[comp.sys.mac] AppleColor Intermittent Monitor Failure

malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (09/13/89)

Three or four times a year (it just happened not 20 minutes ago), the color
monitor on my Mac II just powers off, leaving the cpu active.  This particular
time (and previous times were similar, to the best of my recollection), trying
to turn off/turn on the monitor directly failed after four or five attempts
(the power came on, but only for a brief moment, accompanied by the characteristic
hum).  Powering down the cpu, and then restarting it and the monitor (with
the monitor button pushed in as per normal) resulted in normal operation again.

Does anybody know what is going on?  It only happens rarely, but it _really_
bugs me!
--

  -- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@girtab.usc.edu)

mw2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Asher Weissman) (09/13/89)

malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) posts:
>Three or four times a year (it just happened not 20 minutes ago), the color
>monitor on my Mac II just powers off, leaving the cpu active.  This particular
>hum).  Powering down the cpu, and then restarting it and the monitor (with
>the monitor button pushed in as per normal)resulted in normal operation again

	I too have had my monitor fail as listed above, but much more
frequently, about once or twice a week.  What I normally do is turn off only
the monitor for about five minutes, and then turn it back on, and it works
fine.
	I suspect that our power supplies are failing.  At the moment I dont
feel like shelling out another couple hundred dollars to fix it, although I
suspect I will have to do it soon.
	This problem has been occuring since last February, and I hope my
monitor stays alive a few more months.
	On a related subject, is Apple's warranty.  I can only point out that
for a company who feels that their products are made so well that any defect
will be found in the first 90 days, why is it that numerous repairs are made
in the second three month period?

		- Miles Weissma
	Vice President Carnegie Mellon's Macintosh Users' Group

ARPANet:	mw2k@andrew.cmu.edu
USnail Mail:	5115 Margaret Morrison st
		Box 885
		Pittsburgh, PA  15213
Phone:		( 412 ) - 268 - 4283

Myron-Meier@cup.portal.com (Myron R Meier) (09/15/89)

mw2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Asher Weissman) writes:
>malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) posts:
>>Three or four times a year (it just happened not 20 minutes ago), the color
>>monitor on my Mac II just powers off, leaving the cpu active.  This particula
>>hum).  Powering down the cpu, and then restarting it and the monitor (with
>>the monitor button pushed in as per normal)resulted in normal operation again
>
>	I too have had my monitor fail as listed above, but much more
>frequently, about once or twice a week.  What I normally do is turn off only
>the monitor for about five minutes, and then turn it back on, and it works
>fine.
>	I suspect that our power supplies are failing.  At the moment I dont
>feel like shelling out another couple hundred dollars to fix it, although I
>suspect I will have to do it soon.

My AppleColor monitor failed not too long ago.  One day I just walked into the
room and moved the mouse to deactivate the screen saver.  When nothing happened
I noticed that the power light was off.  Nothing I did would make that
monitor say on longer that about a half a second.  It cost me $200 inc. labor
to get it fixed.  It was the power supply.  It was a little over a year old.
I hope yours lasts longer than mine did.

On a related note, my monitor has always made a very nasty (and sometimes very
loud) buzz when I first turn it on.  I mentioned it to the tech who replaced
the power supply (hoping it was a design defect = free repair, maybe) but he
just shrugged it off.  Anybody else's monitor do the same thing?

Myron
Myron-Meier@cup.portal.com