[comp.sys.mac] Backing up the Desktop

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/31/89)

In article <9419@chinet.chi.il.us> magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) writes:
>I'm currently using Fastback II and am less than thrilled.  I guess that
>getting all of your files in the proper folder on a full restore is good
>enough on a PC, but on a Mac I'd really like to have the windows and files
>in the right sizes and places.  I understand that SUM II's backup can do
>a disk image backup so that after a restore everything is where you want it
>to be.  Do any other backup pgms. do this?

If I understand things correctly, whether the windows and file locations are
preserved depends entirely on whether the desktop file is backed up -- and,
more importantly, whether it's copied back when restored.  Obviously, the
ONLY time you'd want the current desktop written over with the old one is
when you're completely junking what's currently on the disk -- as you say, a
disk image backup.  But if you were making an incremental restore, I don't
think you'd get those file positions preserved -- nor would you be able to
from several incremental backups.  I'm not 100% sure on this one, though,
and would like some validation from other sources.

I believe the backup program I use (DiskFit) does back up the desktop file
on a complete backup -- but I've been backing up to tape, so I'm not sure
this is true for backing up to floppies and other media.

                        Selections from TOP 10 PROMOTIONAL SLOGANS REJECTED
                        BY NBC IN FAVOR OF "Come Home To NBC":

                             8. Look, there's nothing we can do about Gene
                                Shalit.
                             6. We're Beatrice.
                             5. No more Robert Blake, we promise.
                             4. The rich meaty taste dogs love.
                             2. Roger Mudd: You want him, We got him.
                                           -- Late Night with David Letterman
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...