[comp.sys.mac] Mac II restart after power fail

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (09/07/89)

My understanding is that Mac II's and Mac IIx's can not be set up to restart
after a power fail (the Mac IIcx can be set to restart after power fail).

Does anyone know of a way to get Mac II's to restart after power fail?
(Some add on, or other gizmo?)

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
-------------+--------------------------------------
             | 5201 Patrick Henry Drive MS-C4
             | Box 58168
             | Santa Clara, CA 95051-8168
             | (408) 987-7319
             | AppleLink: peirce1
             | Internet:  peirce@claris.com
             | uucp:      {ames,decwrl,apple,sun}!claris!peirce

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (09/10/89)

Leave the mouse on top of the power key on the keyboard?

Actually, this may not be a good idea.  One gets interesting results
if one selects "SHUTDOWN" or "RESTART" while holding this key down.
For example, I get the "You may now shut down the Mac" dialog that one
would expect on an SE or a Plus.  Then it restarts.  But the keyboard
is dead.  The machine needs to be rebooted to get the keyboard back
to life.  I don't know if this would happen after a power failure.

						Tim Smith

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (09/11/89)

In article <22034@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>Leave the mouse on top of the power key on the keyboard?
>
>Actually, this may not be a good idea.  One gets interesting results
>if one selects "SHUTDOWN" or "RESTART" while holding this key down.
>For example, I get the "You may now shut down the Mac" dialog that one
>would expect on an SE or a Plus.  Then it restarts.  But the keyboard
>is dead.  The machine needs to be rebooted to get the keyboard back
>to life.  I don't know if this would happen after a power failure.

I also seem to remember seeing posted here about a month ago (though I won't
swear to it):

The power key on the keyboard apparently uses power from the Mac's battery to
initiate the startup procedure.  Therefore, leaving that key down all the time,
unless there's some sort of bypass while the machine is on, will drain the
battery; this will require a trip to the local Apple dealer to solder a new
battery to the motherboard.  Not real desireable...

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (09/12/89)

In article <10535@claris.com> peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) writes:
>My understanding is that Mac II's and Mac IIx's can not be set up to restart
>after a power fail (the Mac IIcx can be set to restart after power fail).
>
>Does anyone know of a way to get Mac II's to restart after power fail?
>(Some add on, or other gizmo?)
[sig deleted]

There are at least two companies that market auto power-on devices for Macs.

The first is from Ofifoto, The Mactivator Co., PO Box 115 Point Richmond, CA
94807, (415) 234-5178  Retails for $99.95  From their brochure:

     "The PowerMactivator plugs into any Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) port
      and plugs into the same power source the Mac II is plugged into;
      when power first returns after a power failure, the PowerMactivator
      automatically provides the (ADB) signal to restart the Mac II."

The other, a NuBus card from MacSema, is called MacClock II. It retails for
$199.95.  MacSema, 29283 Lamb Drive, Albany, OR  97321 (503) 757-1520

      MacClock II contains a real-time clock with battery that auto-
      matically restarts the Macintosh in case of a power failure or
      when power is applied to the electrical circuit.  MacClock II
      also starts a Macintosh system at a specified time and will
      execute macros via programs like Tempo II and QuicKeys.

I've been using a Mactivator for a while now and it appears to work as
advertised.  Good for remote power on with X-10 controllers.  Haven't
ever played with the MacClock II.

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
                         -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
   You mean yesterday was Sunday?  Really!?!  That means I'm late for work!

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (09/12/89)

In article <34647@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:

>I've been using a Mactivator for a while now and it appears to work as
>advertised.  Good for remote power on with X-10 controllers.  Haven't
>ever played with the MacClock II.

Ok, this I really gotta know.  Where does one obtain an X-10
controller that has hookups and programming software for the
Macintosh?  I realize that the indvidual modules are easily accessible
from MANY places (Dak, Mainline, Radio Shack), but I have yet to see
an X-10 unit and the Mac configuration software.

Info on vendor and price3 is appreciated.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414

In article <993@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:
>In article <34647@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>>
>>I've been using a Mactivator for a while now and it appears to work as
>>advertised.  Good for remote power on with X-10 controllers.  Haven't
>>ever played with the MacClock II.
>>
>Ok, this I really gotta know.  Where does one obtain an X-10
>controller that has hookups and programming software for the
>Macintosh?  I realize that the indvidual modules are easily accessible
>from MANY places (Dak, Mainline, Radio Shack), but I have yet to see
>an X-10 unit and the Mac configuration software.
>
>Info on vendor and price3 is appreciated.

For my application there was no special hardware or programming required.
I just used an X-10 remote phone controller to supply power to the
Mactivator - which boots the Mac II, and the rest is standard modem stuff.
The X-10 remote power controller is activated by you calling the unit and
playing codes into the phone with a supplied beeper.  I used one phone
line for both the modem and the X-10 controller.  The modem didn't answer
until after the Mac had been powered on, so everything worked fine.

I seem to remember the X-10 controller was $49 at Fry's. That was without
any outlet modules.  Another $14 or thereabouts if you don't have any.

I'm curious to know what you meant by "Mac configuration software."  If
you have some interesting application involving remote power control, give
the Mactivator people a call.  They were working on several projects when
I last talked to them. (several months ago)

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (09/14/89)

In article <34663@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>In article <993@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:
>>Ok, this I really gotta know.  Where does one obtain an X-10
>>controller that has hookups and programming software for the
>>Macintosh?  I realize that the indvidual modules are easily accessible
>>from MANY places (Dak, Mainline, Radio Shack), but I have yet to see
>>an X-10 unit and the Mac configuration software.
>
>I'm curious to know what you meant by "Mac configuration software."  If
>you have some interesting application involving remote power control, give
>the Mactivator people a call.  They were working on several projects when
>I last talked to them. (several months ago)

The software to which I refer is used on the Macintosh to allow a user
to configure the X10 controller.  A long time ago, I saw a one-time
advertisement for a company who sold an X10 controller that could be
hooked up to the serial port of a Macintosh Plus.  Software ran on the
Mac that allowed the user to program the X10 using a nice interface.
The software could then be quit and the Mac powered down, leaving the
controller to execute the newly-downloaded event configuration.

This seemed like a really optimal setup for anyone serious about using
the X10 automated controllers.

Also in Dave's response, he mentions Fry's as a place that sell X10
the X10 controller.   Does anyone have an address for this place?
What kind of dealer is this?  Any additional information is
appreciated.

Thanks

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414
                            Milwaukee, WI  53201
          (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallett@positron.med.ge.com

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (09/15/89)

Egghead ( at least, some of the stores ) has the X-10 stuff, including
the Mac controller.

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (09/15/89)

In article <1002@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:
>The software to which I refer is used on the Macintosh to allow a user
>to configure the X10 controller.  A long time ago, I saw a one-time
>advertisement for a company who sold an X10 controller that could be
>hooked up to the serial port of a Macintosh Plus.  Software ran on the
>Mac that allowed the user to program the X10 using a nice interface.
>The software could then be quit and the Mac powered down, leaving the
>controller to execute the newly-downloaded event configuration.
>This seemed like a really optimal setup for anyone serious about using
>the X10 automated controllers.

Oh yea.  I have one of those, too.  It's kind of interesting, but I wasn't
overly impressed.  The interface to the software is a little weird, and I'd
just as soon use one of the normal dedicated timer controllers.  Don't
remember where, but I remember seeing them on major sale somewhere for
around $25.  Maybe it was DAK?  Fry's has 'em.  Don't remember what price.

>Also in Dave's response, he mentions Fry's as a place that sell X10
>the X10 controller.   Does anyone have an address for this place?
>What kind of dealer is this?  Any additional information is
>appreciated.

Whoops.  Sorry about that.  Fry's has both grocery and electronic/computer
stores.  And stores that are combinations of both.  I think they're all
around silicon valley only.  (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Don't know if they do mail order.

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
                         -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 There's one big difference between genius and stupidity.  Genius has limits.

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (09/15/89)

In article <34747@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>In article <1002@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:
>>The software to which I refer is used on the Macintosh to allow a user
>>to configure the X10 controller.  A long time ago, I saw a one-time
>
>Oh yea.  I have one of those, too.  It's kind of interesting, but I wasn't
>overly impressed.  The interface to the software is a little weird, and I'd
>just as soon use one of the normal dedicated timer controllers.  Don't

I have been using this system in my home for about 5 years now and I love
it. The computer controller, despite what some people feel is a "weird"
interface, has major advantages over the normal programmable timer
controllers. First, the computer controller allows you to set times for
ALL of your controls on one controller. In other words, you can program A
and B house codes for all 16 numbers of each code from a single
controller! The timer controllers can only controll a single house code
at a time and they also control only 8 (or so) units per timer. This
means that to control a lot of units you need multiple timers running
different house codes. Secondly, the computer controller comes with a DA
that makes controllling any of your units a snap when you are sitting at
the computer (it also comes with a much more functional application).
Finally, and perhaps most importantly for some security concious people,
is the fact that you can store multiple timer configurations in files on
your mac. I have a set of normal timers (for turning off lights in the
morning after I leave, to turn on a heater in my bathroom in the morning
etc.) for everyday use, and a set of vacation timers that make the house
look as if I am there turning on and off lights in a pattern quite
similar to that which I exhibit normally.

Also, I have to say that X-10's service to me has been excellent. When I
first sold my XT and bought my MacII there was no software that would run
on that machine. X-10 modified the software twice within a couple of
weeks for me in order to get me "up and running". I really appreciated
that rapid response to my problem. More recently, I was having problems
with some commands not getting to their specified units and one of their
tech persons stayed on the phone (an 800 number) for quite some time
helping me figure out my problem I ran through the house changing the
position of the offending unit etc. Three cheers :->.

========
| Curt |
========