[comp.sys.mac] Help! What do you do with a SIT file?

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (09/08/89)

I've got hold of a copy of BinHex 5.0 and Kermit, so I can copy
comp.binaries.mac files to my Mac and convert them, but I find that
most of them turn out to be xxx.sit files, which seem to need some
application (called SIT! ?) to turn them into something useful.

Help!  What do I need to do here?

Thanks!

Tim
--
tjfs@tadtec.uucp   ..!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Titan House, Castle Park, CAMBRIDGE, CB3 0AY, UK

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (09/10/89)

You need the shareware application Stuffit, by Raymond Lau, in order to use the
SIT! type files.  The Stuffit files are compressed archives, and the format is
considered fairly standard.

A binhexed copy of Stuffit should be available from your FTP site or any local
user group.

-mike rose
mr2t@andrew.cmu.edu

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (09/11/89)

In article <TJFS.89Sep8172357@tadtec.tadtec.uucp> tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) writes:
>I've got hold of a copy of BinHex 5.0 and Kermit, so I can copy
>comp.binaries.mac files to my Mac and convert them, but I find that
>most of them turn out to be xxx.sit files, which seem to need some
>application (called SIT! ?) to turn them into something useful.
>Help!  What do I need to do here?

SIT! files are created by StuffIt, which is an archive utility.
Just get StuffIt (from a friend, anonymous ftp from the info-mac archives
at sumex-aim.stanford.edu in /info-mac/util) and double-click at the file
or open it from inside StuffIt.

No need to use BinHex, since there is an option in StuffIt called "decode
binhexed file" which will do the work for you.

--
Stefan Lindmark  Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se  Snail-mail: Don't even bother...
If everybody helped one newuser today, the world would look a bit happier.