[comp.sys.mac] Zterm

pbk@mtgzz.att.com (p.b.kidd) (02/09/89)

	The program Zterm recently posted to comp.binaries.mac sounds
interesting, but our site seems to have not gotten part 2 of 5. Could someone
pls repost this.
		pbk

sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu (02/09/89)

interesting, but where can I get a ZMODEM for VAX/VMS?
 -- ks

mdb@laidbak.UUCP (Mark Brukhartz) (07/04/89)

In article <14171@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
> ............, ZTerm 0.8 added features so that it'd transfer
> better with Red Ryder hosts/Red Ryder.  ....................

I've just tried Zterm 0.75; it's great stuff. Zterm does near line speed
transfers of binary files at 2400 bps. Files to be sent may be specified
all at once, then transferred without further intervention.

On the down side, Zterm 0.75 often hangs after an aborted transfer. The
various purge and reset functions do not clear it up. All is well after
quitting and relaunching the application.

Could someone please post Zterm 0.8 to comp.binaries.mac? We poor souls
lacking Internet access for ftp will be thankful.

		Mark Brukhartz
		INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation
		formerly Lachman Associates, Inc.
		..!{amdahl, ico, ism780c, masscomp, nucsrl, sun}!laidbak!mdb

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (07/05/89)

In article <2472@laigoon.laidbak.UUCP> Mark Brukhartz writes:
>Could someone please post Zterm 0.8 to comp.binaries.mac? We poor souls
>lacking Internet access for ftp will be thankful.

Zterm 0.8 is currently in the queue - expect it to show up soon.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (08/29/89)

I am attempting to use the shareware terminal program Zterm
(v 0.75).  While I have successfully tweaked the abundant options
allowing me to communicate on line consistently, I have not been
so lucky with Zmodem transfers.

I am sending this message via Portal, a public access, Unix based
Usenet gateway.  Portal offers Zmodem file transfers.  However,
this works only part of the time.  (I am using a Mac + with 2.5 Mb
of RAM running System 6.02 with Multifinder active.  I connect
with Portal via PCI/Tymnet.)  Sometimes, when attempting an upload
to Portal the upload aborts with the message 'dte originated' from
Portal.  At other times, the upload seems successful, except that
at its conclusion, the screen clears, the modem 'receive data'
light blinks like crazy and the cursor (I-beam) flashes like
crazy.  The only way out of this (the modem will not respond to
the normal Hayes 'hang up' command) is to 'quit' Zterm and start
it up again.  After the start up, everything is as it should be,
with the first page of the upload on the screen with the normal
Portal prompt.  I can then type in 'ok' and proceed as normal.

Downloads are also erratic.  Sometimes they lock up the machine to
the point where only a cold boot will free up the serial port.

Is anyone else out there using ZTerm?  with packet switching?  Any
clues as to what I am doing wrong?  How should I have 'flow
control' and the 'Zterm parms' set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the throughput of a
Zmodem transfer is about three times as great as that of Xmodem.

Thanks.

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|   Mike G Newman               |  mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com  |
|   BX 1510                     |  MCI:   mnewman (333-1196)     |
|   Saipan MP 96950             |  Phone: 670-234-7726           |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+

PS To Portal users:  I attempted to simply upload this article
to the 'Phoenix' Mac sig, but kept getting messages that adding
an article or collection was 'not allowed'.  Wonder why...?
mgn

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (08/29/89)

Try using version 0.8; it improved the ZMODEM transfers quite a bit.
I downloaded a 200K file yesterday using it. Haven't tried uploading,
but I've always had trouble uploading to UNIX sites and I doubt if
ZMODEM will help any.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (09/02/89)

[article about problems with ZTerm]

Yeah, transfer problems are common with ZTerm. One is that some BBS software
won't work right with it. What happens is: user A uploads a file to the
BBS with ZTerm after compressing it with StuffIt. User B downloads the file,
and when he attempts to unstuff it, he gets a spectacular crash, complete
with twitching indian blankets. As a result, many BBS's will not allow
Zterm uploads.

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu