[comp.sys.mac] HELP: SAD MAC ERROR

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C O'Connor III, 2841) (09/03/89)

I'm getting Sad Mac Error 036000 on my Dad's pseudo-512ke.  Any ideas?  I am
about to order him a new logic board.  Please let me know if this is a good
idea.
Thanks,
Jim

sleezy@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (09/03/89)

In article <6377@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>I'm getting Sad Mac Error 036000 on my Dad's pseudo-512ke.  Any ideas?  I am
>about to order him a new logic board.  Please let me know if this is a good
>idea.

Quoting from the copy of _Hard Disk Encyclopedia_ i got from Jasmine with my
DD45 (old style, the one that doesn't crash after a week!):

"The characters below the unhappy Mac tells you what code has gone wrong.
 The first two indicates (sic) whether it is a software or hardware failure.
 0F means some kind of software error and any other two characters means
 a hardware failure.  01 is a ROM failure while 02 to 05 are RAM errors.
 The last four digits show you which RAM chip is bad."

unfortunately, the book does not have a diagram telling where chip 6000 is,
but you need to get replacement RAM chip, not a whole new motherboard.

I would just blow off getting a new board, and have a repair place test the
RAM chips and put in a new one.

>Thanks,
>Jim

You're welcome.