[comp.sys.mac] Hard Disc Failures

nino@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Nino Mateos) (08/23/89)

There are clearly two different types of disc boot up failures being
covered in these notes recently.

The first is the failure of the drive to start spinning at all.
This is fixed by "kickstarting" or putting the Mac or drive on its face,
 or some other abnormal position. This has been explained as
bieng caused by the heads sticking to the surface of the media
or a dead spot on the rotor of the drive motor. Hey, I can understand this!

The second failure still has me puzzled. This is the failure of
the Mac to recognize the drive after it has spun up. Turning the drive
(power) on and off again will (eventually) bring it back up to where the
Mac will recognize it. The only plausable explanation for this so far has
been a bad EPROM on some of the older Macs. For those of us with
more recent Macs, the EPROM explanation is not our answer.
Somebody out there has got to know what is going on inside these
drives. Those of us out of warranty would appreciate some ideas as to what
the problem is. I, for one, am facing the day when the on-off power
cycle will no longer bring it up. Does somebody have a software "kickstart"?

Nino Mateos
nino@dtc.hp.com

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/25/89)

> This is the failure of the Mac to recognize the drive after it has spun up.
> Turning the drive (power) on and off again will (eventually) bring it back
> up to where the Mac will recognize it.
> Does somebody have a software "kickstart"?

	in the past, I had used MacZAP's Recovery Tools which often allowed
	me to mount a drive when nothing else worked.  Since a few weeks,
	I've been using SCSIprobe - and there are differences in release
	1.1 and 2.01 which make it advisable to keep both in your System
	Folder ... as sometimes 1.1 succeeds in mounting where 2.01 does
	not (don't ask me) ...

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (08/25/89)

In article <870284@hpcilzb.HP.COM> nino@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Nino Mateos) writes:
>There are clearly two different types of disc boot up failures being
>covered in these notes recently.
>
>The first is the failure of the drive to start spinning at all.
>This is fixed by "kickstarting" or putting the Mac or drive on its face,
> or some other abnormal position. This has been explained as
>bieng caused by the heads sticking to the surface of the media
>or a dead spot on the rotor of the drive motor. Hey, I can understand this!
>
>The second failure still has me puzzled. This is the failure of
>the Mac to recognize the drive after it has spun up. Turning the drive
>(power) on and off again will (eventually) bring it back up to where the
>Mac will recognize it. The only plausable explanation for this so far has
>been a bad EPROM on some of the older Macs. For those of us with

I don't necessarily believe that there are two seperate failures going on
here. Most of the problem descriptions on the nets have sounded like case #1.
I don't think there's any "ROM Problem" (at least not with the Mac) that
causes the machine to not recognize the disk.

Let's give some background information on this problem. Apple has been using
essentially three vendors for its hard drives lately. It has been getting 40
MB Sony, Seagate, and Quantum drives, as well as 80 MB Quantum drives (I'm
not sure who they're using for the 20's - MiniScribe?). Quantum has been
around for a while (we've got a Covalent ShopSystem at work running on an old
Altos with a 10 or 20 MB 5.25" full-height Quantum disk). Their Q-280 drives
became popular (primarily Jasmine's Direct Drive 80 and the Apple 80 MB) in
early '87. By fall of '87, demand for these drives was high, and there were
some problems with "stiction", where the drive did not spin up (I don't
remember the exact details anymore). The solution was to give the disk a good
whack to unstick it (it worked!). Quantum solved those problems.

Last year, they introduced the ProDrive series, very fast 3.5" drives that
quickly replaced the older mechanism. So far, there haven't been too many
complaints, except for the drives Apple has been shipping for the last six
months (more on this in a minute).

Seagate, meanwhile, has been having a lot of quality control problems (like
the 3.5" 30MB mechanism - the plastic spacers on some drives spit out oil
(from the manufacturing process?) onto the media over time, with the end
result being bad blocks developing all over the place), and has had some
"stiction" problems with 40 MB drives that Apple used, at least in SE/30,
II, and IIx machines. This is the "recall" that has been widely publicized.
The affected drive mechanisms have a serial number in the range of 00335507
through 01023016 (the drive serial number is near the 50-pin SCSI connector).

Now we come to the seemingly endless complaints from people here on Usenet
about Apple hard drives. Note that only Apple hard drives seem to be having
problems (many third party vendors use the ProDrive mechanisms in their
drives). Someone posted about this on Compu$erve, and I read a reply from
someone who dissected his IIcx that Apple mounts those drives UPSIDE DOWN in
the machine. I don't have a IIcx - can someone verify this? Howabout the
SE/30?

If you've had ANY problems with a recent Apple 40 or 80 MB drive, I'd appreciate
it if you could send me E-mail. Please include the following info:

Computer Type:
When purchased:
Size of Drive:
Manufacturer of Drive:
Serial # of Drive:
How long before you had problems:
General Description of Problem:

I'll pass this info on to some of the folks at MacWEEK, and maybe we'll see
some action, since it's obvious that Apple is ignoring the problem.

(BTW, the hard disk in my Lino's RIP is a Quantum ProDrive 80, sideways-mount,
and it gets beat on 18+ hours a day and has had ZERO problems...)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ Robert Hammen | Service Bureau Manager and Macintosh Consultant         /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu | uunet!uwmcsd4!hammen | Delphi: HAMMEN         /
/ CI$: 70701,2104 | GEnie: R.Hammen | MacNet: HAMMEN | BIX: rhammen       /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (08/28/89)

In article <3989@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Robert J. Hammen) writes:
 [stuff deleted]

>If you've had ANY problems with a recent Apple 40 or 80 MB drive, I'd
>appreciate it if you could send me E-mail. Please include the following info:
>[stuff deleted]
>
>I'll pass this info on to some of the folks at MacWEEK, and maybe we'll see
>some action, since it's obvious that Apple is ignoring the problem.

[My email seems not to have gotten through, and besides, I think people should
really know about this.]

My Mac IIcx is less than 2 months old and I've already had TWO Apple-supplied
80 Meg hard disks go bad on me.  Details follow:

FIRST DRIVE:
Computer Type:  Mac IIcx (w/4 Meg RAM)
When purchased: 7/6/89
Size of Drive: 80 Meg.
Manufacturer of Drive: Quantum (ProDrive 80)
Serial # of Drive: I don't know which is the serial number - the drive had
                   3 different stickers with the following numbers:
                   80905240845, 0058, 980-80-9402
How long before you had problems: 3 weeks
General Description of Problem: Failure to recognize disk at startup - just
                   got flashing "?" icon.  Booting from floppy showed no
                   hard-disk icon on desktop. After several power-down /
                   power-up cycles (disconnecting power cord in between)
                   functionality returned.  Sometimes this took > 10 cycles
                   and over night.  During failure the hard disk's light would
                   flash periodically.  After functionality had returned
                   the "Apple HD SC Setup" program's "test" function showed
                   no problems with the hard disk.

SECOND DRIVE:
Computer Type:  Mac IIcx (w/4 Meg RAM)
When purchased: Drive replaced 8/9/89 (computer purchased 7/6/89)
Size of Drive: 80 Meg.
Manufacturer of Drive: Quantum (ProDrive 80)
Serial # of Drive: I don't know which is the serial number - the drive had
                   3 different stickers with the following numbers:
                   80907120322, 0032, 980-80-9401
How long before you had problems: 2 weeks
General Description of Problem: Same as above, except this time the drive's
                   light also died.

---
As I mentioned in a previous post, my repair person said to try reviving
the drive by booting with command and option depressed.  I've been told that
this rebuilds the desktop, but nobody seems to have any idea why that should
help in this case.  Maybe it doesn't.  Nonetheless, I tried it once (on my
second drive) and the thing DID boot...

I would not have been too upset about a single disk failure, but having 2 disks
develop problems within the first 2 months of the life of a (lightly used)
machine is really disturbing.  I might even be able to get used to the idea
of having to go in for monthly drive replacements, but now my dealer says
that the drives are back-ordered, and that I'll just have to keep using my
current flaky drive at least until next week.

Having 2 successive failures (along with reports from others) has convinced
me that something is really wrong - there is a real problem with these
drives, or with the way they are mounted, or with the ROMs, or with
something.

Let's hope that the problem is fixed as soon as possibe, and let's keep each
other informed.

 Thanks,  -Lee (spector@brillig.umd.edu)

omh@brunix (Owen M. Hartnett) (08/29/89)

I have had *two* 80M Apple (Quantum) drives go south - both in IIcx's
bought through Apple Partners program.  I have AppleCare contracts now on
both.  I moderate the Boston Computer Society's MacTechGrp and asked if
anyone else had a similar problem.  There was only *one* other IIcx owner
in the crowd and his was going south, also.

How to know if you're disk is about to go south:

Usually it starts just as a failure to boot.  Ultimately, it degrades such
that the drive goes south during operation, occasionally causing a bad
write, or at least an error correctable via Disk First Aid.

To my rather untrained ear, it doesn't appear to me that the drive stops
spinning; its more like the head doesn't search properly.  Upon failure
during use, the drive makes a scratching noise similar to it's usual
head seek noise, only louder and more dramatic.

The drive will then fail to boot up for awhile.  random resets using the
programmer's switch will invariably bring it back, although I have retried
for about 45 minutes continuously at a stretch.

Random voodoo you can try:  Opening your mac, removing the drive, swinging
it, replacing the drive.  This works quite often, usually the swing need be
no more than a movement of the drive through about 135 degrees.  Violent
force is usually no more effective then gentle movement and is not recommended.

Needless to say, at the first sign, get the backup disks ready, because
it's going to be a rough night.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET

danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) (08/29/89)

In article <13768@brunix.UUCP> omh@zaphod.UUCP (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
>I have had *two* 80M Apple (Quantum) drives go south - both in IIcx's
>bought through Apple Partners program.  I have AppleCare contracts now on
>both.  I moderate the Boston Computer Society's MacTechGrp and asked if
>anyone else had a similar problem.  There was only *one* other IIcx owner
>in the crowd and his was going south, also.

(description of symptoms deleted)

>Owen Hartnett

The Quantum 80 in my SE 30 recently died 12 days out of warranty.
Does Apple have any plans for replacing these drives?  If they don't,
does Quantum have any warranty of their own that is, perhaps, a bit
longer than 90 days?

Does anyone know anything that can be done with a dead drive?

Dan King

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/29/89)

> The Quantum 80 in my SE 30 recently died 12 days out of warranty.
Does Apple have any plans for replacing these drives?  If they don't,
does Quantum have any warranty of their own that is, perhaps, a bit
longer than 90 days?

	I have not heard that Apple has decided to take any action,
	but when I bought a Quantum-80 recently, it came with a
	2-year warranty.  However, I doubt that this will help you
	any as you have to deal with Apple and unless they decide
	to extend the coverage on the drives, you/we are out of luck ......

--

bremer@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Ron Bremer) (08/29/89)

In article <4882@merlin.usc.edu> danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:

>The Quantum 80 in my SE 30 recently died 12 days out of warranty.
>Does Apple have any plans for replacing these drives?  If they don't,
>does Quantum have any warranty of their own that is, perhaps, a bit
>longer than 90 days?

I recently purchased a La Cie Cirrus 42 drive which uses a Quantum P40S drive.
La Cie said that Quantum just raised their warranty to them to five years and
they are passing the warranty on to their customers.  Their previous warranty
was two years.  I do not know if the warranty applies to Quantum's 80 meg drives
but I would be surprised if it didn't.

Apple has an atrocious warranty on their drives compared to the rest of the
industry.  Maybe if enough of their customers complain they will change.  Apple
used to listen to their customers, didn't they?  Or is that just folk lore?

*These facts are only my opinions.

--
      Ron Bremer   bremer@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM
      (206) 253-6052

mikey@decwrl.dec.com (Mike Yang) (08/29/89)

In article <4882@merlin.usc.edu> danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:
>The Quantum 80 in my SE 30 recently died 12 days out of warranty.
>Does Apple have any plans for replacing these drives?  If they don't,
>does Quantum have any warranty of their own that is, perhaps, a bit
>longer than 90 days?

Maybe it's all a ploy by American Express to convince people to use
their AMEX cards to buy Apple computers and double the warranty...

:-)

Mike Yang	  Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
mikey@wsl.dec.com	 decwrl!mikey			(415) 853-6677

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (08/29/89)

I bought a used 5-1/4" Quantum 80Meg drive and experienced similar problems
to the ones being discussed (disk not recognized, etc.). Awful noises from
the drive while seeking indicated a problem with the head carriage and I
found that tilting the drive would cure the problem. If I had a warranty,
I'd get it fixed but the drive seems to be OK if operated on its side so
that's how I've been using it for the last 4 months. If you've got a drive
that spins but isn't recognized, it might help to change its orientation.

mike ching

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (08/30/89)

	Sayyy.... If Quanum drives are used in the macs, and the drives
have a 2 (or 5 or whatever) year warranty... Can't Apple then charge and
end user for a repair that is out of the whimpy 90-day Apple warranty, then
turn around and send the drive back to Quantum for free repair?

Just wondering...

James.Osborne@Mac.Dartmouth.edu

dryzek@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter Dryzek) (08/31/89)

In article <15310@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:

>	Sayyy.... If Quanum drives are used in the macs, and the drives
>have a 2 (or 5 or whatever) year warranty... Can't Apple then charge and
>end user for a repair that is out of the whimpy 90-day Apple warranty, then
>turn around and send the drive back to Quantum for free repair?
>

>Just wondering...

He's absolutely right. Up until recently I worked for a major disk drive
manufacturer. Computer manufacturers have been pushing up their warranty
periods from the drive manufacturer for quite some time now. A year is
universal, two years is common and some drive manufacturers are offering up to
five years warranty. I can't think of many computer manufacturers who pass the
benefit on.

Peter Dryzek

paulm@lotus.UUCP (Paul Morganthall) (09/01/89)

My Quantum 80M drive also had troubles starting up about two weeks after
I got it (as part of my Mac IIx/4M/80M).  I kept using it for another month,
and sometimes it would die during a session -- same scratchy seek noises as
others have reported.  I called the dealer (Businessland), and was told that
it is a common problem -- they'd replace the disk.  They did so yesterday,
and things seem ok so far.

Sad.

-- My opinions and Mac are my own. -- paulm@lotus.com -- ...!uunet!lotus!paulm

aj1826@trotter.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) (09/01/89)

In article <13768@brunix.UUCP>, omh@brunix (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
> I have had *two* 80M Apple (Quantum) drives go south - both in IIcx's
> bought through Apple Partners program.  I have AppleCare contracts now on
> both.  I moderate the Boston Computer Society's MacTechGrp and asked if
> anyone else had a similar problem.  There was only *one* other IIcx owner
> in the crowd and his was going south, also.
>

> -Owen
>
> Owen Hartnett
> Brown University Computer Science

Owen,

I posted a message about my IIcx Quantum 80 several weeks ago, which
exhibited the same problems documented (endlessly, now) in other messages.
I also posted the same problem to AppleLink (Developers Talk to Each Other)
and saw about 10 responses from others with the same problems.  Now, if you
think about it, both this net and AppleLink are "fairly restricted" in the
sense that a _lot_ of users don't have access to them.  How many of these
people are experiencing the same problems with their IIcx's and SE/30's, and
we just don't know about them?

It is my opinion that Apple has seen these postings, and is a) researching
the problem and will get back to us later (hopefully), or b) just chosen
to ignore us and hope the problem goes away.  I hope it is a), but I'd like
to hear from them anyway.

I heard a rumor a few days ago that Apple was allowing trade-in of the
Quantum 80's in a similar manner to the recall for 40 meg drives earlier.
However, I have seen no substantiation of that rumor on any of the nets.  I
haven't followed up much, since my problem went away when I decided to leave
my computer on _most_ of the time.  (The problem had first occurred when I
went away for a week and turned it off.)  I'm not satisfied that it won't
happen again, though.

Let's keep up the pressure.  TALK TO US APPLE!!

--Joe

danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) (09/02/89)

In article <1397@trotter.usma.edu> aj1826@trotter.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) writes:
>It is my opinion that Apple has seen these postings, and is a) researching
>the problem and will get back to us later (hopefully), or b) just chosen
>to ignore us and hope the problem goes away.  I hope it is a), but I'd like
>to hear from them anyway.

The Quantum 80 in my SE/30 died twelve days out of warranty.  Let's
hope it's (A)!  The drives are too expensive to replace every four
months.

>I heard a rumor a few days ago that Apple was allowing trade-in of the
>Quantum 80's in a similar manner to the recall for 40 meg drives earlier.
>However, I have seen no substantiation of that rumor on any of the nets.

I called Apple Customer Support to complain yesterday (09-01-89) and
(at that time), they were not replacing the drives, they were not
granting warranty extensions, and they had no plans.  The
representative took my name phone number, but couldn't promise
anything.  I then asked him if Apple would reimburse me if I fixed my
own drive and they later offered a replacement.  He wouldn't say
anything about that other than that Apple has done that with some of
the 40 meg versions.

>Let's keep up the pressure.  TALK TO US APPLE!!

Come one, Apple!  I keep hearing that Apple has higher prices than the
competition (ahem) because they fund more R&D as well as better
CUSTOMER SUPPORT.  Customer support doesn't mean shipping a product
that is going to die just after the warranty expires.

I'm still paying off the damn computer, I don't need to add the burden
of a new 80 meg HD to it.  I also can't wait while some committee
makes up its mind: my semester is starting and I need my system.

TALK TO US APPLE!!

dank

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (09/02/89)

In article <19291@mimsy.UUCP> spector@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Lee Spector) writes:
>General Description of Problem: Failure to recognize disk at startup - just
>                   got flashing "?" icon.  Booting from floppy showed no
>                   hard-disk icon on desktop. After several power-down /
>                   power-up cycles (disconnecting power cord in between)
>                   functionality returned.  Sometimes this took > 10 cycles
>                   and over night.  During failure the hard disk's light would
>                   flash periodically.  After functionality had returned
>                   the "Apple HD SC Setup" program's "test" function showed
>                   no problems with the hard disk.

This sounds exactly like the problem I used to have with my Rodime 140+
external HD, though the causes and the solutions may not be the same.
Half of my problems had to do with Mac Plus 128K ROMs that would not talk
to SCSI devices correctly at boot-time. The other half is due to the HD
itself. The following description assumes that your SCSI hardware is
functioning properly.

When I turn on my HD 'cold', it will very often not spin the platters up to
speed, leaving the heads unlocked (as should be the case). I then have to
turn the drive off, let the platters come to a halt, and then power-up
again. It usually takes quite a few of these cycles to finally get the drive
going. The number of attempts (for me) varies between 1 and 15!!

However, once the drive is nice and warm, I can turn it off, pack it away
and take it home, and then have it power-up with no difficulty at all. Time
after time. Note that the operative word is 'warm'. Hence, I never turn the
drive off overnight unecessarily. That awful word 'stiction' comes to mind.
This _may_ be a normal condition with HDs, because it appears to happen with
most any make of HD assembly.

-- bl