[comp.sys.mac] Disklock ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (08/28/89)

I recently saw a blurb for a new product called DISKLOCK, does anyone know
anything about it ?  Is it available yet, and if so where ?  What are other
programs that will protect yourr desktop when you have to share your Mac
with others ?  Any recommendations ?  I'm looking for something that will...

      1. password protection on objects (files, folders, volumes)
      2. lock objects so their place on the desktop can't be changed
      3. allow read only on certain docs
      4. lock applications so they can't be pirated casually
      5. easy to use and doesn't alter the desktop look and feel
      6. Possibly would encrypt/decrypt automatically on specified files

I'll summarize responses and post if there are requests.......

Thanks,

Mark Rosenberg  <21602MR@MSU>
Education Systems Development
Michigan State University

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (08/30/89)

Does anyone have any info on Disklock, I saw a blurb about it somewhere but
don't remember where.  What are people using for securing hard disks from
wandering eyes and pirates ?  I'd like to find something that would....

      1. Lock down objects on the desktop/in folders
      2. Password protect folders/applications/documents
      3. Prevent theft of applications
      4. Possibly encrypt/decrypt docs
      5. Finally, all these things should be done in such a way so
         the look and feel of the mac environment is preserved...

  Any recommendations ?

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (09/01/89)

In article <10021602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
>I recently saw a blurb for a new product called DISKLOCK, does anyone know
>anything about it ?  Is it available yet, and if so where ?

	DiskLock is actually a combination of two products. DiskLock and
FolderLock.  DiskLock allows you to password protect any SCSI drive (INCLUDING
individual 45 removable cartridges!!) so that that device will NOT mount
without the correct password (you can have both/either drive specific and/or
a master password).  What it does is patch the SCSI driver on the disk so that
it will ALWAYS ask no matter how it is mounted!
	FolderLock allows you to do the same things for folders (and individual
files) and also has the same nice feature that due to the SCSI driver patch it
is ALWAYS there and can't be bypassed.
	It was written by one of Apple's SCSI experts so it is VERY reliable
and sound (and for you techies, it patches _0_ traps!).  I use it on my Mac
(also alpha/beta tested it) and I LOVE IT!
	Oh, it is currently being sold by Fifth Generation Systems for about
$99 (going up after Sept 1, I think..See MacWeek for details).

>What are other programs that will protect yourr desktop when you have to
>share your Mac with others ?  Any recommendations ?  I'm looking for
>something that will...
>
>      1. password protection on objects (files, folders, volumes)
>      2. lock objects so their place on the desktop can't be changed
>      3. allow read only on certain docs
>      4. lock applications so they can't be pirated casually
>      5. easy to use and doesn't alter the desktop look and feel
>      6. Possibly would encrypt/decrypt automatically on specified files

	Given that set of criteria, you might serious look into a product from
Casady & Greene, Inc. called A.I.M. (used to be A.C.E.) which offers EVERY
concievable protection for your Mac - not just disks.  You can get up who
you want to give access to, what levels of access they have and to what (sort
of like AppleShare BUT MORE POWERFUL!).  It looks like a great product for use
in a lab or public access situation where you need to limit all sorts of access
to all sorts of aspects of the Macintosh.  I have not had a chance to play with
it yet, but from people I have talked to it is unstable and quirky and I do not
want a product of this nature to be quirky... (for techies, this oen patches
_89_ traps (plus the SCSI and Serial Drivers!))

Disclaimer: I know the programmers of both products, and helped test DiskLock,
but other than that it's only my opinion...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/01/89)

Close, Leonard, but no cigar. It's called A.M.E., not A.I.M. Same
pronunciation, different spelling.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)