[comp.sys.mac] Can MacDraw II print halftones?

housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) (08/30/89)

Is it possible to get MacDrawII to print halftones of
grayscale images?  I have had no luck so far - even
with version 6.0 of the Laserwriter driver and 32-bit
QuickDraw etc.

What I would like to be able to do is to Paste a gray
scale image into something like MacDraw and then
annotate with circles and arrows and a paragraph
etc. and then print it - with a reasonable halftone
rendering of the gray scale image.  Does anyone have
any recommendations/preferences for software to
do this?

Thanks heaps -

Kevin

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (08/31/89)

In article <2869@ssc-vax.UUCP> housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) writes:

>What I would like to be able to do is to Paste a gray
>scale image into something like MacDraw and then
>annotate with circles and arrows and a paragraph
>etc. and then print it - with a reasonable halftone
>rendering of the gray scale image.

Probably the best software for doing this (short of using some kind
of "desktop presentation" package) is Canvas 2.0, from Deneba
Software.  Canvas will accept TIFF images and allow the user to
annotate with PICT type objects like arrows, circles, etc.
It also has excellent text handling functions, so that accompanying
paragraphs can contain text with variable formatting (mixed bold,
italic, etc.).  I'm not sure how true a halftone rendering you
will get, but my recollection is that very acceptable output can
be had, depending on your device.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |