[comp.sys.mac] Selecting LaserWriter without choos

hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (08/28/89)

If you mean is there a way from the Mac OS, I don't think so.  You might
be able to do some fancy programming that Apple says you shouldn't do
with the Print Manager.

Steve
	|    Steve M. Hoffman    |    email: hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu     |
	| University of Illinois | internet: hoffman%ux1@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu |
	|    Champaign/Urbana    |     uucp: uunet!uiucuxc!ux1!hoffman    |
	|________________________|   usmail: 515 Bach Ct. #24             |
	| I haven't a clue what  |           Champaign, IL 61820          |
	|     I'm doing here     |           (217)/359-7448               |
        |________________________|________________________________________|

herbw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (09/07/89)

MPW provides a tool to select LaserWriters without using the Chooser.
But then again, I guess Apple feels that they are allowed to break
the rules.  If you don't have MPW, you're probably out of luck.

mclow@telesoft.telesoft.com (Marshall Clow @telesoft) (09/08/89)

In article <4906@midas.STS.TEK.COM>, herbw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) writes:

> MPW provides a tool to select LaserWriters without using the Chooser.
> But then again, I guess Apple feels that they are allowed to break
> the rules.  If you don't have MPW, you're probably out of luck.

	However, the choose tool has some serious problems. The most
	important is that it will _NOT_ work unless you have
	AppleShare installed. The other annoying feature is that it
	only lets you select network devices ( Network printers,
	AppleShare Servers ). I don't know about the rest of the
	world, but since I use 3 different network printers and 4
	non-networked printers every week, and I live in MPW, I sure
	wish it worked better!

	BTW, I work for Palomar Software, and we develop printer
	drivers. That's why I am surrounded by printers.

	Marshall Clow ( mclow@telesoft.com )

jb@aries5.uucp (Jim Bruyn) (09/08/89)

In article <480@telesoft.telesoft.com> mclow@telesoft.telesoft.com (Marshall Clow @telesoft) writes:

>> MPW provides a tool to select LaserWriters without using the Chooser.
>> But then again, I guess Apple feels that they are allowed to break
>> the rules.  If you don't have MPW, you're probably out of luck.

I think what you want to do can be done by writing a very simple program.

All you have to do is change 'STR ' resource #-8192 in the System File
to the name of the printer driver you wish to use.  i.e. 'LaserWriter',
'AppleTalk ImageWriter', etc.  Then in the LaserWriter/AppleTalk ImageWriter
file change 'PAPA' resource #-8192.  The format of this resource is:
       Printer Name, Printer Type, Printer Zone, Printer Address.
I believe that knowing the printer address is not neccessary as the
printer drivers do a LookupName anyways for the printer.  You can use
ResEdit to look at these fields.

Good Luck
Jim Bruyn