[comp.sys.mac] Scarab of Ra versus Mac IIcx

lehotsky@osf.org (Alan Lehotsky) (09/14/89)

[This is for my wife - I certainly would never play games on
 a computer :-) ]

Scarab of Ra seems to occasionally hang when run on a Mac IIcx
with 8-bit color. [Of course the game only runs in B&W].  It
seems to get some sort of a glitch when clicking on the direction
arrows - the arrow stays highlighted, and the machine is hung.
Often a nasty buzzing sound comes out of the speaker.

It also tends to die if you try and run from a saved game.

Does anyone know of an updated version which is Mac IIcx friendly?

Thanks,
Al Lehotsky

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (09/14/89)

In article <866@paperboy.OSF.ORG> lehotsky@osf.org (Alan Lehotsky) writes:
> Scarab of Ra seems to occasionally hang when run on a Mac IIcx
> with 8-bit color. [Of course the game only runs in B&W].  It
> seems to get some sort of a glitch when clicking on the direction
> arrows - the arrow stays highlighted, and the machine is hung.
> Often a nasty buzzing sound comes out of the speaker.
>
> It also tends to die if you try and run from a saved game.
>
> Does anyone know of an updated version which is Mac IIcx friendly?

I wrote Scarab of RA. You are (almost certainly) running version 1.2,
which dates back to System 4.1 and the Mac Plus. It has several known bugs
that manifest under newer Systems, under MultiFinder, and on 68020's and
68030's.

Fortunately for all you archeology enthusiasts (tongue firmly in cheek
:-), version 1.3 is now available. This new version runs nicely on all
Macs and systems (except those with less than, say, 384K RAM available for
Scarab's use). It is MultiFinder friendly and behaves itself on large
screens (the old version had some unmoveable windows) and in color (it's
black-and-white, but doesn't mind color screens of any depth). Save and
Restore Game works. It also has a few other bugs fixed that most people
never encountered. It does NOT have any new features; it's just a bug fix
upgrade.

Now PLEASE pay careful attention, and I'll tell you all how to get it.

Scarab of RA 1.3 is shareware and costs ten dollars in US currency (just
like version 1.2). It has not been widely distributed yet, but that's only
because my mind's been on other things. If you have a copy, post it
wherever you please - and thanks!

Version 1.3 is FREE to anyone who has paid for version 1.2 and who can
find their own copy. Just grab a copy and enjoy!

If you have paid for version 1.2 but can't find a copy of 1.3, send me a
floppy disk (400K or 800K) *and* a SASE with 50 cents postage and I'll
send a copy back on the floppy. Free of charge, but you MUST include the
floppy and the envelope with postage.

If you HAVEN'T paid for version 1.2 and can't find 1.3, send me ten
dollars AND a floppy disk AND a SASE with 50 cents postage. I'll send a
copy back on the floppy, and mark you down as a registered owner.
(Shareware is usually try-now-pay-later, but answering mail takes a lot of
my limited time. I will respond ONLY to paid-up owners, or to people who
pay up front.)

If there is enough interest, I will see about posting 1.3 to
comp.binaries.mac. It's about ten installment's worth, and I hesitate to
jam the net with it unless there's interest.

My Snail Mail address is:
    Semicolon Software
    P.O.Box 371
    Cupertino, CA   95015-0371

And while I'm at it -- all you folks out there who've sent your ten bucks
in along with compliments and suggestions -- THANKS!!

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."