[comp.sys.mac] Hard drive questions

sarrel@osu-eddie.UUCP (11/23/86)

Right now I own a Mac 512e.  I want to buy an external (I don't like fans)
hard drive.  I have two main concerns.

First, I would like to get a SCSI drive for both the speed and conveinience.
All my ports are being used.  This means that I either have to upgrade to a
Plus or get a separate SCSI port from the drive manufacturer.  Has anybody
got any experience with these ports?  I eventually (long term) would like to
get a plus, mostly for the port and the memory.  Is it really worth my while
to get the seperate port, or should I go for the plus upgrade and not waste
my money on something that will eventually become redundant or useless.

Second, I still have to decide on which brand of drive.  (I'm not sure about
size, probably 20M, but who knows).  I have heard very good things about
SuperMac's DataFrame, especially now that they have the faster XP version
out.  However, two adds in the latest "Macuser" interested me.  First was the
from Warp Nine.  Their prices seem lower than SuperMac's.  Does anyone have
any experience with this company?  What about its noise level?  Can you
_really_ put it underneath the Mac as the add suggests?  The other add is
from a company I've never heard of before:  PROAPP.  They have a 40M drive
with sub-30ms access time.  It is of the same design as the DataFrame (vertical).  Has anyone heard of these guys?  The add doesn't say much else; stuff
like "user-friendly software".

I'd appreciate any comments, observations, criticisms or experience that
you can offer.

Thanks in Advance,

Marc

P.S.  does anyone know the latest about the 1Meg chips?

gdavis@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (09/16/89)

Does anyone have experience with the new Cobra drive from Rodime.
I'm looking for a drive around 80-100 M, and a dealer I trust has
recommended the Cobra. I know Rodime is having difficulties, but
he insists that the drive is excellent and Rodime will recover.

Another trustworthy dealer recommends GCC. The problem here is that they
use the infamous Quantum 80. GCC claims they haven't had any trouble
with them but they've only been selling them since August, and people
on the net have said the drives tend to fail after 3 months, just after
Apple's warranty is up.

I know there are other drive possibilities, but I prefer to buy drives
from local dealers. I've also been offered MicroNet, but they're a bit
pricey. Maybe they're worth it, since I hear they're good, and a main
concern of mine is avoiding future hassles.

Any help with deciding on a drive would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Davis

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/16/89)

In article <764@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> gdavis@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) writes:
>Another trustworthy dealer recommends GCC. The problem here is that they
>use the infamous Quantum 80. GCC claims they haven't had any trouble
>with them but they've only been selling them since August, and people
>on the net have said the drives tend to fail after 3 months, just after
>Apple's warranty is up.

You didn't say whether you were looking for an internal, or external, but
I'll answer for both.

GCC uses a Quantum 80 in it's UltraDrive 80Si internal hard disk.
GCC sells two 80 meg external units.  The first is a less expensive,
more megs for the bucks, UltraDrive 80.  This uses a Seagate drive.
The more expensive, high-performance 80 meg drive is the UltraDrive
80S which uses a QuantumPro 80 meg drive.

I do know that GCC has been using the Quantums for quite some time
and they have not been having any problems to the best of my knowledge.
If you're scared about the drive going bad after three months, don't
worry.  GCC has a two-year warranty on all their drives.

Disclaimer:  I used to work for them over the summer, but regardless of
             that I think all their products are top-notch.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock  '90                     | E-mail: (BITNET/UUCP/INTERNET)
Computer Resource Center Consultant  |    isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/17/89)

In article <764@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> gdavis@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) writes:
>Does anyone have experience with the new Cobra drive from Rodime.
>I'm looking for a drive around 80-100 M, and a dealer I trust has
>recommended the Cobra. I know Rodime is having difficulties, but
>he insists that the drive is excellent and Rodime will recover.

The Rodime Cobras are, actually, pretty good. Steve (BMUG's technical
director) has been testing a Cobra for quite a while, and it hasn't
even burped.

Good speed (18 ms), good data stransfer speed and fairly reliable.

>Another trustworthy dealer recommends GCC. The problem here is that they
>use the infamous Quantum 80. GCC claims they haven't had any trouble
>with them but they've only been selling them since August, and people
>on the net have said the drives tend to fail after 3 months, just after
>Apple's warranty is up.

I haven't heard of very many failures of drives other than the Apple
drives. In other words, the problem with Quantums seems to be isolated
to Apple.

>I know there are other drive possibilities, but I prefer to buy drives
>from local dealers. I've also been offered MicroNet, but they're a bit
>pricey. Maybe they're worth it, since I hear they're good, and a main
>concern of mine is avoiding future hassles.

MicroNet is a very good company, and their president is a hard drive
freak. He's forgotten more about hard drives than I'll ever know. He'll
tell you which drive is more reliable or more suited to a job than
another one, even among the drives he sells.

>Gary Davis

--- Alex

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (09/17/89)

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) writes:
>MicroNet is a very good company, and their president is a hard drive
>freak. He's forgotten more about hard drives than I'll ever know. He'll
>tell you which drive is more reliable or more suited to a job than
>another one, even among the drives he sells.
>
>--- Alex

Alex, are you ghost-writing for David Ramsey these days?  That same blurb
appears almost verbatim in his "Help Desk" column in the 12 Sept 1989 MacWeek!
:-)
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (09/18/89)

He must have read my mind. Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.

--- Alex "a David Ramsey clone?"