[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 and Hard-Drives

tantuico@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Samuel B Tantuico) (07/23/89)

I think I remember a discussion a few months ago about the SE/30
and some problems with it's internal hard-drive.  Could someone
please e-mail me the details of it.. or where I can find the
archives?

I'm having problems with my 40 meg drive.  At start-up it can't seem
to find it, but after booting up with a 3 1/2" disk the hard-drive icon
will not appear.  ONLY after shutting down and restarting again will
it find the hard-drive...

-sAm

                       || Youth is when you blame all your troubles on
 Rutgers-Newark COSII  || your parents. Maturity is when you learn that
[] tantuico@draco.rutgers.edu

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (07/24/89)

tantuico@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Samuel B Tantuico) writes:

>I'm having problems with my 40 meg drive.  At start-up it can't seem
>to find it, but after booting up with a 3 1/2" disk the hard-drive icon
>will not appear.  ONLY after shutting down and restarting again will
>it find the hard-drive...

Me too. One of the grad students here has a Seagate 3.5" 40MB in her
MacII. Does anyone have the range of faulty serial numbers handy that
thay can repost on the board. I didn't think we had any of these
Seagates in my department... oh well.

thanks,

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (07/25/89)

In article <20018@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

>Me too. One of the grad students here has a Seagate 3.5" 40MB in her
>MacII. Does anyone have the range of faulty serial numbers handy that
>thay can repost on the board.

From the June 13, 1989 issue of MacWeek:  "Drives covered have serial numbers
ranging from 00335507 through 01023016...the serial number is near the the
drive's 50 pin connector."

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

rory@celerity.uucp (Thomas (Rory) Bolt) (07/28/89)

	I have also had intermittant problems with the hard drive in my SE/30.
My setup is a SE/30, 4MB ram, and an Apple 80MB internal disk drive (Quantum).
The symptom is that the machine will not boot from the hard disk, and if booted
from a floppy the hard disk will not show up. I tried cycling the power, zapping
parameter ram, etc... to no avail. Usually the machine would just decide to
become bootable again of its own free will within 10-15 minutes. Once the machine
would not boot for a 24 hour period. Since I am a consultant specializing in
SCSI peripherals, I was able to hook up a SCSI bus analyzer when the drive was
in its confused state... (a matter of having all the equipment available when
the drive was misbehaving - a rare occurance :-) ). Anyway, the drive was
reporting a check condition on all accesses to the media. Upon issueing a request
sense command, the drive returned a sense key of 0x04 (hardware error) and an
extended sense code of 0xC8 (vendor unique error code :-( ). My machine was under
warranty so I had my drive replaced, and I told the Apple repair center the
information I had found, but to my dismay the paperwork that was sent to Apple
said only "Drive won't boot - sometimes.". Since this was a very intermittant
problem for me (three occurances in a little over a month of constant use) I am
posting this information in the hopes that it will help someone at Apple or
Quantum. I have no doubts that when they received my old drive and tested it,
they found no problem.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (09/02/89)

A friend of mine had this problem with his SE/30.  (Hard disk is not
recognized at power-on, at random times).  The problem seemed to go
away when the room was well-refrigerated.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies