[comp.sys.mac] Kennect drives

deh7g@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (David E. Husk) (08/27/89)

	This is a repost. Does anyone have the phone # for kennect tech?

	Or any info. on their new 800, 1440, 2400 KB floppy drive.

	P.S. One kind soul did reply before, however my return mail

	to him keeps bounceing.

	Finally does anyone have know of a 'good' fortran for the mac?

						Husk@virginia.edu
						804 924 6799

henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) (08/30/89)

I've been using the Rapport and the 2.4 Drive for 6 weeks.  It been all
it has advertised.  I use it to convert MS-DUNG files for use of the Mac
I perfer the Mac for large and complex projects.  I've encountered no
problems with WP4.2 files to WP Mac, Dbase III+ to FoxBase Mac (this did
require the data be transferred in ASCII instead of .DBF).  WP4.2 to
WORD 4.0 conversion is not what I would like.  I suspect it may be the
method(s) I've been using.  The ability of the 2.4 Drive to format HD
disks to 2.4 M was a factor in my selection.  It was my intention to use
this a backup of my hard disk.  Diskfit HD Backup won't recognize the
increased capacity.  I believe FastBack II may be the solution, but I
have been able to try it yet.  I have tried to use the 2.4 as the
destination when downloading using Zterm.  It seems to reduce the
efficency of the download.  I haven't experimented enough to determine
if it is particular to the 2.4 or common to any floppy drive.   The
biggest complaint it that this equipment makes it so easy to take work
home I'm take more of it to be done there.  I'll post the address later
after I check the documentation.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) (09/01/89)

The address for Kennect Technology: A-120 Albright Way, Los Gatos,
Calif., 95030 ph:1-800-552-1232 or 408-370-2866.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (09/07/89)

In article <89083106495810@masnet.uucp> henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) writes:
>I've been using the Rapport and the 2.4 Drive for 6 weeks.  It been all
>it has advertised.

Tell me more.  I'm drooling at the thought.

My 'local' Apple dealer (55 miles away from home) gave me the following
quotes:

	FDHD Drive          - $499
	Logic Board Upgrade - $799
	--------------------------
	Total               -$1298

What a deal!  I can spend $1300 to upgrade to the FDHD!!  And, of
course, I assume this comes with Apple's generous 90 day warranty.

So what's the price of Rapport?  If they beat Apple's price
significantly, I might help the world beat a path to their door.  What
about their warranty?

I think I overheard the dealer telling someone else that he knew of a
$200 device which would convert your internal drive to read and write
MS-DOS disks.  Is this Rapport?

If anyone from Kennect is out there, please tell us what you've got!!

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
{uunet,bigtex}!pmafire!geoff <or> ucdavis!egg-id!pmafire!geoff

henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) (09/08/89)

You should get the rapport and drive for alot less than is required for
the apple FDHD.  I bought mine from Macwarehouse and cost me approx $750
(Canadian).  The other device on the market I've seen ads from is the
Turbo Floppy 1.4 from PLI.  I was unable to get a firm delivery date
from any of the retailer or from PLI, so I gave my business to Kennect.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.01R