[comp.sys.mac] beginner help wanted

heilpern@ibd.BRL.MIL (Mark A. Heilpern ) (09/07/89)

WARNING: This posting is a mac beginners request for help.

O.K., I've been trying to download programs, in '.hqx' format, I think
I've gotten this far successfully. My major problem is I'm downloading
to an IBM-pc, and using 'Apple File Transfer Exchange' to go from 5.25"PC
to the mac. If I run 'xbin' on unix, things seem o.k., but UnStuffit does
not recognize the files I bring over. If I bring the file over in .hqx
format, BinHex does not recognize these. Any (polite) suggestions?

	Mark A. Heilpern
	heilpern@brl.mil
	--M.

KIrwin@cup.portal.com (Kent Thomas Irwin) (09/13/89)

In <comp.sys.mac>, {heilpern@ibd.BRL.MIL (Mark A. Heilpern)} writes:

>I've gotten this far successfully. My major problem is I'm downloading
>to an IBM-pc, and using 'Apple File Transfer Exchange' to go from 5.25"PC
>to the mac. If I run 'xbin' on unix, things seem o.k., but UnStuffit does
>not recognize the files I bring over. If I bring the file over in .hqx
>format, BinHex does not recognize these. Any (polite) suggestions?

For BinHex to see your files, they must be of type 'TEXT'.
You must make sure to have AFE convert from MS-DOS text to Mac text
(that will eliminate the linefeeds).  Then if your files are not
of type 'TEXT', change them using ResEdit, DiskTop, McSink, or other
handy utility.  It's also a good idea to open the files in a text editor
and eliminate the description at the begining, and any non-hex data
at the end.  The actual hex dump should begin and end with a colon.

:-)Kent T. Irwin           Usenet: kirwin@cup.portal.com
:-)Egoware, Ltd.           UUCP: sun!cup.portal.com!kirwin
:-)                        CIS: 76703,3007