[comp.sys.mac] HELP ME

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (08/31/89)

In article <4273@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> barry@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Barry Fausnaugh) writes:

><-------------------------------Phonenet---(AppleTalk zone 1)----------------->
>  |		|	  |		|	    |   	|	|
>  |	 	|	  |		|	    |   	|	|
>User A	      User B    User C	      User D	    |         User E  User F
>						NetBridge
>
>The problem is that users A,B,E and F all have full
>access to the network (i.e. all the zone information appears and they are able
>to access the servers and LaserWriters located in zone 3.  However, users
>C and D get no zone access but they are able to access the LaserWriter's located
>in their own zone.  (* Note that users in zone 3 and zone 1 can also access
>those same LaserWriter *).

Well, it looks like you have a major problem here because the
configuration looks ok.  I can only suggest a couple of things to try:

1.  Check the length of the connections for C & D.  If they are like >
15 feet from the backbone, you may want to try shortening them.

2.  Try swapping A with C and D to see if it might be the machines.

3.  Buy a copy of Kinetics' LAN Ranger and/or Farallon's CheckNet and
TrafficWatch to get a bird's-eye view of what is happening.

4.  Check for software installed on C and D that is not on the others.
Check for software installed on the others that is not on C and D.

It seems really strange that C and D can see the LaserWriter but not
the other zones.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414