[comp.sys.mac] Dead 80meg HDs

danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) (09/06/89)

Has the problem of dead Quantum 80meg HDs in Mac SE/30s and Mac IIcxs
gone away?  For about three weeks people complained daily about
nonfunctional drives.  Now, however, there isn't a peep.  The drive in
my SE/30 is completely gone and it happened just 12 days out of
warranty.

Did the Apple Thought Police silence the complainers?  Did some drives
miraculously start working again?  Or have people just given up?

Dan King
(dank@usc.edu or danking@usc.edu)

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/06/89)

A friend of mine recently talked to an engineer at Quantum, and
from that conversation he figures that there are several thousand
drives out there with potential problems, from Quantum. The problem
has something to do with the head.

Quantum has fixed the problem in their most recent drives, so
don't worry too much. But for those of us who thought Quantum
drives were the neatest thing since sliced bread, we'd better
start buying edible hats.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (09/06/89)

In article <4956@merlin.usc.edu> danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:

>Has the problem of dead Quantum 80meg HDs in Mac SE/30s and Mac IIcxs
>gone away?  For about three weeks people complained daily about
>nonfunctional drives.  Now, however, there isn't a peep.  The drive in
>my SE/30 is completely gone and it happened just 12 days out of
>warranty.
>
>Did the Apple Thought Police silence the complainers?  Did some drives
>miraculously start working again?  Or have people just given up?
>
>Dan King
>(dank@usc.edu or danking@usc.edu)

NO! The problem has certainly not gone away.  I think that many of us,
while waiting for our 2nd, 3rd, or 4th replacement drives, have decided
that we've made enough noise for the time being and that we should wait
for some response from Apple.  IMHO, Apple's silence on this issue has gone
on too long.  I've been posting and reading about this problem for about
a month, both here and on AppleLink through a local BBS.  From the volume of
complaints it is very clear that there is a real, widespread problem.  And
yet there has been NOT ONE WORD from Apple - not even anything like "Don't
worry, we're working on it and we'll fix it when we figure it out."
[If there HAS been any official word would somebody please post it?  I've
seen nothing.]  So although there has been less talk about it lately (though
I obviously can't restrain myself), the problem has NOT gone away...

  -Lee (spector@brillig.umd.edu)

ericf@persoft.UUCP (Eric R. Feigenson) (09/06/89)

I'll add my name to the list of (very annoyed) Mac IIcx owners with a flaky
80Meg drive.  It worked fine for a month, and now it may (or may not) boot, in
the manner that was described in earlier postings.  I haven't brought the
machine in yet (it booted just fine the past couple of days), and when I called
the local computer store they claimed not to have heard of the problem (which
means maybe I should bring it elsewhere).

Ah, well... technology... where will it end?

-EricF
                        -Eric Feigenson
                        Persoft, Inc.
            (Internet)  ericf@Persoft.COM
            (UUCP)      {ihnp4, seismo, uunet, allegra}!uwvax!persoft!ericf

wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A) (09/06/89)

My 80M HD in my Mac IIcx has been on the verge of death for several weeks now.
(I don't dare turn it off :-)

I talked to Ga Tech's local PC repair outfit and they have heard of a number of
problems with the 80M HDs.

The story I was told is that Apple is VERY LENIENT with replacing HDs just out
of warranty. So...will see when I take this creature in.

bill joye
JOYE,WILLIAM A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!wj4
Internet: wj4@prism.gatech.edu
--

garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (09/07/89)

In article <4956@merlin.usc.edu>, danking@castor.usc.edu (Dan King) writes...

>Has the problem of dead Quantum 80meg HDs in Mac SE/30s and Mac IIcxs
>gone away?  For about three weeks people complained daily about
>nonfunctional drives.  Now, however, there isn't a peep.  The drive in
>my SE/30 is completely gone and it happened just 12 days out of
>warranty.

We've just recently had two IIcx's with 80MB internals that have been
acting up.  I didn't realize that other people had been having this
problem.  Luckily we're still under the warranty period (not by much
though) the replacement drive isn't going to have this same problem is it?

One of the drives did the strangest things on monday.  It had been dead for
over a week (I had set up an hd20sc external on the system while we were
waiting for the replacement hd80) and suddenly came back to life!  Needless
to say, we immediately grabbed a backup of the device and reinitialized it
(as if that will do any good in this situation, or does it?)
>Dan King
>(dank@usc.edu or danking@usc.edu)
| Joel J. Garrett, Research Associate |         Phone: (302)-451-2332        |
|   Center for Composite Materials    |   inet:  garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu  |
|       University of Delaware        |                - or -                |
|       Newark, Delaware 19716        |          garrett@udel.edu            |