[comp.sys.mac] Invasion of the Color Nazis

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/08/89)

I'm actually using a Mac for real work for the first time this week -- we
just got a hot new logic analyzer from Gould that uses a Mac for the front
end to the analyzer.  The Mac is a IIcx with the normal color board.

The problem:  I decided that the display was too slow with 8 or 4 bits/color,
but decent at 2 or 1 bit/color.  I really wanted to set up the standard
display in 2 bits/color to match the colors I usually use on my color Amigas.
Only, the #^*&^%@ system configuration tool refuses to let me change the
black or the white.  Does anyone out there know a way around this?  I am
absolutely convinced that I know my color preferences far better than some
stupid computer.  This machine isn't being what I'd call _User_Friendly_.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Other than that, I'm impressed with the crispness of the display on this
beast.  I'm depressed about the hard disk -- that thing absolutely crawls;
are they normally slow, or did I perhaps set the thing up incorrectly.  The
user interface is easy to get used to, though the menu selections that I'm
allowed to pick don't always do anything -- I suppose that's the young state
of the application I'm using, rather than a general Apple thing.  The only
other complaint I had was on the "System Error" display.  I found in this
program a very reliable way of getting System Errors, which will hopefully
vanish in future releases.  However, what really annoyed me was the fact that
I first discovered this with all kinds of data in the application that was
unsaved.  Once the System Error came up, everything froze; my only choice being
to reboot.  I'm used to the Amiga equivalent, where I have a chance to save
whatever didn't crash before rebooting.  Would Multifinder (not enough memory
for this at present) provide some similar capability?  It would be worth it to
me to track down some more memory should this be the case.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) (09/11/89)

In article <7858@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> The problem:  I decided that the display was too slow with 8 or 4
bits/color,
> but decent at 2 or 1 bit/color.  [...]
> Only, the #^*&^%@ system configuration tool refuses to let me change the
> black or the white.  Does anyone out there know a way around this?  I am
> absolutely convinced that I know my color preferences far better than
some
> stupid computer.

Apple's system software requires that the first and last of the colors in
any given ColorTable are white and black, respectively.  Utilities exist
that will allow removal of B&W from the CLUT, but _very_ strange things
start happening when you do this, as the B&W are apparently used for
internal shortcuts and the system gets lost.  Changing the CLUT directly,
as opposed to the blessed method of using the Palette Manager, is also
generally ineffective.
 - also,
> I'm used to the Amiga equivalent, where I have a chance to save
> whatever didn't crash before rebooting.  Would Multifinder...
The System Error Handler allows the _applications programmer_ to provide a
recovery procedure in the program.  Most programmers ignore this bit of
refinement, for generally (no flames, please) production software has
very, very few fatal crashes.  Thus the MacMaxim: Save early, save
often...especially when using non-production software.

ed

++++++
ed devinney, IRIS/Brown University, Providence, RI
ejd@iris.brown.edu
-- I work for a university...Disclaimers? Disclaimers! We don' need no
steenking disclaimers!! --

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (09/12/89)

-
>Apple's system software requires that the first and last of the colors in
>any given ColorTable are white and black, respectively.  Utilities exist
>that will allow removal of B&W from the CLUT, but _very_ strange things
>start happening when you do this, as the B&W are apparently used for
>internal shortcuts and the system gets lost.  Changing the CLUT directly,
>as opposed to the blessed method of using the Palette Manager, is also
>generally ineffective.

Maybe you could change the gamma table. This is the way that Dimmer works.
The system would still think that it showing white, but it could be something
totally different. You can observe this when Dimmer is activated. The system
seems to be happy even when all the colors are dark.

I'm talking about the commercial Mac II Dimmer by Chris Derossi. I think it's
the most unobstructive screen saver available.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |