[comp.sys.mac] Video digitizers for Mac+

bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) (09/05/89)

Can anyone comment on the availability, quality and cost of video digitizers
for the Mac+.  I know that a number of years ago there were a couple of
vendors offering hardware and software to allow sloooow "frame grabbing"
(i.e. the object had to be perfectly still for so many seconds) on a Mac+.
But I don't see these folks advertising anymore.  Is that technology no
longer available for the Plus?  Thanks in advance for any comments or
information on this topic.

--Bill

UUCP: {nbires, noao}!ncar!hao!bill
CSNET: bill@ncar.csnet
ARPA: bill%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
INTERNET: bill@hao.ucar.edu

  "... the Eagle Wing palace of the Queen Chinee'"

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (09/06/89)

I can heartily recommend the MacVision digitizer from Koala.  The MacVision II
software has some nice features, and it saves in PICT, PICT2, EPSF, Paint,...
You can find it advertised in the MacConnection ads in MacWorld (Sept 1989
lists it for $219).  I have been a happy user of MacVision for a year or
two now.  It takes about 20 seconds to grab one 640x480 frame, in glorious
8-bit grayscale.

The other cheap digitizer is Computer Eyes, I think.  In a MacWorld or MacUser
review, MacVision won by a nose.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (09/06/89)

In article <19422@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>lists it for $219).  I have been a happy user of MacVision for a year or
>two now.  It takes about 20 seconds to grab one 640x480 frame, in glorious
>8-bit grayscale.

From what source?  For example, if I am using a videotape, do I get
exactly what I see in pause mode on a video screen, or does it
grab a short sample from a couple of frames and put them together?

I can see how getting the picture from a camera or camcorder video
out would look just fine, but that's not always convenient.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{uunet,boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

"We don't do this because we love you or like you...we don't even know you!"

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (09/07/89)

"
"From what source?  For example, if I am using a videotape, do I get
"exactly what I see in pause mode on a video screen, or does it
"grab a short sample from a couple of frames and put them together?
"

It literally takes 20 seconds to grab its image, so I assume that it
is grabbing a scan line each frame.  If the image changes from frame
to frame (you don't put your VCR on pause, or your pause is not steady),
you get screwed up images.  It DOES NOT grab one 640x480 frame and just
take 20 seconds to process it, it takes 20 seconds to grab it... As far
as I can tell.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)