[comp.sys.mac] Suggestions for Large Monochrome Monitor

jvb@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jack V. Briner, Jr.) (09/05/89)

I am trying to decide on a large monochrome monitor.  I would like a two
page display that is easy on the eyes and preferably 72 pixels per inch.
I like the Apple Monitor but it is more expensive than some of the other
vendors and has the useless 90 day warranty.

What comments do you have about the

    Apple Two-Page Monochrome
    Radius 19"
    Monoterm Viking 1 or L2400
    E-machines
    Raster Ops
    Texan    Crystal View II
    others

I will summerize the comments and post the results.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/05/89)

In <15470@duke.cs.duke.edu> jvb@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jack V. Briner, Jr.) writes:
> I am trying to decide on a large monochrome monitor.

	I havn't used any of the others, but have used the Moniterm Viking.
A colleague had 2 Vikings (on two different II's that he bought).  I like
it a lot.  So much so that I have one on order right now for my own CX
(also on order).  All three monitors in question are the 19" 72 dpi model.

	I don't know how closely related the Viking is to the monitors
Moniterm used to sell to Sun for use on their 3/50s, so I don't know if
this anecdote is really apropos.  We had the high-voltage supply die on our
Moniterm-equipped 3/50 (all our other 3/50's, bought at the same time, came
with Phillips monitors).  It was fairly easy to diagnose (look for the
board with the burn marks on it) and Moniterm didn't have any qualms about
selling us a replacement board for a reasonable price.  So what does that
say?  Either that Moniterms break a lot (bad) or that when they do, you can
expect to deal with a reasonable service organization (good).  However, one
data point isn't sufficient to draw any rational conslusions from.

	One other thing Moniterm has going for it; the best corporate
address I've ever heard of -- Moniterm, Minitonka, Minnesota.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

consp22@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Mac Hack) (09/05/89)

In article <15470@duke.cs.duke.edu> jvb@duke.cs.duke.edu (Jack V. Briner, Jr.) writes:
>I am trying to decide on a large monochrome monitor.  I would like a two
>page display that is easy on the eyes and preferably 72 pixels per inch.
>I like the Apple Monitor but it is more expensive than some of the other
>vendors and has the useless 90 day warranty.
>
>What comments do you have about the
>
>    Apple Two-Page Monochrome

I work for a retail firm and have used almost all of them and have found that
the Apple is the nicest.  It doesn't have the Radius bowing and is crystal
clear! It will also do four shades of grey.

|  Consp22@Bingvaxa.cc.binghamton.edu   |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants        |
|                                       |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|  Still Looking For A Neat Quote To    |-------------------------------------|
|  Put Here.                            |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |