[comp.sys.mac] corrupted FullWrite file

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (09/05/89)

I have a user with a 600K FullWrite file that FW won't open anymore "FW quit
unexpectedly".  I've had bad luck in the past trying to recover anything from
damaged FW docs; there's just too much garbage in them.  Does anyone have
any techniques for recovering FW docs? (The backup file is also corrupted,
and the last clean backup is several weeks old) :-(

Linda Iroff
Humanities Computing Center
Cornell University
elfj@crnlvax5
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretschneider) (09/06/89)

In comp.sys.mac Linda Iroff writes:

>I have a user with a 600K FullWrite file that FW won't open anymore "FW quit
>unexpectedly".  I've had bad luck in the past trying to recover anything from
>damaged FW docs; there's just too much garbage in them.  Does anyone have
>any techniques for recovering FW docs? (The backup file is also corrupted,
>and the last clean backup is several weeks old) :-(

There's a utility for recovering corrupt FW files that Ashton-Tate has made
available through a number of online services.  It's called FWRecover and its
author is Support Guru Kent Irwin.  I'm sure that if you call Ashton-Tate they
can tell you how to get it.  (It's definitely available on Compuserve, GEnie,
MacNet, and Ashton-Tate's Support Bulletin Board.

Ric                           "They're probably foreigners
Bretschneider                       with ways different from our own."

  These ill considered and poorly constructed ideas are my own,
           and I love every of them one dearly.