[comp.sys.mac] How can I network our Imagewriter 2?

elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Elliott) (09/04/89)

I just moved into an apartment with a friend who has an SE and an
Imagewriter 2 printer. I have an SE myself, and no printer. We'd like
to share the printer, and for maximum convenience, to do so by making
a small localtalk network consisting of just our two macs and the
printer.

I have several questions about how to do this. First, what needs to be
done to tell the Imagewriter 2 to use Appletalk? She no longer has any
documentation that came with the printer. Is there something we have
to do with the DIP switches?

Secondly, apart from shelling out $100 or so to get PhoneNet cabling
from Farallon (which is certainly a wonderful product, but seems to me
like overkill for our simple needs and small budgets), how can I wire
up the network? Does anyone have documentation on the pinouts and
where I need to put termination resistors, and their values? For the
very short distances involved, twisted pair ought to be fine, if I
just knew what to connect to what!

Thanks in advance for any help!
-----
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@netserv2.its.rpi.edu

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (09/04/89)

In article <7049@rpi.edu> elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Elliott) writes:

>I just moved into an apartment with a friend who has an SE and an
>Imagewriter 2 printer. I have an SE myself, and no printer. We'd like
>to share the printer, and for maximum convenience, to do so by making
>a small localtalk network consisting of just our two macs and the
>printer.

Well, to hook up an ImageWriter, you'll need the ImageWriter AppleTalk
card from Apple (don;t know of any 3rd party alternatives.)  That's
about $100 bucks right there.  As for the cabling, just connect the 3
devices with 3 PhoneNet connectors and two phone wires between them.
Put 50ohm terminating resistors in the open RJ11 jacks on the 2 outside
connectors.

We have set up several of these, and they seem to work well.  Do be
aware that vibrations can cause the cards to work loose, so reseating
the circuit board may be necessary.

--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (09/05/89)

In article <7049@rpi.edu>, elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Elliott) writes:
>I just moved into an apartment with a friend who has an SE and an
>Imagewriter 2 printer. I have an SE myself, and no printer. We'd like
>to share the printer, and for maximum convenience, to do so by making
>a small localtalk network consisting of just our two macs and the
>printer.

What the IW2 will need will be a LocalTalk board installed into
itself.  It's not a simple matter of changing a few switches.  The
boards run something along the lines of $100 US (I'm likely a long
way off on that one - check with an Apple dealer).  As for any of
the questions you have regarding PhoneNet, Faralon includes a very
comprehensive manual when you get your boxes; it answers all your
other questions.

I, on the otherhand, am trying a different approach to using the
IW2 I have upstairs.  I'm trying to write/get-ahold-of a utility
that works as a spooler.  I can't afford the LocalTalk board and
another PhoneNet box for the printer, so I was trying to cheat a
bit and just route things through the upstairs SE's modem port...
-------
Dan Berry -- U.of Alberta. Computing Systems (Network & DataComm.)
* Correspondence: userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET
* File Transfers: ..!ubc-cs!ALBERTA!ualtasun!dan@uunet.uu.net
-------