[comp.sys.mac] MW 4.0 quandry

chupa@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Michael A Chupa) (09/07/89)

     Users of MW 4.0 at my site are having great problems with
the formatting of documents opened on one Mac that were created on
another.  The problem seems to have something to do with the differ-
ent ruler widths that Word 4 displays on compact Mac screens.  The
screen either gives 6" of text per line, or slightly more than 6.5"
per line, which is wreaking havoc on both the screen view and printed
output.

     Has anyone encountered this before, or know of a fix?  I have
tried to make the Word Settings (4) file standard on all machines,
but this does not seem to help at all.  We are using a variety of
machines, but most are SEs (old and FDHD).

     Summary to follow, if some kind soul(s) can help out!

--
Mike Chupa              (302) 575-0550            The time has come, the
Math/CS Department      (302) 984-0498            Walrus said, to talk of

hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu (09/07/89)

>     Users of MW 4.0 at my site are having great problems with
>the formatting of documents opened on one Mac that were created on
>another.  The problem seems to have something to do with the differ-
>ent ruler widths that Word 4 displays on compact Mac screens.  The
>screen either gives 6" of text per line, or slightly more than 6.5"
>per line, which is wreaking havoc on both the screen view and printed
>output.

We had a similar problem with Word 3.0.  Our problem was that one
machine was using an Imagewriter and the other was using a
Laserwriter.  Word uses different rulers for the different printers.
I agree it is very disconcerting.  I would start a document at work
on a Mac/LW combination and take the file home to my Mac/IW
combination to finish.  To my suprise the document would have
changed.  I did not find the answer in the books, but selecting the
correct printer through the chooser does the trick.

Harold L. Trammel	hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu
IAPIC-CVM
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (09/07/89)

This sounds as if some of the machines have an imagewirter printer
driver chosen, and the others have a laserwriter printer driver
chosen. As I remember, the screens that have the 6.5" ruler will
have a laserwriter printer driver controlling the screen output.

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (09/07/89)

>      Users of MW 4.0 at my site are having great problems with
> the formatting of documents opened on one Mac that were created on
> another.  The problem seems to have something to do with the differ-
> ent ruler widths that Word 4 displays on compact Mac screens.  The
> screen either gives 6" of text per line, or slightly more than 6.5"
> per line, which is wreaking havoc on both the screen view and printed
> output.
>
>      Has anyone encountered this before, or know of a fix?  I have
> tried to make the Word Settings (4) file standard on all machines,
> but this does not seem to help at all.  We are using a variety of
> machines, but most are SEs (old and FDHD).
>
>      Summary to follow, if some kind soul(s) can help out!

The reason for the different ruler sizes is the that your machines are
printing on different printers--or at least, the Chooser DA thinks so.
If you "Choose" ImageWriter, you get a 6" ruler; if you "Choose" Laser-
Writer, you get a >6.5" ruler.  You can always choose the exact size
of the margins in Page Set-Up (ver. 3.02) or Document (ver. 4.0), but
if you choose 1in margins instead of 1.25in, and you haec "Chosen" Image-
Writer, the last 0.5" of text on the right will be hidden (but you can use
the horizontal scroll bar).

There are two easy solutions:  always set up your documents to have 1.25"
margins (thus you will still get different rulers on your machines, but
the text will always be in the first 6"), or always "Choose" LaserWriter
when editing, which will give you the default 6.5" ruler.  Change it back
if you print on an ImageWriter, just for printing.  I used to have a
macro (AutoMac III) to toggle the printer in Chooser...

I hope this helps!

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (09/08/89)

In article <222000001@iapic> hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu writes:
|>     Users of MW 4.0 at my site are having great problems with
|>the formatting of documents opened on one Mac that were created on
|>another.  The problem seems to have something to do with the differ-
|>ent ruler widths that Word 4 displays on compact Mac screens.  . . .
|
|We had a similar problem with Word 3.0.  Our problem was that one
|machine was using an Imagewriter and the other was using a
|Laserwriter.  Word uses different rulers for the different printers.
|I agree it is very disconcerting.

On the machine with the Imagewriter, if you select "Tall Adjusted" in
the Page Setup dialog in Word 4 and most other applications (it's the
Print dialog in Word 3), the width of the page will be effectively the
same as when the Laserwriter is used.  This should get you back and
forth between machines OK.  Alas, it won't come out quite right with
the new MacDraw, however.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com    |
   or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617) 873-3463   |

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (09/09/89)

In article <4307@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> chupa@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Michael A Chupa) writes:

>     Users of MW 4.0 at my site are having great problems with
>the formatting of documents opened on one Mac that were created on
>another.  The problem seems to have something to do with the differ-
>ent ruler widths that Word 4 displays on compact Mac screens.

Hmmmm.  Is the problem the ruler, or is it that some of the documents
have Fractional Widths turned on?  This little gem improves the quality
of LaserWritten output at the expense of consistant formatting (and some
of the rest of us *enjoy* being inconsistant :-)).  You also need to
check as to screen fonts being used -- recent postings in other threads
pointed out 1) MS-Word refers to fonts by FOND number, not by name, so
renumbered fonts (due to number conflicts) are not the same font, and 2)
MS-Word uses the *screen* font formatting characteristics to handle
some of the niceties (and Apple and Adobe screen fonts differ in these
characteristics).

Your mileage and format may vary ...

---
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]