[comp.sys.mac] updating the desktop for 1 minute

bob@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Bob Bishop) (09/09/89)

 I have a problem that I need help with!
 After I save anything into my hard disk the "updating the desktop"
statement comes on and stays on and nothing seems to happen for about
one full minute!

 I have an SE two floppies and an int. 40 Meg Quantum Hard Drive plus
2.5 Meg ram.  This problem did not exist before my upgrade to the hard drive.
It ran fine with the 2.5 Meg ram.  I'm using System 6.02 with the normal
Finder.  It doesn't hang up like every time I access the disk. I am
running off the hard drive.  Downloading into the hard disk from the net
does not cause problems, only duplicating or transferring files from another
disk drive cause the problem.

Is this a software problem or a hard ware problem.  I'm assuming software.
Will changing my system and finder fix the problem?

I do have a lot of fonts and DA's in the system (about 2meg), could
this cause a problem?

I would appreciate any help on this matter!  Please E-mail your help
 to bob@ivucsb.sba.ca.us

Bob Bishop

narco@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Wichers) (09/10/89)

In article <1989Sep9.073536.3065@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> bob@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Bob Bishop) writes:
> I have a problem that I need help with!
> After I save anything into my hard disk the "updating the desktop"
>statement comes on and stays on and nothing seems to happen for about
>one full minute!

Well, one quick and easy thing you could do is rebuild your desktop file. If
you have a hard drive, the the desktop file can get pretty cluttered in a
relatively short time, especially if you shift a lot of files around. While
there are a number of programs that can do it for you, the easiest way is to
start (or restart) your mac, and then hold down the command and option keys
until it asks you whether or not you want the desktop to be rebuilt. It'll
take a few minutes, especially if you haven't done it in a while.

--John Wichers

--
             UUCP:| ...!{harvard,linus,att}!dartvax!eleazar!narco
         InterNet:| narco@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (09/10/89)

Try the following solutions:

-Rebuild the desktop by holding down the Command and Option keys
 together as you restart your Macintosh. This creates a fresh
 desktop file that may be more efficient than the one that
 currently exists on your computer.

-Use a de-fragmentation program, such as Disk Express from AlSoft,
 to optimize the file organization on your hard disk. As you add and
 delete files from your disk, the amount of continuous open space
 on the disk becomes smaller, and files have to be broken up and
 spread across several segments of disk space to fit on the disk.

The desktop file is an invisible file which maps out the hard disk,
and the fact that it takes so long for your mac to update the disk
indicates the Desktop directory is either very large, very complex,
or damaged. It's unlikely this is a hardware problem. You might also
run Apple's Disk First Aid before running the above programs.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/10/89)

In article <15497@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> narco@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Wichers) writes:
>In article <1989Sep9.073536.3065@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> bob@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Bob Bishop) writes:
>> I have a problem that I need help with!
>> After I save anything into my hard disk the "updating the desktop"
>>statement comes on and stays on and nothing seems to happen for about
>>one full minute!

>Well, one quick and easy thing you could do is rebuild your desktop file. If

>start (or restart) your mac, and then hold down the command and option keys
>until it asks you whether or not you want the desktop to be rebuilt. It'll

Also, you'll want to restart your machine without any INITs or MultiFinder
or MacsBug / TMON / The Debugger / whatever debugger you prefer...
(The INIT cdev is good - I'll be sending that post card, I think...)
if you're low on memory (< 4 Meg) since I can't rebuild the desktop on
my 40 meg HD in a 2 Meg SEx unless I start with the barest minimum of system.

Why does the re-build take that much memory ? 5 % of the entire disk just
to rebuild the desktop seem like pretty much to me...

h+@nada.kth.se
--
Moooo.

narco@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Wichers) (09/11/89)

In article <1590@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>Also, you'll want to restart your machine without any INITs or MultiFinder
>or MacsBug / TMON / The Debugger / whatever debugger you prefer...
>(The INIT cdev is good - I'll be sending that post card, I think...)
>if you're low on memory (< 4 Meg) since I can't rebuild the desktop on
>my 40 meg HD in a 2 Meg SEx unless I start with the barest minimum of system.
>
>Why does the re-build take that much memory ? 5 % of the entire disk just
>to rebuild the desktop seem like pretty much to me...

This seems pretty strange to me. I have no problems whatsoever rebuilding
the desktop of my 60 meg drive on a plus with 2 1/2 megs. This is with
system 6.0.2 with multifinder and more inits than necessary (about 25 or
so). One thing that I did have to do is go to the Get Info box for the
finder and allocate more memory for it, but other than that I had no problems
(I think I set the memory at 600k-I didn't care what the minimum was, I just
wanted to get it done). This was with a desktop that was probably >200k at
that point.

narco

--
             UUCP:| ...!{harvard,linus,att}!dartvax!eleazar!narco
         InterNet:| narco@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU
         Hardcopy:| HB 4301; Dartmouth College; Hanover, NH 03755
"Her eyes were cold and harsh...which made them tough to chew." -Danno

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/11/89)

In article <15515@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> narco@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Wichers) writes:
>This seems pretty strange to me. I have no problems whatsoever rebuilding
>the desktop of my 60 meg drive on a plus with 2 1/2 megs. This is with
>system 6.0.2 with multifinder and more inits than necessary (about 25 or
>so). One thing that I did have to do is go to the Get Info box for the
>finder and allocate more memory for it, but other than that I had no problems

OK, I should have said: Startup w/o MultiFinder, since then the Finder has
all of the memory to play with :-) (This is easily achieved through starting
up and depressing the command-key after the INITS have loaded. Did you know
that if you use "normal" finder, if you quit an application and depress
option-command, you'll rebuild the desktop. Quite natural, when you think
about it :-)

Happy Hacking
--
Don't believe a word I say, I always lie.