[comp.sys.mac] Prolog for Mac?

knaredd2@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Krishna) (08/31/89)

Could someone point out to Prolog implementations for the Mac - public domain or
 something that could be purchased.

 Thanks,
 krishna

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (09/07/89)

In article <2409@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> knaredd2@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Krishna)
writes:
> Could someone point out to Prolog implementations for the Mac - public
domain or
>  something that could be purchased.

I've been very pleased with Advanced A.I. Systems' Prolog, a commercial
product from Advanced A.I. Systems, Inc., P.O. Box 39-0360, Mountain View,
CA 94039-0360.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

fromherz@unizh.UUCP (fromherz) (09/08/89)

We evaluated several Prolog implementations on the Macintosh for use in
research and for real-life applications. About the best system you can get
(to our knowledge) is LPA MacProlog.

LPA MacProlog 2.7
   From:
     Logic Programming Associates Ltd
     Studio 4
     The Royal Victoria Patriotic Building
     Trinity Road
     London SW18 3SX
   Price:
     to be asked (several versions possible, at least 500 Pound)
   Integration into Macintosh:
     very good, i.e.
        windows for query, input and output,
        menu-driven, ...
   Built-in Predicates:
     standard built-ins (Clocksin & Mellish)
     set predicates ("all-solution predicates")
     predicates for graphics
     predicates for mouse handling, window handling, event handling ...
   Syntax:
     Edinburgh
   Programs:
     limited kind of module concept (programs can be partitioned
       into windows where they are defined)
     integrated editor (editing on each window)
     can be interpreted, compiled, or optimized selectively
     can be unloaded selectively
     can be saved as text, source or in compiled version
   Debugging:
     limited and full tracing available
     call chain can be shown graphically (call graphs)
   Environment Interface:
     interfaces to Pascal and C
   Memory Need:
     at least 1 MB (graphics and similar activities prefer more)
   User Manuals:
     "Environment Guide" and "Reference Manual", extensive and helpful
   Online Help:
     provided
   Some Comments:
     MacProlog is very convenient. Developing and testing (editing, compiling,
     debugging) is a very fast, straight-forward process.
     MacProlog seems to have all necessary capabilities (i.e. built-ins),
     which are efficiently implemented and easy to use. Even the user
     interface (including the editor) is partly written in Prolog.
     MacProlog is pretty fast.
   Application:
     Application utility and bundle (and icon) editor support the development
     of stand-alone applications.

Highly recommended (if you've got the money).
I have nothing to do with LPA except for being a very satisfied customer.

Markus P.J. Fromherz
University of Zuerich, Switzerland
fromherz@ifi.unizh.ch

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (09/10/89)

In article <306@unizh.UUCP> fromherz@gorgo.UUCP () writes:
>  [Explains how Logic Programming Associates' Prolog is a Very Good Product]
> Highly recommended (if you've got the money).
> I have nothing to do with LPA except for being a very satisfied customer.
> Markus P.J. Fromherz
> University of Zuerich, Switzerland

Careful here. When I was looking around for a Mac Prolog system about 6
months ago, I looked at LPA prolog. I called their U.S. address and received
a demo floppy, that I proceeded to send flying out of my window a half day
later. Scads of bugs, nonstandard use of the Mac interface (including
mouse text selections that worked only sporadically), and the general
impression that this was a PC and/or UNIX program shoehorned onto a Mac
without much understanding or concern (the accompanying price list
consisted mostly of PC products).

Obviously this cannot be the same program that Markus Fromherz praises
so highly in his article. Seeing how he gives a British address for LPA,
it is possible that the U.S. distributor is (or was, as may be) selling
an old, outdated version. That does of course not reflect well on the
company as a whole.

In summary, I was negatively impressed by LPA's product offering, not
only from the software quality point of view, but also from their pricing
policies (talk about Sticker Shock! Well over $1000 for a usable product,
in little bits and extra pieces.) Of course, if your company/university
pays for it, that aspect may not count for much.

In any case, Caveat Emptor.
  -- perry

P.S.:	I've bought AAIS Prolog instead, and am very satisfied with it.
	Under $200 street price, too.
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		     perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **	   ...!pacbell!key!perry