[comp.sys.mac] Tables of Contents and Figures in Word 4.0

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (09/08/89)

Some time ago someone posted a round-about way of creating a separate
table of contents for the figures in his document. Does anyone remember
what this method was? Thanks very much in advance.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |Its a dog eat dog world & Im wear-|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |ing milkbone underwear.Norm@Cheers|

========
| Curt |
========

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (09/09/89)

In article <11462@boulder.Colorado.EDU> stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) writes:

>Some time ago someone posted a round-about way of creating a separate
>table of contents for the figures in his document. Does anyone remember
>what this method was? Thanks very much in advance.
>|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
>|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
Trivial:
Use (invisible text of course...) .cx. for basic table of contents,
where x is 1 thru 7.
THen use x= 8 for figures, x=9 for tables, and then when you go to
Table of COntents menu, select only the levels of .cx. that you want
for each table.
Of course, you do have to remember to select "NO" when it asks
if you want to replace the existing TofC as you generate each o
f the separate tables.

mush for the line counter

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!carl
54 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge,MA 02140 617-864-0201
"disclaimer? I'm not a doctor, but I do have a Master's Degree in Science!"

jhenry@randvax.UUCP (Jim Henry) (09/09/89)

I set up our documents with heading levels 1-6 for text headings, 7 and 8
for tables (we use two line titles), and 9 for figures.

When you want to generate the table of contents, you do it by outline
levels, selecting the appropriate range.  Once you have the tables in your
document in the right place, Word will recognize which table goes with
which range of levels and replace them correctly.

I'm not sure if this is really round-about but it does the job.