[comp.sys.mac] SCCS for documents

cramer@athens.iex.com (Bill Cramer) (09/13/89)

In article <10549@claris.com> peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) writes:
>In article <57611@aerospace.AERO.ORG> louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) writes:
>>We have a requirement to put all documents and such under configuration
>>management. We are using SCCS under UNIX, but we also have to worry
>>about the stuff done on the Mac. Our first approach was to BINHEX
>>everything on the mac, and transfer to the UNIX host, and then
>>use SCCS. This is okay, but time consuming. What I would kiek t odo is
>>have an SCCS-like environment on the Mac that would work on the
>>native format of the files (Word, MacDraw...)
>>

>MPW includes a SCCS-like facility called Projector.  It's got a very nice
>dialog interface (via Commmando) or can be used from the MPW command line
>directly.  It DOES require that you are in MPW to access it.
>
>One constraint it has that might be important it you is that although it
>handles all file types (Text, MacDraw, Word, etc), it handles Text files
>better.  With Text files, only the changes since the last version are stored.
>With non-Text files each new generation stores a complete new copy of the
>file.

If you happen to be using Word for your documentation, you can save the
file as Rich Text Format (RTF).  This saves off all of the formatting
of the document but puts it into a 100% Ascii TEXT file.  Configuration
management tools like SCCS, RCS, and Projector compress pure Ascii
files by only saving the changes between versions.

Bill Cramer
IEX Corporation
Plano, Texas
{uunet,attctc,convex}!iex!cramer