[comp.sys.mac] Need Recommendations On Grammar/Style Checkers

jimison@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bryan Jimison) (08/31/89)

Can anyone recommend a Grammer/Style checker that runs on the Macintosh?
I am looking for something that checks for common grammatical errors and
possibly evaluates what audience level the document is suited for.

Thank you in advance!
Bryan

Bryan Jimison                   | D:  I speak for me.  Leave BGSU alone!
451 Thurstin Ave. #102          | UUCP: ...!cbatt!osu-cis!bgsuvax!jimison
Bowling Green, OH 43402         | CSnet: jimison@andy.bgsu.edu

mpip@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Annechiarico) (08/31/89)

In article <4875@bgsuvax.UUCP> jimison@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bryan Jimison) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a Grammer/Style checker that runs on the Macintosh?
>I am looking for something that checks for common grammatical errors and
>possibly evaluates what audience level the document is suited for.

I asked the same question about 10 days ago, and intended to wait a couple
more days before I summarized the responses.  I guess that now is good
enough.

Two people responded (THANKS!); a summary isn't necessary...  I've attached
the replies.

Eric

My personal opinion is that the programs that are available aren't
worth diddly.  I got suckered into buying Doug Clapp's Word Tools
because it has his name on it and I respect him, but it was only after
I bought the package that I found out that he was looking to get his
name off the product in any way he could.  I guess he still hasn't
succeeded, but...

The grammar checkers provide some value, I guess, but they certainly don't
revolutionize your writing... at least DC'sWT.  Wait until something comes
out that uses some form of AI and expect to pay a bundle.

and

bother than they are worth. You are much better off sitting down and
reading a grammar primer. You'll be surprised how much of it will
stick now, as opposed to when you were a kid.

What happens with these programs is they flag parts of your writing as
flawed. After a while you know when you're composing something that WT
is going to complain so you rewrite it. You know what it's looking for.

Every time you write `her' or `his' it complains "Are you sure this
isn't a sexist phrase?" Most of the time it isn't unless you're from
the Bronx...

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (09/01/89)

In article <4875@bgsuvax.UUCP> jimison@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bryan Jimison) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a Grammer/Style checker that runs on the Macintosh?
>I am looking for something that checks for common grammatical errors and
>possibly evaluates what audience level the document is suited for.

Well, I've used MacProof quite a bit.  It does some "looking" for
commonly misused/inappropriate phrases.  It also has full support for
gathering all the statistics you need to evaluate the reader level.

You may find that most software that claims to do proof reading to be
lacking.  It is still a computationally "hard" problem for a computer
to evaluate documentation.  The capabilities I like in MacProof is to
change the way I can view my document. It can show me first/last
sentences of my paragraphs, for instance, that helps me to see if my
paragraphs start and end on somewhat the same idea.  The views like
that I find to me much more useful than the straight textual checks.

It comes in both a DA and application with rather extensive thesaurus,
phrase and spelling dictionaries.

I got mine at MacConnection.  It is from some company that derives its
name from the word "lexical", but for the life of me I can't remember
exactly what.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414

MSR104@PSUVM.BITNET (Mike Rineer) (09/02/89)

We recently got one here called Sensible Grammar.  It's made by Sensible
Software.  I haven't used it extensively yet, but from the few times I did
try it, it seems to be an excellent piece of software.  It and all it's files
fit easily on an 800k floppy, and it even comes with a sample MacWrite
document full of errors that you can try it out on.  It can read MacWrite 5.0,
MSWord 3.xx documents, and I believe it reads several other formats as
well.  We got it for around $60, but that includes a university discount.

Standard Disclaimer:  I am in no way affiliated with the Sensible Software
                      corporation.

--Mike
-------
Michael S. Rineer                   *  "I would just as soon eat my own ear
msr104@psuvm                        |   wax.  And we all know how horrid
msr104@psuvm.psu.edu                *   that tastes, right kids?"
msr104@psusun01.psu.edu             |
...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!msr104     *             -- Rik
<<                              >>  |                The Young Ones