[comp.sys.mac] How do I send postscript output to a LaserWriter?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/14/89)

Here's my situation:

I have a Mac in my room on campus, but no printer.  I have plenty of PostScript
fonts installed on my system, and several applications that I frequently use
(SuperPaint, MacWrite II, PageMaker, &c.).

I don't have a printer.  To print, I have to bring my disks to a public
Macintosh room, copy everything onto a hard disk, and make use of the
University's laser printers.

This is rough - having to install PostScript code, bitmapped fonts, and
big applications every time I want to print something out.  But then I heard
about the trick where you can save a PostScript image of your file rather than
printing it out.

So, I set the Chooser on my Mac in my dorm to print on a (nonexistant)
LaserWriter.  I went into an application, brought up the Print dialog box,
and pressed Command-F immediately after I clicked on OK.  Just as advertised,
my Mac saved a file titled 'PostScript0' on the disk instead of trying to
actually print the document.

I copied the PostScript0 file onto a floppy along with the SendPS application,
and tried to send it to a LaserWriter.  No go - the LaserWriter keeps reporting
all sorts of errors.  It won't print.

Why would this be?  From the little PostScript I know, the (text) output file
looks legitimate; at any rate, I don't see the difference between printing it
directly, or 'printing' it as a text file which is then downloaded to the
printer.

Imbedded in the PostScript code are the definitions for the PostScript fonts
which would normally be downloaded to the printer, so that's okay.

Both my Mac and the LaserWriters in question are running the LaserWriter driver
version 6.0.

I also tried bringing the PostScript code into Microsoft Word version 4.0,
making it 'hidden', and printing that.  The printer thought it over for a
few minutes, but in the end didn't produce even a blank page.

What am I doing wrong?  In the end, I'd love to be able to print all my output
to PostScript files and cart it over to the LaserWriters on one disk rather
than having to install my entire library on the public machines every night.
This shouldn't be this difficult...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (09/14/89)

In article <10411@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

[Errors when downloading postscript code created on one Mac to another
Mac]

The cause of the problem may be that the versions of the printer
driver (LaserWriter and LaserPrep) of your system at home and the one
on campus don't match.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (09/14/89)

In article <10411@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>Here's my situation:
>
>I don't have a printer.  To print, I have to bring my disks to a public
>Macintosh room, copy everything onto a hard disk, and make use of the
>University's laser printers.
>
>So, I set the Chooser on my Mac in my dorm to print on a (nonexistant)
>LaserWriter.  I went into an application, brought up the Print dialog box,
>and pressed Command-F immediately after I clicked on OK.  Just as advertised,
>my Mac saved a file titled 'PostScript0' on the disk instead of trying to
>actually print the document.
>
>I copied the PostScript0 file onto a floppy along with the SendPS application,
>and tried to send it to a LaserWriter.  No go - the LaserWriter keeps reporting
>all sorts of errors.  It won't print.

Well, there are a couple of things you can try.  First, create the
file using cmd-K to include the LaserPrep file.  Make sure you stick
to the basic Times, Helvetica, etc. fonts resident in the
LaserWriter`s ROM.  If the LaserWriter you print to has fonts
downloaded to a harddisk, you can use those too.  Otherwise, you must
download the fonts you use prior to the file.

If that doesn't work, there is a program which runs on UNIX systems
called macps.  You create your PostScript file using cmd-F, upload it
to a UNIX host attached to a LaserWriter and use macps to print it.

>--
>| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
>| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |
>| Princeton University  |       than I do now.  | @PUCC.BITNET               |

Go Big Red!

                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414
                            Milwaukee, WI  53201
          (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallett@positron.med.ge.com