[comp.sys.mac] Dialup to SUMEX ?

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (09/14/89)

We have a closed internet here at HP, and therefore I do not have access
to the nationwide internet that all of the universities are on.
Therefore it is impossible for me to FTP stuff from SUMEX-AIM and other
places.

Is there dial-up access to SUMEX that I could use kermit/XMODEM to
download stuff? Can anyone help me here ?

Dave Waller
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Workstation Group
Pacific Technology Park
1266 Kifer Rd.
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave | dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Standard disclaimer:                |  "I refuse to put anything in quotes  |
| The opinions expressed above are    |   in this space"                      |
| solely my own, and in no way reflect|                                       |
| those of my employer.               |                                       |
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/16/89)

In article <1570017@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
>We have a closed internet here at HP, and therefore I do not have access
>to the nationwide internet that all of the universities are on.
>Therefore it is impossible for me to FTP stuff from SUMEX-AIM and other
>places.
>
>Is there dial-up access to SUMEX that I could use kermit/XMODEM to
>download stuff? Can anyone help me here ?

   I don't know what you're interested in particular but as long as you
   have access to e-mail you may request files from `list-servers' at
   various places all over the globe.  These are special programs that
   read your e-mailed requests, decode and act upon it.  SUMEX-AIM
   Macintosh archive is mirrored (usually with a 2 week delay) at
   the Rice University. Simply send mail to `listserv@rice.bitnet'
   with the following body (subject-line doesn't matter BUT the comments
   below are NOT to be included in the message):

   info                                 ; general info about the archive
   help                                 ; how to access it
   $macarch get $macarch.contents       ; a list of all the Macintosh files
                                        ; present, matches Sumex-Aim more or
                                        ; less
                                        ; You may also consider sending them
   register FirstName LastName          ; your name for easier decoding

   There are several other, easily accessible, listserv-equipped archives.
   As they tend to be quite specific (rather than general) it is no use
   listing them here. Ask instead about existence of such in same-specific-
   subject groups on Usenet.

--
---- You just survived another load of gross exaggerations from
------- Ian Feldman, the ASCII hacker  /  "I work to live, not the