[comp.sys.mac] HELP! More Jasmine Troubles

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (09/12/89)

Another Jasmine data point.  I recommended a Jasmine 70 Meg hard disk for
my brother about 1 1/2 years ago.  He bought one then and it died two weeks
ago.  Since then, he's tried calling Jasmine's support line many, many, many
times with no luck.  Usually he gets no answer or a recording/put on hold.
Several times he's called early trying to catch them off guard, hoping
that maybe he'd get through.  The closest he got is a person that told him
he must call back in 10 minutes when the support people arrive.  He did so
with obviously no luck.

HELP!

I feel guilty for recommending Jasmine.  Has anyone had any luck getting
through to their support people?  If so, what's the trick?
Is Jasmine having financial problems or what?
Now, I have another friend that wants to buy an inexpensive 20-40 Meg external
hard disk and I don't know what to recommend.  Is there any lower cost
hard-disk vendor that's had a good track record?

Steven Miller

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/12/89)

In article <780049@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) writes...
[...]
>I feel guilty for recommending Jasmine.  Has anyone had any luck getting
>through to their support people?  If so, what's the trick?

I didn't have any problems getting through to Jasmine tech support a couple of
months ago.  I called about 4 in the afternoon CST, got put on hold for a
couple of minutes, then someone took my number and said they'd call me back.
They called back in about 1/2 an hour.

Robert
======
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
=============================
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/12/89)

In article <780049@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) writes:
>Another Jasmine data point.  I recommended a Jasmine 70 Meg hard disk for
>my brother about 1 1/2 years ago.  He bought one then and it died two weeks
>ago.  Since then, he's tried calling Jasmine's support line many, many, many
>times with no luck.  Usually he gets no answer or a recording/put on hold.
>Several times he's called early trying to catch them off guard, hoping
>that maybe he'd get through.  The closest he got is a person that told him
>he must call back in 10 minutes when the support people arrive.  He did so
>with obviously no luck.
>HELP!

Hate to tell you this, but hundreds if not thousands of others
are calling the BMUG Helpline every day for recommendations on
what to do with Jasmine/how to get through to Jasmine/where is
Jasmine's office so they can firebomb it.

You might want to try contacting Rodime; Rodime is the
manufacturer of the drive in question. At least, I think it is.
I think they had a 2 year warranty on it, so you'd better
hurry. :-)

>I feel guilty for recommending Jasmine.  Has anyone had any luck getting
>through to their support people?  If so, what's the trick?
>Is Jasmine having financial problems or what?
>Now, I have another friend that wants to buy an inexpensive 20-40 Meg external
>hard disk and I don't know what to recommend.  Is there any lower cost
>hard-disk vendor that's had a good track record?
>
>Steven Miller

You might want to try some of the disk vendors that sell
Quantum drives. ThirdWave in Texas, CAI in Maryland both
have very good prices for those drives. Check the back of
MacWEEK for phone numbers. And try to make sure that the
Quantum drive was made in the last month or so, or else
leave the drive on forever. Previously made drives have
some potentially serious problems in certain kinds of
weather.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se. (Martin Carlberg) (09/13/89)

In article <780049@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) writes:

> Since then, he's tried calling Jasmine's support line many, many, many
>times with no luck.  Usually he gets no answer or a recording/put on hold.
>Several times he's called early trying to catch them off guard, hoping
>that maybe he'd get through.  The closest he got is a person that told him
>he must call back in 10 minutes when the support people arrive.  He did so
>with obviously no luck.
>
>HELP!
>
>I feel guilty for recommending Jasmine.  Has anyone had any luck getting
>through to their support people?  If so, what's the trick?

 I have called Jasmine's support line many times. It's hard to get them, but
I have a repeat last number buttom on my phone. I use that for 5 to 15 minutes
then I get thru. I have done this many times and it has work.

 They had only one number in my manual, but I found out that they had two to
there support. Have you tried them both? I don't have the numbers here but
I can get them if you want.

 I have three Jasmine drives. One did broke but Jasmine replaced it for me.
My drives works well and it has been very nice to do business with Jasmine.

- Martin Carlberg
- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) (09/14/89)

What a surprise!  I also have the apparently infamous DD70 from Jasmine,
which is almost exactly a year old (Boston Macworld last year), which has
now gone belly up (it randomly resets itself, sometime's freezing the
application, sometimes continuing on normally).  Its been a good drive
for a MacPlus...

But, I called Jasmine, like you, without much success.  My wife called
and got a receptionist after the tape recording one morning about two
weeks ago.  She took our name, phone number, and description of the problem,
and assured us someone would call back.  Well, we've called back
numerous times, at all hours of the california business day, and
no one has come on the line after their recorded message after
holding for more than 15-20 minutes!  Now, when I worked for a
customer support organization, that would have gotten me fired.  No
customer should have to hold for that long, ever.

Fortunately, the dealer I bought the drive from is a local one, and
has agreed to return the drive to Jasmine, and deal with them in
negotiating repair.  BTW, Jasmine has yet to call back, two weeks later.

I'd recommend looking at the La Cie drives these days.

                     Rus

Disclaimer: I only speak for myself from personal knowlegde.
UUCP: {decvax,pyramid,sequent}sun!sunne!ileaf!rus   Rus Sheptak
ARPA: rus@ileaf.com				    Interleaf
SNAIL:  42 Blue Hill Terrace, Milton, MA 02186      Cambridge, MA 02140

king@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) (09/14/89)

In article <1261@io.UUCP> rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) writes:

>What a surprise!  I also have the apparently infamous DD70 from Jasmine,

14 lines deleted

>Fortunately, the dealer I bought the drive from is a local one, and
>has agreed to return the drive to Jasmine, and deal with them in
>negotiating repair.  BTW, Jasmine has yet to call back, two weeks later.
>
>I'd recommend looking at the La Cie drives these days.

Maybe you'd better look further.  Our Mac lab bought a LaCie drive
which appears to be defective, but our system administrator has been
unable to talk with anyone at LaCie who is knowledgable and/or who
will authorize a return.  They also promised to call back but have
not done so.  Our guy has wasted a lot of time calling and is
really frosted with LaCie's "service".

>                     Rus
>
>Disclaimer: I only speak for myself from personal knowlegde.
>UUCP: {decvax,pyramid,sequent}sun!sunne!ileaf!rus   Rus Sheptak
>ARPA: rus@ileaf.com				    Interleaf
>SNAIL:  42 Blue Hill Terrace, Milton, MA 02186      Cambridge, MA 02140

Jim King

king@math.washington.edu

James King
Dept of Math GN-50
Univ of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
(206) 543-1915

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/14/89)

[Jasmine disks go belly up]
[La Cie disk goes belly up]

OK, I'm game: what _is_ a good, not extremely expensive Mac HD manufacturer.
How's SuperMac?  Emphasis here is on reliability and service.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
-----------------------------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

mclow@telesoft.telesoft.com (Marshall Clow @telesoft) (09/15/89)

In article <2243@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, king@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) writes:
> In article <1261@io.UUCP> rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) writes:
>>
>>What a surprise!  I also have the apparently infamous DD70 from Jasmine,
>>
> 14 lines deleted
>
>>Fortunately, the dealer I bought the drive from is a local one, and
>>has agreed to return the drive to Jasmine, and deal with them in
>>negotiating repair.  BTW, Jasmine has yet to call back, two weeks later.
>>
>>I'd recommend looking at the La Cie drives these days.
>
> Maybe you'd better look further.  Our Mac lab bought a LaCie drive
> which appears to be defective, but our system administrator has been
> unable to talk with anyone at LaCie who is knowledgable and/or who
> will authorize a return.  They also promised to call back but have
> not done so.  Our guy has wasted a lot of time calling and is
> really frosted with LaCie's "service".

	I have also had problems with LaCie's support people. We
ordered a case and software from them, and ( you know the song ),
it will be shipped Tues ( Mon ), it will be shipped Friday ( Wed ),
and so on for 2 1/2 weeks. When it arrived, ( without software ), their
receiptionist would not connect us to anyone ( they were all "out" ),
and calls were not returned. It appears that giving your name when the
receptionist asks is a bad idea. We finallyu got the software shipped
to us, but it took another week. A friend of mine had a similar
experience with LaCie, after a very pleasant conversation with them at
MacWorld SF this last Jan.

	Marshall Clow	mclow@telesoft.com

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/15/89)

In article <5395@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>[Jasmine disks go belly up]
>[La Cie disk goes belly up]
>
>OK, I'm game: what _is_ a good, not extremely expensive Mac HD manufacturer.
>How's SuperMac?  Emphasis here is on reliability and service.
>
>Robert

I know a few people at SuperMac, so I might be biased, but
their tech support is usually excellent. Not all their
drives are all that excellent, especially the ones based
on Seagate mechanisms, but you can't have it all.

SuperMac's XP100 is based on the Quamtum 105S.

--- Alex