[comp.sys.mac] For all you frustrated SoundMaster folk...

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/18/89)

Having (at last count) some 140 Megabytes of digitized sound on the Mac,
I've always loved SoundMaster, the cdev that plays sounds at various times
on your Mac; I sent in my shareware fee about 15 minutes after trying it
out.  Unfortunately, Bruce Tomlin seems to have stopped supporting it some
time ago, and it has some bugs under the Mac SEx and MultiFinder.

Good news: according to MacWeek, Preferred Publishers (the people who put
out the *excellent* Vantage DA and (from what I've seen) the impressive
DAtabase) will be releasing a collection of 6 cdevs in October called
Personality.  One of them, Soundz, sounds like it does just what SoundMaster
did, but a) supports all the Macs and b) doesn't cache the entire sound in
memory (though that makes me wonder how fast it can play the sound, if it
reads it from disk every time).  Nice!  They also have some nice display
customization cdevs (Kolors (an update to Kolor), Menuz, Kursor, Windowz,
and Controlz, the latter which makes your Mac interface look a good deal
like the NeXT "textured" interface).  I've been *very* impressed with
Vantage -- you outta see this manual -- and I've got some high hopes for
Personality, too.  Retail $89, which means I can buy it through mail order
for a decent price...

Just digitized BUCKAROO BANZAI last night; my Mac just wouldn't seem the
same without it saying "Laugh-A while you can, Monkey Boy!" when it shuts
down...  (Yah, I'll post that and "No matter where you go... there you
are." to comp.binaries.mac later this week...)

                           "Well, if it wasn't Buckaroo Banzai, I'd say
                            'commit the man.'"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (08/28/89)

What a lot of us would really like is something like SondMaster that selects a
sound from a folder at random on startup for each event; e.g. you would have a
"Startup Sounds" folder, a "Restart Sounds", a "Disk Insert" folder, etc.  The
INIT would choose one at random from each such folder.  It gets a bit tedious
having the same sound each session.

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/31/89)

In article <14372@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>What a lot of us would really like is something like SondMaster that selects a
>sound from a folder at random on startup for each event; e.g. you would have a
>"Startup Sounds" folder, a "Restart Sounds", a "Disk Insert" folder, etc.  The
>INIT would choose one at random from each such folder.  It gets a bit tedious
>having the same sound each session.

Agreed, but the problem I would have is that the size of some sounds I use
for startups and shutdowns would be inappropriate for beeps, keyclicks and
some of the other events.  Some pre-selection ability would be required.

The thought of a beep trying to play the 3 MB Buckaroo Banzai closing
theme... conniption fits!

                        Selections from TOP 10 WAYS DAN RATHER COULD
                        CONCLUDE THE CBS EVENING NEWS:

                            10. Put finger in mouth, make "cork popping"
                                sound.
                             7. Reveal which news story of the evening was
                                the fake one.
                             6. Lick lips and say,"MMM-MMM! Time for pie!"
                             5. Give coded message to L'il Newshounds fan
                                club.
                             2. Light big cigar and say,"Ha Ha! See you
                                tomorrow suckers!"
                                           -- Late Night with David Letterman
---

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (08/31/89)

}
}Agreed, but the problem I would have is that the size of some sounds I use
}for startups and shutdowns would be inappropriate for beeps, keyclicks and
}some of the other events.  Some pre-selection ability would be required.
}
}The thought of a beep trying to play the 3 MB Buckaroo Banzai closing
}theme... conniption fits!

That's why my idea is to have a separate folder for each event; i.e. you would
have a "Beep Sounds" folder.  Presumably you wouldn't put the Buckaroo Banzai
sound in that forlder, but in the "Startup Sounds" folder (perhaps).

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center
Boeing Computer Services     uucp:       uw-beaver!bcsaic!lbaum
(206) 865-3232               internet:   lbaum@atc.boeing.com

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/01/89)

Really, SoundMaster should not play FILES but snd resources using
SndPlay (the easiest thing in the world !) I'm currently writing
an INIT for startup sounds using this (none of the INITs I've come
across works on my SE/30 - this does, but I have problems with
the cdev - no doubt soon solved problems :-) If this INIT/cdev
comes out fine, I just might be going for some trap patching to
have my typing sound like a typewriter, and that'll lead to...

Oh, I'm dreaming again. Aheum. Anyone care to comment on trap
patching and sound handling are welcome (but maybe this should go
to comp.sys.mac.programmer...) Anyway, my original opinion stands:
SoundMaster SHOULD play 'snd ' resources !

--
This is your fortune from h+@nada.kth.se:
Familiarity breeds children.

leipold@eplrx7.UUCP (leipold) (09/02/89)

In article <14494@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>In article <10759@fluke.COM} moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>}In article <14372@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>}The thought of a beep trying to play the 3 MB Buckaroo Banzai closing
>}theme... conniption fits!

Somebody's got a digitized version of the Buckaroo Banzai closing
theme?  Where can I ftp it from?  (Or, from where can I ftp it?)

--
"As long as you've lit one candle,                         Walt Leipold
you're allowed to curse the darkness."       (leipolw%esvax@dupont.com)

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/02/89)

In article <1549@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>Really, SoundMaster should not play FILES but snd resources using
>SndPlay (the easiest thing in the world !) I'm currently writing
>an INIT for startup sounds using this (none of the INITs I've come
>across works on my SE/30 - this does, but I have problems with

I have met some sound incompatibilities.  I don't kow who is at fault,
but maybe you will release your INIT to the public and can avoid some
of them.

I recently started getting into having my Mac make more noise.  I got
a cookoo sound and a newer version of SuperClock.  I thought it would
be great to have it cookoo on the hour.  It crashed, so I told
TimeKeeper to play that sound each hour (I love MultiFinder +
memory!).  Fine--most of the time.  I also have a key click from
SoundMaster and sometimes when I am typing right when the hour strikes
TimeKeeper will cookoo but then freeze.  I assume they are colliding.
Turns out I can recover by blowing away TimeKeeper with an ExitToShell
in Macsbug, but I would like a better solution.  Anyone else see this?

--
Kent Borg				"You know me, bright ideas
kent@lloyd.uucp				just pop into my head!"

MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael Antolovich) (09/03/89)

In article <1549@draken.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>Really, SoundMaster should not play FILES but snd resources using
>SndPlay (the easiest thing in the world !) I'm currently writing
>an INIT for startup sounds using this (none of the INITs I've come
>across works on my SE/30 - this does, but I have problems with
>the cdev - no doubt soon solved problems :-) If this INIT/cdev

    That's funny, I've been using Sound MAster v1.2 on my SE/30 without
much trouble (LOTS of other PD software bit the dust, but sound master
works fine.
                                         Michael

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/04/89)

In article <494@sunfs3.camex.uucp> kent@sunfs3.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>In article <1549@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>>SndPlay (the easiest thing in the world !) I'm currently writing
>>an INIT for startup sounds using this (none of the INITs I've come
>>across works on my SE/30 - this does, but I have problems with

>I have met some sound incompatibilities.  I don't kow who is at fault,
>but maybe you will release your INIT to the public and can avoid some
>of them.

>memory!).  Fine--most of the time.  I also have a key click from
>SoundMaster and sometimes when I am typing right when the hour strikes
>TimeKeeper will cookoo but then freeze.  I assume they are colliding.

Yes. SoundMaster supposedly still uses the FFSynthRec form of sounds,
described in IM-II while SuperClock (and then supposedly TimeKeeper)
use snd resources and SndPlay. If you try to play a snd resource while
the FFSynthRec is playing, you'll be in deep trouble (or the other way
around...)

Someone said this would be sixed in System 7, at least they hinted that
you would be able to have more than one SndChannel at one time. This would
sure make things easy for game writers ! Don't know if it's true, though.

The present problem is that you can't allocate two independent sound channels
at one time, you'll have to mix the sounds together "on the fly" and then
play the resulting sound. Annoying, and not very convenient for real-time
applications.

About my INIT, if anyone wants just the INIT part, feel free to ask me for
it. You'll have to configure it using ResEdit, though, since the cdev
still doesn't work and I haven't the time to fix it right now. I KNOW that
this INIT really plays a startup snd resource even on an SE/30 - and I
think it should work with any Mac running system 4.2 or later (oh, say 6.0
to be on the safe side... :-)

Already in System 4.2 Apple encouraged developers to use the snd resource
format. It's a shame that some programs don't take advantage of this...

--
This is your fortune from h+@nada.kth.se:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after you.

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (09/06/89)

I've had the same problem.  It seems that Soundmaster, which I have a
keystroke sound assigned, and Chime, which chimes the hour, can
stomp on each other while trying the play their respective sounds, and
freeze the machine.  I know of no solution, outside of not using one of these
INITs.  But I have seen the problem.
|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |