[comp.sys.mac] Help with Jasmine drive password...

bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (09/07/89)

I have a Jasmine 100 hard drive, and I am using the Jasmine DriveWare
package.  The problem is that I have forgotten my master password.
Does anyone know how to reset the password without knowledge of the
present one, or, is there any way that I can find out the present
password?  The manual that I have shows nothing about this.

Thanks for your help.
--
** Brian Klaas, Design Engineer     ***  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions           **
** Intel Corporation                ***     stated here are strictly my own. **

straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) (09/07/89)

In article <181@cmdfs2.intel.com| bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.COM (Brian Klaas~) writes:
|I have a Jasmine 100 hard drive, and I am using the Jasmine DriveWare
|package.  The problem is that I have forgotten my master password.
|Does anyone know how to reset the password without knowledge of the
|present one, or, is there any way that I can find out the present
|password?  The manual that I have shows nothing about this.

I don't think this hint is TOO security breaching! :-)

As I recall, if you press command-option-shift at boot, the Jasmine security
routines on the drive will be overlooked.

Now, as to changing the password, ... ... (good luck!)
--
Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane syntax of UNIX(R), but without the power.

heilpern@ibd.BRL.MIL (Mark A. Heilpern ) (09/08/89)

In article <2994@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka,ih,) writes:

>I don't think this hint is TOO security breaching! :-)

>As I recall, if you press command-option-shift at boot, the Jasmine security
>routines on the drive will be overlooked.

>Now, as to changing the password, ... ... (good luck!)

>Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

Now, forgive me, a mere mortal at security, for asking... but inquiring
minds want to know, I get your sarcasm, Rich, but exactly why would anyone
want a drive security program that had a planned back door? (Or, is this
previously unpublished information your giving us?)

	--M.
	(I'm just sittin' here watchin' the disks go round and round)

bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (09/08/89)

In article <278@ibd.BRL.MIL> heilpern@brl.arpa (Mark A. Heilpern (IBD) <heilpern>) writes:
>In article <2994@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka,ih,) writes:
>Now, forgive me, a mere mortal at security, for asking... but inquiring
>minds want to know, I get your sarcasm, Rich, but exactly why would anyone
>want a drive security program that had a planned back door? (Or, is this
>previously unpublished information your giving us?)

I posted the origional question.  I know it shouldn't have any back
doors, but if any did exist, it would save me reinitializing my hard
drive from my backups.  70+ Megs from floppy to hard drive is no fun
task.  I guess right now, I would be willing to overlook a possible
security problem :( to be able to fix my hard drive :) without having
reinitialize it :( .

I guess this is proving that the Jasmine partitions are more secure
then I origionally thought.