[comp.sys.mac] Excel: help me extend a selection in a macro?

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (09/01/89)

I'm trying to write a macro in this much-touted macro language.  Most things
are fine, and I can use the recorder for lots of stuff, but I've bumped into
something I can't quite figure out.

I have some data that I want to chart.  Every week I add a new data point.
I have arranged the stuff so that making the chart is easy.  I have a name
for the last point, and I have the macro go there and fool around to create
the new data point using relative motion.  Now I want to create the chart
afresh, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to select the new
larger chart region.
	a) If I record what happens when I select the old chart and type
	   shift-downarrow, I get =select(some absolute stuff), which
	   does me no good.  The form of the absolute stuff depends on
	   whether references are absolute or not, but it's still fixed.
	b) I have not found an acceptable syntax to the select function
	   which mixes the current point and a named point (I could do that)
	   or two named points (I could do that too) though I tried harder
	   on the first.

I know that what I want to do is add a row to the range I had before.  I can
name the range or any of its corners easily enough because it's just two
columns and I have to know the top and bottom anyway.

It seems this should be easy, but it's not.

Help, please, anyone who has hacked the macro language already!!

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil Hoopman) (09/05/89)

In article <951@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>[Description of specific problem deleted]
>I know that what I want to do is add a row to the range I had before.  I can
>name the range or any of its corners easily enough because it's just two
>columns and I have to know the top and bottom anyway.
>
>It seems this should be easy, but it's not.
>
>Help, please, anyone who has hacked the macro language already!!

Some of the other macro pros might be able to do this
more elegantly; playing around with Excel, this is what I came
up with:

=SELECT("rc:r["&ROWS(SELECTION())&"]c["&COLUMNS(SELECTION())-1&"]")

This statement expands the current selection by one row.
It's also an example of how to concatentate in a select statement;
a useful thing to know!

Have fun!

Neil Hoopman - Microsoft Corp.                         uunet!microsoft!neilh
------------------------------                  microsoft!neilh@uunet.UU.NET
"Carpe Diem. Seize the day.         microsoft!neilh@beaver.cs.washington.edu
 Make your lives extraordinary."    ----------------------------------------
 - Dead Poets Society                  Neil?  Neil who?  Posted what?  When?