new documentation can pay a very
reasonable sum and get all of the new manuals.  When you think about
how much documentation the first version came with, this really does
look like a good deal.

Not everyone has an upgrade policy that'll make everyone happy (end
users and shareholders both have to be considered!), but it's good to
know that some companies, not just small ones, have the end users in
mind from the start.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** (cornell!)biar!memory!mha