[comp.sys.mac] Mac plus and ADB

d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se. (Martin Carlberg) (08/10/89)

Hi everybody!

    Can I connect a ADB keyboard I got from my Mac II to a Mac plus ?
I guess I have to buy some device or whatever to do this. Anybody knows if
it's possibly to buy a thing like that?

- Martin Carlberg
- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

delbarre@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (kelvin.a.delbarre) (08/11/89)

In article <534@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:
>    Can I connect a ADB keyboard I got from my Mac II to a Mac plus ?
>I guess I have to buy some device or whatever to do this. Anybody knows if
>it's possibly to buy a thing like that?
>
>- Martin Carlberg
>- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

As long as we're asking this question, how about the reverse?
I have no use whatsoever for a numeric keypad and all the
rest of that junk, especially at the cost of covering about
two square feet of desk space and moving my mouse about a
yard over to the right.  I'd like to take my old, original
128K-Mac keyboard and put it on a Mac IIcx.  Really!  I realize
that the protocol used by the old keyboard is very different
from ADB, so hardware and dollars will be involved.
Failing that, does anybody make a SMALL keyboard for ADB?

  Kelvin Delbarre, attunix!kd

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/14/89)

In article <1441@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> delbarre@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (kelvin.a.delbarre) writes:
>Failing that, does anybody make a SMALL keyboard for ADB?

I don't know whether they still do, but Apple *did*: The IIGS keyboard
is ADB, has all the keys of the regular Mac ADB keyboard, but is much
smaller.  The case ends just past the keys, no waisted space.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent

delbarre@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (kelvin.a.delbarre) (08/16/89)

In article <1441@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, I wrote:
> ...  I'd like to take my old, original
> 128K-Mac keyboard and put it on a Mac IIcx.  ...
> Failing that, does anybody make a SMALL keyboard for ADB?

I received four email replies (and saw one followup posting).
Most people mentioned that the Apple IIGS keyboard is ADB
compatible, but much smaller, and should work on a Mac II (etc.)
One respondent said that the IIGS keyboard seems to have the
same layout as the "Standard" Mac ADB keyboard, but in a much
smaller package.  One person mentioned the Standard keyboard
as preferable to the "Enhanced" model, and I agree, but think
it still wastes too much space.

Too bad about the old keyboard; I found I was able to type
much faster on it than on the newer ones.  Anyway,
I'll check out the IIGS model.  Many thanks to att!occrsh!jdsb,
aron@garnet.Berkeley.EDU, bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu,
h+@nada.kth.se, and anyone who was unable to get through!

  Kelvin Delbarre, attunix!kd

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/16/89)

In article <1441@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> delbarre@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (kelvin.a.delbarre) writes:
>yard over to the right.  I'd like to take my old, original
>128K-Mac keyboard and put it on a Mac IIcx.  Really!  I realize
>that the protocol used by the old keyboard is very different
>from ADB, so hardware and dollars will be involved.
>Failing that, does anybody make a SMALL keyboard for ADB?

I talked with some folks from DataDesk International a few months ago, and they said
that they had a box in the works that would allow non-ADB keyboards to be connected
to a Mac SE and up.  Haven't heard much from them since, and I have a Plus, so I
don't really care...  You might check with them, though...

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

rcbamw@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (m.waucomont) (08/17/89)

In article <534@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:
>Hi everybody!
>
>    Can I connect a ADB keyboard I got from my Mac II to a Mac plus ?
>I guess I have to buy some device or whatever to do this. Anybody knows if
>it's possibly to buy a thing like that?
>
>- Martin Carlberg
>- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

Well, Chipmunk International (Netherlands) sells kits to modify SE keyboards
so they can be hooked up to a Plus. The kit includes a microcontroller, two
small PCB's with Mac Plus keyboard connectors and a disk with key-layouts.

This disk contains a keylayout named MO115. If I am right, this is the Mac II
keyboard. But I am not sure if the microcontroller will work in the Mac II
keyboard as well, cause their installation leaflet only showed how to install
it in a SE keyboard. Check with them for more info:

Chipmunk International
Jeroen Boschlaan 216
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont

shino@qip.UUCP (Rei Shinozuka) (09/02/89)

>Failing that, does anybody make a SMALL keyboard for ADB?
>
>  Kelvin Delbarre, attunix!kd

Apple does, for the Apple II GS.  I use it on my SE because I don't
feel that I need a keyboard the size of an aircraft carrier on my
less-than-drydock-proportioned desk.  I got it as a service part.
I like it a lot.

-rei