[comp.sys.mac] Ott Computer Safety Light

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/04/89)

I just received by U.S. Mail an advertisement for the "Ott Computer
Safety Light."  This is a device, designed by the "internationally
recognized photobiologist" (photobiologist?), John Ott, for the purpose
of providing "important energy to help us overcome the negative effects
of radiation leaked from other sources."  For a mere $195, plus $18
shipping, I could be the proud owner of one of these Ott Computer
Safety Lights, and protect myself from the bad radiation coming from my
Macintosh.

I wish I had a scanner here, or enough free time to type in the entire
contents of this ridiculous package, which includes a personal letter
from the head of the distributing company (Hell, the signature is even
Xeroxed!), testimonials, and a photograph of something which appears so
cheaply made that KMart would refuse to handle it.  Well, maybe just a
few lines, my comments indented.

"The Ott Computer Safety Light gives computer users the right kind of
light as an overall energy boost."

  The caffeine solution I use now works just fine.

"Unlike other lighting fixtures, the Ott Computer Safety Light comes with
its own switch and power cord."

"It is protected by three U.S. and two international patents."

"All living things are photobiotic-they need light to live and thrive."

  Tell that to my athlete's foot fungus.

"When exposed to Ott Computer Safety Light, in minutes, the blood clumps
actually dissolve."

  Vzntvar gur vzcyvpngvbaf sbe gur srzvavar ultvrar vaqhfgel.  Naq lbh
  qrfreir guvf sbe ebg13-vat guvf cntr!

"Pennsylvania's Department of Agriculture showed that chicken coops with
Ott Lights produce eggs with 25% less cholesterol.  The study further
found that the hens were calmer, fought less, produced more eggs, and
lived twice as long as their counterparts raised under conventional
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
flourescent lights."

  Buy this light, live for an average of 140 years.

"Dr. John Ott has written several noted books and scientific papers..."

  Funny the Dartmouth College Library Online Catalog doesn't list Dr. Ott's
  books.

"Dr. Ott has also received... ...an honorary Doctor of Science degree from
Loyola University."

  Big fat hairy deal.  I don't intend to criticize Loyola University or
  its policy of granting degrees here, but would you open your mouth to
  someone who had an honorary Doctor of Dental Surgery degree?  I thought not.

"This offer has been submitted solely for the benefit of selected, highly
qualified users of Macintosh computers in the home."

  Which one of you rat-fink magazine circulation departments sold these
  bozos my name?  When I find out, I'm canceling my subscription.

"You won't be able to find it in any store."

  Of course not, stores have product quality standards.

The whole thing reminded me of a television portrayal of a nineteenth
century medicine show, complete with elixir of life made from snake
oil and water dipped from Ponce de Leon's lost fountain of youth.  I
did the same thing with this package that I do with all unsolicited
mail that insults my intelligence and comes with a Business Reply Mail
envelope.  I stuffed all the advertising materials, along with my
insulting reply, into the envelope and popped it into the nearest
mailbox.  I sincerely thank Mr. Twomey, my ninth grade English
teacher, for teaching me this trick.

Earle R. Horton

klash@bmerh488.uucp (Karl Klashinsky) (09/05/89)

In article <15388@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
> [a bunch of stuff about some miracle light]
>
> [...]                                                             I
>did the same thing with this package that I do with all unsolicited
>mail that insults my intelligence and comes with a Business Reply Mail
>envelope.  I stuffed all the advertising materials, along with my
>insulting reply, into the envelope and popped it into the nearest
>mailbox.  I sincerely thank Mr. Twomey, my ninth grade English
>teacher, for teaching me this trick.
>
>Earle R. Horton

Apparently, these companies that use 'Business Reply Mail' pay for
the return mail by WEIGHT of mail returned.  So the best way to
get truly even (and to get your name taken off of a mailing list)
is to tape the 'Business Reply Mail' envelope to the back of a
brick.

Now if everyone took the time to do this, maybe junk mail would
end once and for all.

--
Karl Klashinsky                              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.
UUCP: ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hobbes!klash  Ottawa, Ont, Canada

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (09/05/89)

It's inspiration is probably from a study done that correlated (?)
depression with amount/type/goochee^4 of light.

>"Unlike other lighting fixtures, the Ott Computer Safety Light comes with
>its own switch and power cord."

Wow, what features, I'll take two! :-)

>"Dr. John Ott has written several noted books and scientific papers..."
>Funny the Dartmouth College Library Online Catalog doesn't list Dr. Ott's books

Perfectly true.
Hey, it didn't say whether the guy *>published<* , just that he wrote several
books and papers.  His friend must have noted them "yes, indeed, he wrote some
books and papers".   My 4 year old niece wrote several papers and books, also!
(eh, make that wrote ON several books :-), and the papers had a pretty design)

>"This offer has been submitted solely for the benefit of selected, highly
>qualified users of Macintosh computers in the home."

You are also a prefered customer who qualifies for no payment until Jan.1
(and in .1 point type, "interest rate only 25% ")

>  Which one of you rat-fink magazine circulation departments sold these
>  bozos my name?  When I find out, I'm canceling my subscription.

hey, face it, now you're on everyone's sucker list :-) :-) :-) :-)

>envelope.  I stuffed all the advertising materials, along with my
>insulting reply, into the envelope and popped it into the nearest mailbox.

You forgot the brick and I hope that you took your name sticker off first:-) :-)

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (09/06/89)

In article <181@bmers58.UUCP> klash@hobbes.UUCP (Karl Klashinsky) writes:

>Apparently, these companies that use 'Business Reply Mail' pay for
>the return mail by WEIGHT of mail returned.  So the best way to
>get truly even (and to get your name taken off of a mailing list)
>is to tape the 'Business Reply Mail' envelope to the back of a
>brick.

As suggested in Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book"... Unfortunately, as far
as I know, they (that is, "They") got wise to this technique and now put
some sort of cap on maximum weight per unit or something...  So
envelope-stuffing seems to be the best solution.

>Now if everyone took the time to do this, maybe junk mail would
>end once and for all.

Come on!  Without junk mail, we would lose yet another source of entertaining
net-clog... :-)

--

Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.bitnet
>is to tape the 'Business Reply Mail' envelope to the back of a
>brick.

No no no, it doesn't work. A friend who works for the post office tells
me that they just throw away all Business Reply Bricks. However, you
*can* stick a heavy piece of sheet metal in the envelope.

But if you REALLY want to be taken off mailing lists, write to:

	Direct Mail/Marketing Association
	6 East 43rd Street
	New York, NY 10017

They will send you a form that will, in fact, get your name removed
from some (but not all) mailing lists.

-- Jerry Callen
   ...!uunet!inmet!callen

Sorry, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Macs...

kenr@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Ken Rich) (09/09/89)

Hi-

( a long rambling story to counter a long rambling story )

Everybody here at the University of Rochester who knows me and my
Ott Computer Safety Light thinks I'm crazy-loony-fullabulloney.
Actually what I have is the 'Enegy Light' if I remember right.
Anyway the story is:
I was doing a lot of running multiple VMS
sessions using a vt220 and a Mac with macIP and every night I'd
go home feeling like absolute fried sh*t and my eyes were growing
floaters and felt worse than the rest of me and i was getting alarmed.
For some reason I thought the tubes and the fluorescent lighting
were responsible, plus having moved into 8 hours a day of looking
at fuzzy marks on tubes, instead of just 2 to 4.
I realized at some point that
on days i only used the vt220 i only felt like 1/2 fried m*nure
and started to wonder.  Then I ran into some Ott literature, though
I'd read about it before.  He was very concerned about the effects
of oscillating magnetic fields on red-blooded sorts ( note that
athlete's foot contains neither of the great multiporphyrins or
whatever they are, known locally as hemoglobin and chlorophyll )
and i started to think maybe he has something there.  Then my
office mate started using two terminals every day while monitoring
some mvs-ish item and I started feeling like fried sh*t runover
by a Mack Truck every night.  I'd go home and do absolutely nothing:
No Energy, burning eyes, constricted brain.
I started feeling like i could count how many CRTs were on in a given
room just by how lousy i felt.  One day I had my stuff
off and was discussing a project with a coworker and started feeling
like at least 4 or 5 of the 6 tubes in the room were on.  I was
too involved in interesting stuff to be too bothered that only 2
were on.  When the discussion ended and the botherment came
on strong, I realized that during the meeting i'd oonched back until
my head was a good 12 inches from the screen of a running ibm 3178c.
I knew in my gut then that it was more than eyestrain.
So I got a light.  At first i didn't feel like it helped me
much because it didn't do much for eyestrain directly.  Also the
walletstrain bothered me some.  But...during the 2 weeks following
getting the light I finished renovating our front entryway which
i had barely started working on over the previous 3 months.  I came
home and did stuff.  My wife commented that i was suddenly much
easier to live with.  So my only evidence against it being just
placebo effect is that the results I got were not the results I
was expecting.  But they were great results anyway.  As for the
eye strain, since to receive the greatest benefit from an Ott
light the UV tube should shine unobstructedly into the pupil,
I arranged the terminal so i could work without wearing my glasses
at least part of the time.  Mine are glass and are opaque to UV
as are most plastic ones as well.  That and using an old pair of
my wife's old weak glasses have cured most of the eyestrain
problems...I'm nearsighted, though.
I'll agree Ott's language is not too scientific sounding to
those of us close to the hard sciences and academia, etc.
But is that a reason to flame the poor guy?
Even now i can't run the Mac and the vt both all day.
I had wondered why I seem to be so much more sensitive to this
stuff than everyone else around here.  A couple people have
mentioned they always feel cruddy at the end of the day
something like I described, but only one person tried the
light.  He said it helped but they didn't think it was
worth the money.  Then one day giving blood, i found out that
the droplet of blood in the blue liquid test was a test for
iron content, and they commented that mine was very high
in iron, what did I do, eat nails?  I do eat carefully, having
been anemic when i was a kid.  Ott theorizes that the iron
in hemoglobin gets magnetized by terminals's oscillating
magnetic fields.  So the lesson is: stay anemic, guys and gals,
and the terminals won't bother you so much.  Maybe.  Pretty sad.

I wont go into low vs. high energy UV, skin cancer, cataracts,
thinning ozone.  My eye doctor is very impressed with the
health of my corneas.  i AM interested in trying one of those
Xray filters too.

Feel free to come snort some rays...@ UCC, Towne House 134,
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY

Ken Rich		kenr@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
///////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/10/89)

In article <2979@ur-cc.UUCP> kenr@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Ken Rich) writes:
>eye strain, since to receive the greatest benefit from an Ott
>light the UV tube should shine unobstructedly into the pupil,

You ARE aware that recent research indicates that it's the UV from CRTs
that hurt the eyes the most (can cause blindness, and a disease that I
son't know the english name of where the lens in your eyes opaquifies (sp?))
and that black-on-white screens are the WORST and amber screens (such as
your VT 220 ?) have almost no UV light ? I really think you should
reconsider having UV light "directly into your pupil".

Why do you think they make you wear those black goggles when you use a
solarium ? (at least the recommend them here... Don't know about the rest
of the world)

Oh, by the way, organic iron (such as in hemoglobin) has no magnetic
properties. It only has in pure form, and certain alloys.

h+@nada.kth.se
--
Moooo.

pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) (09/12/89)

In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>You ARE aware that recent research indicates that it's the UV from CRTs
>that hurt the eyes the most (can cause blindness, and a disease that I

I was under the impression that most glass is opaque to UV.  Is there any
reason the glass used in CRTs wouldn't have this property?

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/12/89)

In article <11557@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU
	(Jonathan Pratt) writes:
>In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>>
>>You ARE aware that recent research indicates that it's the UV from CRTs
>>that hurt the eyes the most (can cause blindness, and a disease that I
>
>I was under the impression that most glass is opaque to UV.  Is there any
>reason the glass used in CRTs wouldn't have this property?

No, but the situation is more complicated than that.  It is true that
glass has an absorption band in the ultraviolet, and that therefore
glass will stop most ultraviolet light.  There are many types of glass,
however, and each type has its characteristic resonant frequency and
bandwidth for absorption.  What this means is that for each given glass
type, some UV will get through, and the frequencies passed will depend
on the types and amounts of impurities in the glass.  There is really
no such thing as perfectly opaque.

Furthermore, since the absorption band is in the UV, it follows that if
you make the frequency high enough, light will start to get through
again.  As a rule of thumb, the higher the frequency, the more damage to
living tissue.

There are tables of optical properties of glass, but without consulting
these I am confident that for some combinations of glass type and
CRT electronics there is some leakage of UV and some risk.  If you want
to be sure, then look up the actual research papers.

My eyes hurt like heck now, but I am quite sure that it is just my
contacts drying out.

Earle R. Horton

straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) (09/12/89)

In article <15525@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU| earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
|In article <11557@boulder.Colorado.EDU| pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU
|	(Jonathan Pratt) writes:
||In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se| h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
|||You ARE aware that recent research indicates that it's the UV from CRTs
|||that hurt the eyes the most (can cause blindness, and a disease that I
||I was under the impression that most glass is opaque to UV.  Is there any
||reason the glass used in CRTs wouldn't have this property?
|
|No, but the situation is more complicated than that.  It is true that
|glass has an absorption band in the ultraviolet, and that therefore

BTW, most ALL plastics are pretty much opaque to UV, at least the shorter UV
wavelenghts.  I'm not sure where the cutoff it, but it's FAR away from where
the ~250nM mercury line is.

Back in an earlier life, when I did semiconductor processing, I found that
a layer of polyimide about 1 micron thick was essentially opaque to that
250nM short-wave UV light, enough that EPROMS could not be erased through it.
--
Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane syntax of UNIX(R), but without the power.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/12/89)

In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>You ARE aware that recent research indicates that it's the UV from CRTs
>that hurt the eyes the most (can cause blindness, and a disease that I

In article <11557@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) writes:
>I was under the impression that most glass is opaque to UV.  Is there any
>reason the glass used in CRTs wouldn't have this property?

Not opaque, but it reduces UV, especially UVB and UVC (which we don't
see much of down here below the ozone layer... :-)

UVA goes through though (think of solariums...) so a pair of Ray Bans in
front of the mac isn't that wasted. And it looks cool :-)

h+@nada.kth.se
--
A penny saved is ridiculous.

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (09/13/89)

In article <1624@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>>[deleted]
>In article <11557@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) writes:
[remainder deleted]

Come on, folks....this thread does not belong in this newsgroup.  It's crowded
enough already.  SO CUT IT OUT!!!!

M. A. Pasek

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (09/15/89)

In article <11557@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) writes:
>In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>I was under the impression that most glass is opaque to UV.  Is there any
>reason the glass used in CRTs wouldn't have this property?
Well, to cross the bounds of newsgroups :=), COnsumer Reports did
a pretty detailed article on UV and glass and plastic last spring.  Granted
it was w.r.t. sunglasses, but go check it out anyway.

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!carl
54 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge,MA 02140 617-864-0201
"disclaimer? I'm not a doctor, but I do have a Master's Degree in Science!"

d88-jwa@phaesula.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (09/16/89)

In article <931@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa (Carl Witthoft) writes:
>In article <11557@boulder.Colorado.EDU> pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) writes:
>>In article <1589@draken.nada.kth.se> h+@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>>I was under the impression that most glass is opaque to UV.  Is there any
>>reason the glass used in CRTs wouldn't have this property?

The quote should not be attributed me, but to Jonathan Pratt.

Also, have anyone discovered any difference in the color of environmental
light and it's impact on glare in the screen ?

I should think that a blue light would cause less glare than a yellow
light, sine the screen is blue-ish. Am I right or wrong ?

THIS is where you can really DO something about eyestrain; the surrounding
environment.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after you.