[comp.sys.mac] Word4 Symbol Font Error

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (09/09/89)

Hi.  This is mainly a question for Microsoft Corp, whom Icant get
thru to on the support line.
I have Word4 on a SE, in general everything ok.  The problem is in
trying to use the keyboard shorthand to switch into Symbol font.
I hit Command-Shift-Q and the next character comes up in Symbol
font just like it should.  Trouble is, the NEXT character doesn't.
Howver,  if I move the cursor right behind the Symbol character
immediately after typing it and click there, THEN the Symbol "takes"
and I can keep typing in Symbol Font.  Curioser: that's what happens
when I'm in Plain Text.  If I first do something like going into
"superscript", then hit CmdShftQ, Symbol font "takes" the way it
should.
If I select Symbol from the menu, it works of course.
Now, If I do CmdShftQ and immediately look at the Fonts menu, it
tells me I'm in the Plain Text font, whatever that may be.

Is this "just" a bug? Is there a fix?
thankx.

--
Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!carl

nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (09/12/89)

In article <918@aoa.UUCP>, carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:
> I have Word4 on a SE, in general everything ok.  The problem is in
> trying to use the keyboard shorthand to switch into Symbol font.
> I hit Command-Shift-Q and the next character comes up in Symbol
> font just like it should.  Trouble is, the NEXT character doesn't.

Hey, I don't think you read your manual quite correctly.  Hitting
the command-shift-Q means that *only* the next *1* character is in
the symbol font.  (This lets the user avoid having to change fonts
twice, in cases where only an occasional symbol font character is
being used.)  If you want the symbol font to stay on, hit the
command-shift-q *twice*.  It should stay on then.

At least, that's the way it was on 3.01.  Haven't had occasion to
use it in 4.0 yet.

cheers, from
charles s. geiger, esq.