[comp.sys.mac] Hard Drive Recommendation Needed

kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) (08/21/89)

I'm ready to add an external SCSI to my SE.  Please e-mail
recommendations (positive or negative) on drives in the
20-40Mb range.  Reliability and price are more important
than speed.  Thanks for the help.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

cs_james@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/15/89)

Surely this question has been asked before, and it will be asked again, so let
us determine once and for all which hard drive a Mac user should buy.

If those of you who know about these things could EMAIL your vote (anti-votes
will also be accepted) to: cs_james@gsbacd.uchicago.edu, I will compile and
post the results.  Thank you!
  -James-

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/15/89)

In article <5401@tank.uchicago.edu> cs_james@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Surely this question has been asked before, and it will be asked again, so let
>us determine once and for all which hard drive a Mac user should buy.
>
>If those of you who know about these things could EMAIL your vote (anti-votes
>will also be accepted) to: cs_james@gsbacd.uchicago.edu, I will compile and
>post the results.  Thank you!
>  -James-

I'm sorry, I refuse to participate in this survey. There is no way
I am going to recommend a drive blindly, without knowing what the
user really needs.

I get this question as many as five times a day, and the answer
varies from getting a Quantum 40 to getting a CDC 91 to getting a
Syquest-type drive to sticking with floppies. Sometimes I even
recommend the MicroNet 300, based on CDC drives. It all depends.
Which is why I refuse to recommend just one drive.

I'm full of ideas about what NOT to buy, though...

--- Alex