[comp.sys.mac] Program to view cdevs/inits?

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (09/06/89)

Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits (startup
documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to lose
track of them.

Thanks,
--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (09/07/89)

One of the problems is that most Inits run and then there's no
trace of them afterward.

There is an Init called Tattle Tale which generates a report of all
the ints run after it. It's really quite handy for seeing where memory
is going to and what in the heck is taking so long on boot up.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (09/07/89)

In article <6398@hubcap.clemson.edu>, mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes...
Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits (startup
documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to lose
track of them.
.
Thanks,

Yes, it's called the Finder.  :-)

Seriously, just select "View by Kind" from the Special menu in the
Finder, and startup documents will be listed in a group.

HiH,
RichL

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (09/07/89)

Mike McCann wanted to know if there was a program to display inits
or cdevs currently running on the system:

Yes, and it's called mugshot.  I believe I got my copy from sumex-aim.
It's a great program, even for how simple it is.

* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (09/07/89)

In article <4528@shlump.nac.dec.com> Richard Long writes:
|In article <6398@hubcap.clemson.edu> Mike McCann writes...
||Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits (startup
||documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to lose
||track of them.
|
|Seriously, just select "View by Kind" from the Special menu in the
|Finder, and startup documents will be listed in a group.

That's not quite the whole story.  INIT code can be found in four
places at start up time:

  1. The System file: these are all basic and nowadays no one fiddles
     with them or is supposed to.  (Except viruses :-))  When INIT 31
     runs, it locates and executes the remaining three types of INITs.

  2. "Startup Documents", files with type INIT: these run at startup
     and are generally not used beyond that time (though the code they
     contain may stay active in memory as long as the Mac is up).

  3. "Control Panel Documents", files with type cdev: these are the
     things that show up in the control panel window.  They MAY have a
     component that runs at boot-up time, contained in an INIT code
     resource.

  4. "Chooser Document", at least those files with type RDEV.  I don't
     actually know much about these, but I think they are used by file
     servers for instance.  These may also contain INIT segments.
     (Printer drivers also show up in "view-by-kind" as Chooser
     documents, but they don't contain INITs.)

So the Finder can show you all the Startup documents, true.  It will
also show you all the Control Panel documents and Chooser documents,
SOME of which MAY also contain init segments.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com    |
   or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617) 873-3463   |

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (09/10/89)

Mike McCann asks:

Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits
(startup
documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to
lose
track of them.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, so let me offer two
solutions:  The first is INITPicker, a commerical product from Microseeds
Publishing, Inc., in Tampa, FL.  A cdev, it allows you to choose (either
via control panel or at startup) what startup docs and cdevs you want to
run.  Via the control panel, it shows (by placing a checkmark) which INITs
etc. you asked to be active.  Right now it's at version 1.0.  Future
versions will add a TREMENDOUS bonus, the ability to define _SETS_ of
these babies, and the user can choose which set he wants to use.  Nifty
stuff indeed.  Wake the dog, bring in the kids....

Another nifty utility is a piece of freeware called Mug Shot (icon looks
like a mug of beer or something similar).  It's a standalone app; when
launched, it will probe your current system folder and create a text file
listing all INITs, cdevs, DAs you are using.  It was developed by a
software developer who wanted to give users a handy way to describe
problems in a program.  It's set up to give a text file where you simply
insert your name, address, etc., and the nature of your problem, and you
simply print it out and send it off to the software company.  The info it
gives is exactly what a programmer or knowledgeable tech support person
wants when trying to evaluate a software problem.  Oh, BTW, it will also
list all the info like processor, amount of memory, etc. that utilities
like MacEnvy give.

Somewhere in there is something that will do what you want.  I understand
there are free/shareware INIT managers, but I have no experience with
them.  Also, CE Software includes the great INIT manager Aask with its
MockPackage Plus, I believe.  Aask is just like INITPicker 1.0.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/12/89)

In article <22293.250CA711@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
> Mike McCann asks:
>
> Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits
> (startup
> documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to
> lose
> track of them.

If you are looking for a commercial program, you might want to take a look
at INIX from Natural Intelligence in MA. It allows you to control which
INITs and cdevs you want loaded as you boot your Mac. It also has Sets
so that you can define a set of INITs/cdevs for a specific task. I've
been using it since it was released and it runs flawlessly.

I also noticed an advertisement in the latest MacTutor for an similar
program, but it sounds like it is aimed more at the programmer. It's
price of $129.00 or something close to that is much higher than INIX's
$49.95 price.

Fred Terry
KGS
Univ. of Kansas

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (09/12/89)

In article <22293.250CA711@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes...
>Mike McCann asks:
>
>Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits
>(startup
>documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to
>lose
>track of them.

>>Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, so let me offer two
>>solutions:  The first is INITPicker, a commerical product from Microseeds
>>Publishing, Inc., in Tampa, FL.  A cdev, it allows you to choose (either

[Stuff about commercial CDEV/INIT pickers deleted]

I'd just like to throw in a recommendation for "init cdev", which is a
(essentially) freeware utility; the author requests a postcard, so he can know
how far his "little program" has gotten.  I think the current version is 2.0.

"init cdev" allows to selectively activate and deactivate your INITs.  It does
this by twiddling something in the creator field of the file (I think), but
whatever it does, when an INIT is inactive it receives the generic document
icon; when reactivated, its own icon returns.

There is a control panel interface, essentially a scrolling list of all INITs
in your system.  Activated INITs appear highlighted in the list, and you
activate/deactivate with a single click.  It can also be run at startup--you
merely hold the space bar or mouse button just after the welcome screen
appears, and the scrolling list pops up.  Changes made at this time can be
flagged as temporary (i.e. effective this boot only).

This is an EXCELLENT utilty; highly recommended.

p.s.  my postcard is in the mail!

---
Disclaimer: I speak for myself only, but you can listen!
 /~~) /~~ /               ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long  --or--
/~~\ /__ /__              long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) (09/14/89)

In article <22293.250CA711@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
> Mike McCann asks:
>
> Is there a program (cdev would be nice) to view the inits
> (startup
> documents) that are running on the system?  It is very easy to
> lose
> track of them.

Also recommended is the cdev called "init/cdev".  It is by a fellow from
Australian named John Rotenstein and is very similar in function to Aask.
It is HappiWare "If you like it, remember to smile!" (Actually the author
asks you forward a postcard to him in Australia).

I've used this cdev for months now and it works just fine.  And coming from an
INIT addict like myself, that means a lot!

You should be able to ftp this INIT from sumex.