[comp.sys.mac] Internal Hard drive for //cx

kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) (09/13/89)

I just purchased a new IIcx and I'm looking for a hard drive to go with it.
I didn't get an apple drive because I wanted more value for my money. I'm
looking for an internal drive, somewhere around 150 megs. Obviously, I'd
like it to be fast, reliable, and inexpensive. If anyone has one that they'd
recommend or one that they definately wouldn't, I'd appreciate the info.

Andy

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (09/13/89)

In article <11593@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) writes:
}I just purchased a new IIcx and I'm looking for a hard drive to go with it.
}I didn't get an apple drive because I wanted more value for my money. I'm
}looking for an internal drive, somewhere around 150 megs. Obviously, I'd
}like it to be fast, reliable, and inexpensive. If anyone has one that they'd
}recommend or one that they definately wouldn't, I'd appreciate the info.

Contact MicroNet Technology at (714) 837-6033 (Irvine, CA).  They have just
developed a bracket which will allow a 5 1/4" drive to mount in the Mac IIcx.
This will allow drives like the CDC Wren series to work (very fast drives,
storage up to about 170mb in half-height form).

No relation other than a satisfied customer.
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (09/13/89)

In article <493@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>In article <11593@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) writes:
>}I just purchased a new IIcx and I'm looking for a hard drive to go with it.
>}I didn't get an apple drive because I wanted more value for my money. I'm
>}looking for an internal drive, somewhere around 150 megs. Obviously, I'd
>}like it to be fast, reliable, and inexpensive. If anyone has one that they'd
>}recommend or one that they definately wouldn't, I'd appreciate the info.
>
>Contact MicroNet Technology at (714) 837-6033 (Irvine, CA).  They have just
>developed a bracket which will allow a 5 1/4" drive to mount in the Mac IIcx.
>This will allow drives like the CDC Wren series to work (very fast drives,
>storage up to about 170mb in half-height form).

CDC (once Imprimis, now a subsidiary of Seagate) has also developed a 3
1/2" high-capacity series known as the Swift.  These format to 160-172
megs with excellent speed (18 ms access times).  There should be several
OEM drive manufacturers with these drives available; MicroNet would be
one of them.  Of course, when you get a CDC drive, it's not going to
be inexpensive (compared to some others), but it will probably be more
reliable and faster.  CDC's reputation has always been good; of course,
it may take a while to gauge the effects of Seagate's takeover.

My feeling is, if you've decided to pay the premium for the advantages
the Macintosh offers, you owe it to yourself to use quality peripherals.
In the sense that a hard disk is the heart of a computer, you're best
off with the best one available.  Besides, over the life span of most
drives (4 - 5 years) the difference in cost amortizes to something
much less considerable than a comparison of list prices would lead you
to believe.

No connection with any of the companies mentioned above (except as a
very satisfied owner of a CDC Wren drive).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (09/14/89)

In article <1989Sep13.161949.10517@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>In article <493@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>>In article <11593@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) writes:
>>}I just purchased a new IIcx and I'm looking for a hard drive to go with it.
>>}I didn't get an apple drive because I wanted more value for my money. I'm
>>}looking for an internal drive, somewhere around 150 megs. Obviously, I'd
>>}like it to be fast, reliable, and inexpensive. If anyone has one that they'd
>>}recommend or one that they definately wouldn't, I'd appreciate the info.
>>
>>Contact MicroNet Technology at (714) 837-6033 (Irvine, CA).  They have just
>>developed a bracket which will allow a 5 1/4" drive to mount in the Mac IIcx.
>>This will allow drives like the CDC Wren series to work (very fast drives,
>>storage up to about 170mb in half-height form).
>>

>CDC (once Imprimis, now a subsidiary of Seagate) has also developed a 3
>1/2" high-capacity series known as the Swift.  These format to 160-172
>megs with excellent speed (18 ms access times).  There should be several
>OEM drive manufacturers with these drives available; MicroNet would be
>one of them.  Of course, when you get a CDC drive, it's not going to
>be inexpensive (compared to some others), but it will probably be more
>reliable and faster.  CDC's reputation has always been good; of course,
>it may take a while to gauge the effects of Seagate's takeover.
>John Heckendorn

Well, I have one of the Wren V half heights (173 meg) on order.  There were
some delays getting the bracket into production (The first batch they got
from the plastic molding company was apparently a little weak in one corner
and they sent them back for a redesign) But they supposedly started quantity
shipments yesterday.  They make 105/173/303/404 megabytes for 1695/2245/4495/
4695 dollars (list price).

Anyway, the way they were pitching these drives (which are based on Wren V and
VI half-height 5 1/4 mechanisms) at macworld is that while the 3 1/2 can have
good access times (ie the quantum at 19ms or 12 with cache) they can not
match the 5 1/4" mechanisms for transfer rate.  They have a pretty convincing
chart of "SCSI Evaluator" results, and a graph of time to do a hypercard
slide show. (They were convincing enough to get me to order after 2 days
touring around looking at different drives)>

Anyway, I may have the drive in a couple of days, Ill post with impressions
once its in (And disktimer results).

I have no connection with Micronet other than as a soon to be (hopefully
satisfied) customer.

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/15/89)

In article <11593@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kessler@schof.colorado.edu (Andrew Kessler) writes:
>I just purchased a new IIcx and I'm looking for a hard drive to go with it.
>I didn't get an apple drive because I wanted more value for my money. I'm
>looking for an internal drive, somewhere around 150 megs. Obviously, I'd

(It's a IIcx, not //cx.)

Consider an external drive.  The number of parts to go wrong is about
the same, but the result is much more flexible.

If something goes wrong with either your IIcx or your external disk,
you will still have the other to use.  Also, if you ever want to hook
up your disk to someone else's machine (I do it all the time) an
external will let you.

Internals do have the advantages of giving you a single box on your
desk, and having a single, simple power switch.

As to brands, I have an `old' (10 month) LaCie.  70 meg Epson
mechanism.  Works great.  But these days LaCie isn't using that
mechanism.  They seem to be Quantums (other than the drives Apple
bought for the IIcx, good reputation), Imprimis (only heard good
things about them), and a friend ordered one at MacWorld which is a
Fujitsu (he is having problems getting it to boot over another drive
in the chain, but he has too many partitions already loaded down to
isolate the problem easily).

Generally nicely done, small, fast, quiet, long warranty, padded
carrying case included, at a good price--and as far as I know--LaCie
still answers their phones.

Really want an internal?  LaCie used to sell them too, but I don't see
them in recent ads.  Phone and ask.  (800-999-0143)

Disclaimer: My only relation to LaCie is that of a satisfied customer
who knows about 5 other people who are also happy with their LaCie's.
--
Kent Borg				"You know me, bright ideas
kent@lloyd.uucp				 just pop into my head!"