[comp.sys.mac] HP Deskwriter and System 7 incompatablities?

horan@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Frederick Horan) (09/04/89)

Several people in the department I work for are interested in the HP Deskwriter
(also the GCC Personal Laser Printer).  The printer produces great text and
graphics at slow but acceptable speeds.  Also, the printer is cheap ($730 with
discount) and the operating cost is roughly equivalent to that of a
laserprinter (less then a $.05/page).

I am concerned that this and other Quickdraw based printers may be (at least
initially) incompatable with the Outline fonts used with System-7.

The HP Deskwriter comes with screen and printer (AGFA Compugraphic) fonts.
These screen and printer fonts are similar to each other (WYSI almost WYG).
What happens when the underlying software used to produced the screen fonts is
changed to support outline fonts instead?  Will the old (bitmapped) screen
fonts continue to be supported?  Will we require drivers for bitmapped printers
that are different from what we now get from HP (or GCC or other companies)?

I may be worrying needlessly but I do not want to throw thousands of dollars
away on 'good' printers only to be stuck in the ugly amorphous muck of
incompatablity down the road.  WSYI Fuzzy.

	Thanks in advance
	Fred (horan@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu)

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (09/05/89)

Fred writes:

>I am concerned that this and other Quickdraw based printers may be (at least
>initially) incompatable with the Outline fonts used with System-7.

How DeskWriter will operate with Apple's outline fonts will be similar to how it
works with Adobe's outline fonts.  A DeskWriter user already has the option
of turning off the CompuGraphic outline fonts and using whatever Apple's
Font Manager gives it.  In Adobe's case (and I assume Apple will have a
similar implementation) the Font Manager is modified to handle the outline
fonts, so using whatever the Font Manager gives it will result in high quality
output.

In creating System 7.0, if Apple decides to change the printing architecture
like they promised, it is possible that all printers will have to have their
drivers updated regardless of Apple's outline fonts and
regardless of whether the printer is a QuickDraw or a PostScript printer.

HP is already promising to support System 7.0 in any case.

My opinions are biased since I worked on the DeskWriter printer driver and
printer firmware.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

neg@NRC.COM (Neal Goldsmith) (09/07/89)

In article <8768@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> horan@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Frederick Horan) writes:

>I am concerned that this and other Quickdraw based printers may be (at least
>initially) incompatable with the Outline fonts used with System-7.
>The HP Deskwriter comes with screen and printer (AGFA Compugraphic) fonts.
>These screen and printer fonts are similar to each other (WYSI almost WYG).
>What happens when the underlying software used to produced the screen fonts is
>changed to support outline fonts instead?  Will the old (bitmapped) screen
>fonts continue to be supported?  Will we require drivers for bitmapped printers
>that are different from what we now get from HP (or GCC or other companies)?

I took delivery of my Deskwriter today and enclosed with the manual was a
thick paper card from which you could remove a 3.5" floppy sized corner.

The corner said "Store with System Software" and went on the explain the
when upgrading your system software you should contact your dealer to determine
if a new version of the HP software is required. If so, then you are supposed
to take the original disk to you dealer to copy the new version onto it (sound
familiar?).

I can only assume that HP is very committed to supporting the printer into
the future.

You do bring up an interesting question about font support. It appears that
the fonts are stored on the Macintosh, and not in a cartridge on the Deskwriter
as with the Deskjet. HP is actually asking $398 for the extra font library.
Based on current font library prices from third partys for postscript printers
this seems pretty out of line. I have called a couple of font makers and they
are still trying to determine if it will be worth it to produce Deskwriter
fonts. One suggested buying their oversized bitmap fonts. (the Deskwriter does
4x reduction in the same way the LQ does 2x) providing reasonable but not
great quality.

I would think that it will be in HPs best interest to support system 7 outline
fonts, however it does not say anywhere in the documentation that they
will and I imagine they will lose money on font sales. If indeed they are
actually selling many at that price.

							--- Neal