[comp.sys.mac] Chip Merchant- Is it realiable?

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (09/14/89)

I remeber a while ago a lot of messages on memory.  Me and some friends are
going to buy about 8 Megs and I wanted to be sure that Chip Merchant is a
reliable company.  PLEASE E-MAIL, SO NOT TO CLUTTER THE NET.

Public Utility message:
Chip Merchant-> 1 Meg SIMMS, 80 ns -> $89.00 They don't take credit cards.

Thanks!!!

Email: pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
"If we knew how it works, it wouldn't be called research."

c60a-2bf@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Michael K. Ellis) (09/14/89)

In article <20884@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
>I remeber a while ago a lot of messages on memory.  Me and some friends are
>going to buy about 8 Megs and I wanted to be sure that Chip Merchant is a
>reliable company.  PLEASE E-MAIL, SO NOT TO CLUTTER THE NET.
>Public Utility message:
>Chip Merchant-> 1 Meg SIMMS, 80 ns -> $89.00 They don't take credit cards.
>--
>pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF

DO POST TO NET.  I want to know who these guys are and if they're reliable
too.  I finally got tired of chugging along on an unmodified SE and I'm
in the mood for another 2meg of memory or so.  If the $89.00 price is
legit I might very well become a customer of these guys.  Oh, if somebody
wants to include an address or phone number along with a review, I'd be
much obliged.  Thanks.

Michael K. Ellis			ellis@ocf.berkeley.edu
				     c60a-2bf@weaver.berkeley.edu
"I was ready to sacrifice my life (for kempo), but not my *manhood*!!"
					Ranma Saotome as Ranma-chan
"Darling no BAKA!!" Lum
"Ranma no BAKA!!" Akane
"Picard no BAKA!!" The Star Trek: TNG anime in-joke I'm just waiting to see!

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (09/14/89)

***
*** In article <1989Sep14.113643.4346@agate.berkeley.edu>,
*** c60a-2bf@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Michael K. Ellis) writes:
***

>In article <20884@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) writes:
>>I remeber a while ago a lot of messages on memory.  Me and some friends are
>>going to buy about 8 Megs and I wanted to be sure that Chip Merchant is a
>>reliable company.  PLEASE E-MAIL, SO NOT TO CLUTTER THE NET.
>>Public Utility message:
>>Chip Merchant-> 1 Meg SIMMS, 80 ns -> $89.00 They don't take credit cards.
>>--
>>pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
>

>DO POST TO NET.  I want to know who these guys are and if they're reliable
>Michael K. Ellis			ellis@ocf.berkeley.edu

I have purchased a couple of math coprocessors and some memory for IBM
equipment from these people.  They have been very reliable.  Of course I
always pay the little extra for C.O.D.  but I feel more secure doing it
that way.  They may require cash if it's your first time doing business
with them.

   Marty Adelman
   cpl-mfh!martya@cs.buffalo.edu
   sunybcs!cpl-mfh!martya

g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000037502;0;745;352;) (09/15/89)

>Public Utility message:
>Chip Merchant-> 1 Meg SIMMS, 80 ns -> $89.00 They don't take credit cards.
WRONG!! They're 100 ns. Don't make this mistake.

RatRunner@cup.portal.com (Geoff RatRunner Crooks) (09/15/89)

Is Chip Merchant reliable?  Define reliable...
If you mean do the chips work, well, they sure seem to.  I popped 4mb into
a friends SE the other day, and it's still chugging along nicely... these wer
the 1MB low profile surface mount SIMMs... Sorry, but I don't remember how
fast they were... I think they were 120ns.. but could have been 80ns.  Anyway
they shipped them right away... unfortunately they don't take credit cards..
Certified Check or Money Order I believe.  Hope this help make up your mind.
Geoff.
gcrooks@unc.bitnet
RatRunner@cup.portal.com

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (09/15/89)

In article <5322@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Colin OngE) writes:

>>Public Utility message:
>>Chip Merchant-> 1 Meg SIMMS, 80 ns -> $89.00 They don't take credit cards.
>WRONG!! They're 100 ns. Don't make this mistake.

Actually, they are both (or either).  It depends on what they have in
stock the day you order (they will only take orders if they have simms
in stock, its frustrating some days, but ok since they have an 800 number).

This week I got one order of 80's and one of 100's.  They will always
tell you what they are shipping that day if you ask.  Anyway, at the
moment it couldn't matter less what speed you get as long as they are
120 or better.  Obviously the IIci may need 80's when announced next week,
but I've not heard that in the specs yet.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (09/16/89)

[buying SIMM's from Chip Merchants]

What the heck, might as well add to the clutter....(-8

I just upgraded to 4 megs, using chips from a local business. The only thing
I'm leery of where Chip Merchants is concerned is that their chips have a
5-year warranty. Many, many chips on the market have lifetime warranties.

Seems like NOW is a good time to buy chips. Prices are really down. Chip
Merchants has them for $89, while they were $110 just a few weeks ago. The
store where I got mine had 100ns chips for $99, and they installed them
while I waited. Lifetime warranty, too.

Chip Merchants will ship COD, Next Day UPS, whatever you want. For what it's
worth, their current SIMM's are made by Samsung.

I must add, go to 4 megs if at ALL possible. 2.5 is great, but 4 is TERRIFIC!

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu