[comp.sys.mac] Rumors about the Macintosh IIci

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/01/89)

All right, I just heard an interesting tidbit of news through the grapevine,
so let me have my moment in the limelight as the person who started the
Rampant Rumors about a Terrific New Computer That Doesn't Even Exist Yet.

My boss told me (so it's gotta be true!) that the Macintosh IIci is due to
be unveiled this Fall.  It is cosmetically identical to a IIcx, but chugs
along at 25 megaHertz.  It was unveiled at a computer exposition (what better
place to expose a computer?) recently.

Let me attach this with another rumor and suggest that this might be Apple's
first machine with multiprocessing capability.  Not multi*tasking*, mind you:
multiprocessing means really physically running two programs at once, like the
Commodore Amiga has been doing for years.

The Macintosh IIci supposedly doesn't need a video card, as the screen memory
will exist entirely in the machine's RAM.

Comments, criticisms, or other assorted rumors, people?  Anyone?  Anyone?

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

kempf@tci.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (09/02/89)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

>My boss told me (so it's gotta be true!) that the Macintosh IIci is due to
>be unveiled this Fall.  It is cosmetically identical to a IIcx, but chugs
>along at 25 megaHertz.  It was unveiled at a computer exposition (what better
>place to expose a computer?) recently.

I have heard a substantually similar rumour... I hadn't heard that apple had
officially announced the product, let alone was willing to show it
off though.

In brief: 25Mhz version of IIcx, 1 bit video card on motherboard
(using the main CPU).  If you don't want to waste your CPU on video,
you could always buy a video card.  Roumer had it that it would be
announced at Macworld Boston, but *I* didn't see one there.

>The Macintosh IIci supposedly doesn't need a video card, as the screen memory
>will exist entirely in the machine's RAM.

see above.

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (09/02/89)

I was just reading Info World and it claims that the IIci will be
announced Sept. 20, when the laptop is.  The Info World rumor column
claims that it will be priced 15% over the IIcx.

My question would be: if it is announced Sept. 20, when might I expect to
be able to buy it at my school's computer store?

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/03/89)

In <10213@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):
> Let me attach this with another rumor and suggest that this might be
> Apple's first machine with multiprocessing capability.  Not multi*tasking*,
> mind you:  multiprocessing means really physically running two programs at
> once, like the Commodore Amiga has been doing for years.

	I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  If I am to take what you
said literally, i.e. "physically running two programs at once", then you are
talking about a MIMD multiprocessor, like a Sequent or Alliant.  Is that what
you meant, or (more likely, I think) that it will be a uniprocessor capable
of timesharing by having task switches controlled by an internal clock (as in
your typical Unix or VMS system) rather than by mouse clicks (as in
multifinder)?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (09/03/89)

gentlepeople;

MacWeek previewed the IIci; the box supposedly will have *8-bit*, not 1-bit,
video built in.  Also faster memory and SCSI.  The built-in video slows it
down a bit, but it still clips along at 50-60% faster than a vanilla Mac II.

-mike

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (09/06/89)

In article <10213@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

   My boss told me (so it's gotta be true!) that the Macintosh IIci is due to
   be unveiled this Fall.  It is cosmetically identical to a IIcx, but chugs
   along at 25 megaHertz.  It was unveiled at a computer exposition (what better
   place to expose a computer?) recently.

I don't think it's a rumor.  I thought Apple officially announced that
it would present this along with the laptop on September 20 (21?) at
Universal Studios.  Sounds wild, maybe I did make it up :)

   Let me attach this with another rumor and suggest that this might be Apple's
   first machine with multiprocessing capability.  Not multi*tasking*, mind you:
   multiprocessing means really physically running two programs at once, like the
   Commodore Amiga has been doing for years.

I think there are rumors that it will have a graphics co-processor to
free the cpu.  Is this what you mean by multi-processing?

-Fred

| Fred Hollander                 |                                           |
| Computer Science Center        |     "Ha ha ha ha ha ha, Ah what a day!"   |
| Texas Instruments, Inc.        |             -- Joker                      |
| Internet:    hollander@ti.com  |                                           |
| Telnet:      214/995-0696      |  The above statements are my own and not  |
| AppleLink:   D1392             |  representative of Texas Instruments.     |

markham@tsc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Markham) (09/07/89)

In article <HOLLAND.89Sep5134111@m2.csc.ti.com>, holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
> In article <10213@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>>My boss told me (so it's gotta be true!) that the Macintosh IIci is due to
>>be unveiled this Fall.  It is cosmetically identical to a IIcx, but chugs
>>along at 25 megaHertz.
>
> I don't think it's a rumor.  I thought Apple officially announced that
> it would present this along with the laptop on September 20 (21?) at
> Universal Studios.  Sounds wild, maybe I did make it up :)

According to the local Apple Rep (Raleigh, NC) the IIci and laptop will be
introduced on September 20.  The laptop will be a 68000 machine, but he said
that they are planning a whole family of laptops (i.e. 68020, 68030, 680?0).
The IIci will be running at 25 MHz and he said that it really screams.  He
had a lot to say about the laptop!

>>Let me attach this with another rumor and suggest that this might be Apple's
>>first machine with multiprocessing capability.  Not multi*tasking*, mind you:
>>multiprocessing means really physically running two programs at once, like
>>the Commodore Amiga has been doing for years.
>
> I think there are rumors that it will have a graphics co-processor to
> free the cpu.  Is this what you mean by multi-processing?
>
> -Fred

As far as I got from him, there will be no difference between the multi-tasking
abilities of this machine with regards to the IIcx.  I don't even think that
there is a graphics co-processor.  He said that there will be 8-bit video
built in, but recommends a video card for anyone doing anything with intense
graphics (that is, anything besides spreadsheets, word processors and the
like).  He said that the main advantage of the built in video is so that
secretaries won't need a video card to do their normal chores.  Save a couple
of bucks.  Any high-intensity graphics and he says that it slows down the
68030 too much.

At only ~$1000 more than the IIcx, the IIci should become the main machine
for Apple. (shoot, a 25MHz accel. costs about $1000).  I gotta get some cash
soon!!!!

Andrew W. Markham 			<markham@sunmail.cs.unc.edu>
Computer Science Department			UNC-CH
"Nobody in the world can cover my main man Michael Jordan. No, No, Nooobody."
					-Mars Blackmon

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (09/07/89)

Most probably, it will be announced on September 20th, along with the
laptop. One of my yacht-mates saw one in an Apple suite at MacWorld.
He was impressed in that the machine felt substantially faster then
standard Mac II(whatevers) accellerated to 33MHz. Presumably this is
due to the entire machine's archtecture being optimized for this speed.

I'll post here the evening of the unveiling, after I get back down
from Universal Studios, stuft with sushi, fajittas tacos, and wine.

I know several folks here at U.C.I. who have their P.O.s poised and
ready to order.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

apippin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Pinhead@Spikes.slo.ca.EDU) (09/07/89)

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
~He was impressed in that the machine felt substantially faster then
~standard Mac II(whatevers) accellerated to 33MHz. Presumably this is
~due to the entire machine's archtecture being optimized for this speed.

	Isn't it just (?!) 25 MHz?  At least that's what I heard...
	Daystar has the 033 accel board...

    abp.
--
Andy Pippin    (apippin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU)     The gas war is over... gas won.

paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scott Paisley) (09/07/89)

Does anyone know if the NuBus slot are still at 10Mhz?  It would seem
to me that faster slots would be a great selling point.  Especially if
apple is planning on make the IIci there mainstream machine.

--
"If a tree falls in the forest, will another one grow in its place?"

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nbs.gov        ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley