[net.music] RE; Mahler revisted

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/21/83)

From: In.from.the.ENET, sent by Ed Featherston <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.music
>From : STAR::MALIK
Re; Mahler revisted

	I was surprized by the number of Mahler lovers out there. Or
rather, I surprized given the context - after a month of favorite
album titles and Rice Crispie lyrics, I was starting to wonder about
net.music users.

	At any rate, I wonder if all you Mahler lovers are familiar
with a work by Luciano Berio entitled 'Sinfonia'? It's available
on record (Columbia Masterworks series 7268), the composer conducting
the New York Philharmonic and The Swingle Singers.

	It was written in 1968 and consists of 4 parts.  It's the
3rd of these that I think you might be interested in hearing. It
is a dramatic and moving collage of the musics of many composers;
the 3rd movement of Mahler's 2nd Symphony serving as the unifying
element.

	In the words of the composer - "The Mahler movement is treated
like a container within whose framework a large number of references
is proliferated, interrelated and integrated into the flowing structure
of the original work itself. The references range from Bach, Schoenberg,
Debussy, Ravel, Strauss, Berlioz, Brahms, Berg, Hindemith, Beethoven,
Wagner, Stravinsky to Boulez, Stockhausen, Globokar, Pousseur, Ives,
myself and beyond."

	All these styles plus numerous texts/lyrics which center around
Samuel Beckett's 'The Unnamable'. The effect is very powerful. Don't
be put off by The Swingle Singers. Their performance is well done and
dead serious.

	If you hate modern music, this might change your mind. It's
always nice to have a friend along (Mahler) when you visit someplace
foreign.
					Happy New Ears,

					Karl Malik

	(UUCP)  {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!star!malik

	(ARPA)  decwrl!rhea!star!malik@Berkeley
	        decwrl!rhea!star!malik@SU-Shasta

 End Forwarded Message