[comp.sys.mac] Terminal Emulation

c60b-ea@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Brad Post) (03/15/88)

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a new computer, and I have been wondering
about this question, what type of terminal emulation can you get with a Mac, and
what type of software do you use?  You see, I'm really going to be doing a lot
of logging onto Unix accounts, and I was just wondering if a Mac II+ or SE
was compatiable with the systems I might be using.  I also would like to know if
you have to use any special Termset commands in unix to make the Mac respond
properly?  Thanks a lot, and please mail all responses to the address below.

    __-,                               ___ _________
 __(__)|___                    _______/   |________|          "This is where
`----------|_______________---/       `----_____|___           you are supposed
 (      ___+-----------------<---------_____________-----_  <------ to aim,
  `-----                      `-----------'      |  +---_/      right up there
                                            ____/__/___/_____      shaft!"
 Brad Post: bpost@volet.Berkeley.Edu       |   ======        ||
            ...ucbvax!violet!bpost         |_________________||

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (03/17/88)

In article <1523@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> c60b-ea@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Brad Post) writes:
>Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a new computer, and I have been wondering
>about this question, what type of terminal emulation can you get with a Mac,
>and what type of software do you use?  You see, I'm really going to be doing a
>lot of logging onto Unix accounts, and I was just wondering if a Mac II+ or SE
>was compatiable with the systems I might be using.

I've got a Mac Plus, and have used both MacTerminal and Red Ryder.  For simple
terminal emulation, and Mac file transfer, I prefer MacTerminal's VT100 mode.
It's rock solid and pretty full featured.  Red Ryder has some advantages, such
as a nice macro facility, but I found downloading more painful than with
MacTerminal (which works well with "macput" and "macget" on UNIX), so I don't
use it any more.

Caveat: Neither version is the absolute latest and greatest.  I haven't tried
the new Claris MacTerminal, nor the new (non-shareware) Red Ryder.  Either or
both may have improved significantly.

Some people swear by Versaterm, but I've never tried it.  It might be worth a
look ...

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) (03/20/88)

In article <1181@cpocd2.UUCP> howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:

>Caveat: ... I haven't tried the new Claris MacTerminal, ...

Claris does not have MacTerminal ...

--
------------------------ Byron Han,  Communications Tool ----------------------
     Apple Computer, Inc.  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 27Y  Cupertino, CA 95014

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (09/06/89)

I need a terminal emulation application to work with TSSnet.  I've read
that Mac240, VersaTerm-Pro, Red Ryder, and Microphone will work.  All I
need to do is interact with a VAX running UNIX over an Ethernet network.
What features do I need?  Which ones can I do without?  If you've used
any of these applications, particularly in similar circumstances, please
tell me how well they worked for you and what was a problem.