[net.wanted] Comparison of long distance companies?

kiessig@idi.UUCP (Rick Kiessig) (02/13/85)

Has anyone seen a comparison of the costs and capabilities of
the various long distance companies?  I've been using SPRINT
for a long time, but I'm beginning to think they may not be
the cheapest/best service available.  Here are the long distance
companies I know of.  If you know of any others, or if you
know of a comparison showing price (including monthly minimums,
installation charges, billing increments, etc.), please let me know.

	AT&T
	GTE SPRINT
	MCI
	AllNet
	Western Union Long Distance (formerly Metrophone)
	<<doesn't RCA also have a long distance company?>>

--
Rick Kiessig
{decvax, ucbvax}!sun!idi!kiessig

koo@cornell.UUCP (Richard Koo) (02/13/85)

In article <276@idi.UUCP> kiessig@idi.UUCP (Rick Kiessig) writes:
>Has anyone seen a comparison of the costs and capabilities of
>the various long distance companies?  I've been using SPRINT
>for a long time, but I'm beginning to think they may not be
>the cheapest/best service available.  Here are the long distance
>companies I know of.  If you know of any others, or if you
>know of a comparison showing price (including monthly minimums,
>installation charges, billing increments, etc.), please let me know.
>
>	AT&T
>	GTE SPRINT
>	MCI
>	AllNet
>	Western Union Long Distance (formerly Metrophone)
>	<<doesn't RCA also have a long distance company?>>
>
>--
>Rick Kiessig
>{decvax, ucbvax}!sun!idi!kiessig
>{akgua, allegra, amd, burl, cbosgd, decwrl, dual, ihnp4}!idi!kiessig
>Phone: 408-996-2399

	I think the August or September, 1984 issue of Consumer Report
    contained a report on the above long-distance phone companies.
    Things may have changed since then, of course.

                            Richard Koo
                            Cornell University
                            Department of Computer Science

lazeldes@wlcrjs.UUCP (Leah A Zeldes) (02/14/85)

In article <276@idi.UUCP> kiessig@idi.UUCP (Rick Kiessig) writes:
>Has anyone seen a comparison of the costs and capabilities of
>the various long distance companies?

	I did such a comparison as a research project a couple of
years ago, and came up with MAX as the best deal.  I've been using
it since.  However, my information may be dated, and MAX isn't available
everywhere.

	I got much of my information from a study done by the Public
Interest Research Group (PIRG).  Perhaps they've done an update?

--

					Leah A Zeldes
					...ihnp4!wlcrjs!lazeldes