[comp.sys.mac] Is it a modem -- or a radio?!

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (09/10/89)

I have a problem that's cropped up only recently.

When I dial, there is a small pause after the modem completes
its dialing sequence and before it actually connects with the other
computer. In that pause, I hear music, news, weather reports, etc.
coming out of the modem's speaker. Apparently this stuff is from
a radio station (as opposed to aliens or KGB agents).

Other folks have heard this, so psychiatric treatment will not
solve the problem.

ANyone have this happen to them? Why do you think my modem is picking
up this music? How can I correct the problem? Changing the wiring
configuration does not work; everything but the phone wire itself is
shielded.

barry@primerd.prime.com (09/11/89)

I had a similar problem about 15 years ago when I had a model 37
teletype installed at home in a finished basement.  The 37 had a builtin
phone with an external speaker.  The radio interference was so loud at
first that I could plainly hear the radio station (not one to which I
would have listened) at the other end of the house.  The problem was
severely diminished, but not totally eliminated, when the phone company
put a filter on the line.  With the filter in place, I could hear the
radio station when I turned up the volume on the speaker, but not when
the  speaker was set at its lowest setting.

I suggest you report your problem to your local phone company.  As I
recall, the filter cost me nothing.  By the way, how close are you to
the transmitter(s) in question?

Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.

ar4@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (09/11/89)

modem...

	I have had the same problem with noisy telephone lines.  The lines
were clear until some contractors dug a ditch in front of my house one
sunny afternoon. In that ditch was what remained of my street's phone lines.
They decided to patch it themselves and save the cost of paying the telephone
company to repair the wiring.  They were apparently unsuccessful in
patching the wiring because from that day on, we received a very strong
broadcast signal from WLW and Voice of America (both less than 5 miles away).

	The noise you are receiving is most likely the result of the
unshielded wiring or a poor patch job. Best cure: ATM0 (modem command to
turn the speaker off on a Hayes compatible)

	-- Piper Keairnes

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (09/12/89)

Lou@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have a problem that's cropped up only recently.

>When I dial, there is a small pause after the modem completes
>its dialing sequence and before it actually connects with the other
>computer. In that pause, I hear music, news, weather reports, etc.
>coming out of the modem's speaker. Apparently this stuff is from
>a radio station (as opposed to aliens or KGB agents).

Is the phone in an area with a multi-line connection ? I had a modem on
a five line phone that would play what every radio station the hold
button would force on waiting customers. It was a bit muted, though. I
figured it for poor shielding in the main phone box.

Matt "have you heard the voices?" Mashyna
Macintosh Initiative
H&SS Dean's Office
Carnegie Mellon

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (09/14/89)

In article <22020@cup.portal.com> Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) writes:
>I have a problem that's cropped up only recently.
>
>When I dial, there is a small pause after the modem completes
>its dialing sequence and before it actually connects with the other
>computer. In that pause, I hear music, news, weather reports, etc.
>coming out of the modem's speaker. Apparently this stuff is from
>a radio station (as opposed to aliens or KGB agents).

I had this problem once.  I lived about a mile from a powerful rock
music station in Knoxville, Tennessee.  The station was strong enough
that sometimes I could hear it very faintly on my stereo record
player, with the record player not even plugged in!  (No, I don't
believe in magic; I believe it was the piezoelectric crystal in the
needle responding to currents induced in the wiring.)

You didn't say whether you could use the modem.  I got so many errors
I could seldom even log in, and even when I could, the line quality
was so poor it wasn't worth the effort.  We're talking really, really
unusable here.

I called Ma Bell (as I recall, this was when the grand old lady still
lived).  At that time, and probably still, the phone company tried to
give you good speech lines, but if you had computer problems that was
your tough luck.

Fortunately, I could (sometimes) hear the music on my telephone, so I
had a case for getting a telephone person out to the house.  Doubly
fortunately, I got a competent young guy who took an interest in my
real problem, and spend half a day working on it.  There are filters
that the phone company can put on your line to screen out the radio
station; he did so, and they didn't work.  Then there are real,
industrial-strength filters that the phone company has but doesn't
want to give you (or even let you know they exist); he used one that
finally got one phone jack in my house useable.

After that, the modem for my Apple II+ worked great, and an acoustic
modem I used with a VDT worked pretty well most of the time, provided
I used that one wall jack.

  -- dave

P.S.  Psychiatry seldom solves anything.  Lobotomy, now....

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
* 20th anniversary?  Yeah, but it's 17 years since the LAST man on the moon! *