[comp.sys.mac] Allegro CL and GateKeeper

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (09/14/89)

I forgot to mention in my previous posting: Allegro CL 1.2.2 causes
GateKeeper to veto:

   Res(System) privileges against System [SetResAttrs (CDEF, 1)]

Is this a real problem?

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (09/15/89)

In article <19583@mimsy.UUCP> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>I forgot to mention in my previous posting: Allegro CL 1.2.2 causes
>GateKeeper to veto:
>
>   Res(System) privileges against System [SetResAttrs (CDEF, 1)]
>
>Is this a real problem?
>
>Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)

Judging by the privilege, I'd guess that it's not a virus - if that's what you
mean by a problem.  I can't, however, imagine why a program would need to
carry out such an operation, so I'd say that there's something rather weird
about the way Allegro CL is implemented (at least until I hear an explanation).

MS Excel is the only other program I've seen that pulls the same stunt.

For a number of reasons, when I created GateKeeper 1.1.1, I made the
SetResAttrs monitor less strict, so, if you don't already have 1.1.1, get a
copy and try it out.  Allegro CL may not need privileges for that operation
anymore.

Let me know what you find out.

----Chris (Johnson)
----Author of Gatekeeper