[comp.sys.mac] MacLayers or System V uw server??

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (08/28/89)

I have both a Mac and a UNIX machine (AT&T 3b1).  The UNIX machine runs a
bastard version of System V -- V.0 with Convergent enhancements -- but AT&T
did put in a Layers driver which supposedly works.  Once upon a time there was
something on the net about a piece of software called MacLayers, which was a
Mac program that would emulate a Layers windowing terminal.  It was said to be
pretty buggy as I recall, but this has been a while.  (Please don't take
offense if you are the author of MacLayers!)  What's the status of MacLayers?
Is there anything else similar?

uw is said to be extremely nifty, but the uw server I believe only runs on BSD
not System V, & I believe requires sockets.  There is a public domain socket
driver for the 3b1 that is hot off the press, but it may take a while before it
becomes completely stable.  There is a public domain pty driver for the 3b1
independent of the socket code too -- I believe that's pretty stable by now
though I never brought it up.  Has anybody ported the uw server to System V?
If so, what does it require?

The 3b1 has its own native half-assed window system, but I'm coveting a large
screen for my Mac.  It would be easier to rationalize it if I could use it
for the UNIX machine too via something that would give me layers or uw
functionality.  Any help appreciated.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) (08/30/89)

In article <458@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>did put in a Layers driver which supposedly works.  Once upon a time there was
>something on the net about a piece of software called MacLayers, which was a
>Mac program that would emulate a Layers windowing terminal.  It was said to be
>pretty buggy as I recall, but this has been a while.  (Please don't take
>offense if you are the author of MacLayers!)  What's the status of MacLayers?
>Is there anything else similar?

MacLayers basically does "DMD" (AT&T 5620) emulation ("layers") on the
Macintosh under a System V environment.

MacLayers was written a few years ago by Tom Rhodes (at the time) working at
AT&T Bell Laboratories.  As of a few months ago, he left AT&T to go to work
for Compaq.

MacLayers is considered (as I understand) by both Tom and AT&T to be owned by
AT&T.  I am aware of no plans for the marketing of MacLayers, but some work
may be underway for continued ehnancements and/or support internal to AT&T.

At the time, I had only a standard-screen Mac, and I just tried MacLayers on
a quick-checkout basis.  It worked multi-window just fine as a "glass-tty".
I did NOT try any terminal emulation-type functionality, such as screen
editors, ...

davet@oakhill.UUCP (David Trissel) (08/31/89)

In article <2810@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka,ih,) writes:

>>did put in a Layers driver which supposedly works.  Once upon a time there was
>>something on the net about a piece of software called MacLayers, which was a
>>Mac program that would emulate a Layers windowing terminal.

>MacLayers basically does "DMD" (AT&T 5620) emulation ("layers") on the
>Macintosh under a System V environment.
>
>MacLayers was written a few years ago by Tom Rhodes (at the time) working at
>AT&T Bell Laboratories.  As of a few months ago, he left AT&T to go to work
>for Compaq.

There is another software package (unfortunately with the same MacLayers name)
which has just started beta testing by some USEnet volunteers for release
in probably a few weeks. This MacLayers was initially coded to run with
System V and the AT&T xt protocol but due to non-portable AT&T code was
abandoned only to be resurrected with a BSD socket interface. Since
Release 4 of System V will support sockets this software package should
run with System V starting with Release 4.

An announcement will be made in this newsgroup when the package is posted
to the net.

 -- Dave Trissel  Austin

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (09/01/89)

In article <2364@oakhill.UUCP>, davet@oakhill.UUCP (David Trissel) writes:

> There is another software package (unfortunately with the same MacLayers name)
> which has just started beta testing by some USEnet volunteers for release
> in probably a few weeks. This MacLayers was initially coded to run with
> System V and the AT&T xt protocol but due to non-portable AT&T code was
> abandoned only to be resurrected with a BSD socket interface. Since
> Release 4 of System V will support sockets this software package should
> run with System V starting with Release 4.
>
> An announcement will be made in this newsgroup when the package is posted
> to the net.
>
>  -- Dave Trissel  Austin

[SORRY guys,I tried mail, but I cant reach oakhill.UUCP!]

Dave, did the SysV version work?  Is the problem with porting to non-AT&T
systems?  If so, I would *really* like a copy of your xt-protocol version
of MacLayers.  I'm sure there are more of us who will be on SysV machines
forever, and we probably won't get SVR4 for a least a year.  After all,
you have to allow for the release (next year) plus some vendor hacking
(to a vax, for example), then our computer center will have to evaluate,
then add local mods, then....

If you could make the old version available....  There would be a
greatly appreciative audience!

Of course, if non-portable means proprietary, that's another thing

Thanks,

Stuart

--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on